Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

On 30-1-2017 at 6:08 PM, Prince Brightfyre said:

I made a huge mistake. I meant true born son, not natural born 

Longwaters (given name unknown) was a knight of great renown and son of Ser Jon Waters, the bastard son of Princess Elaena Targaryen and Lord Alyn Velaryon. As a trueborn son, he added "Long" to his "Waters" name to show he was not himself baseborn. His line survives today in Rennifer Longwaters.[1]

My point was, that I was questioning the chances of Jon (a bastard) marrying the daughter of a noble house from the north (House Long, as per the suggestion of the inspiration his son had for his new surname). I wasn't talking about any potential marriage his son would have been in.

17 hours ago, Oakhearts head said:

Is it probable that Barristan Selmy's fellow Kingsguard were aware of his coming dismissal (and Jaime replacing him as Lord Commander) that day, or were they likely left in the dark and their reaction of laughing at him was genuine? 

it seems the Council knows for sure. Slynt is quick to explain to Selmy and they already have lands set aside near Lannisport for him. 

There's no indication that KG were surprised at the dismissal. Nobody spoke up in Selmy's defense. They laughed right off the bat and were quick to intercede when he drew his sword... It feels like they knew.  In fact it would have been smart to tell the ones who were firmly in Cersei's pocket just in case things went awry. No way to know for sure. 

On 1/31/2017 at 3:36 PM, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

My point was, that I was questioning the chances of Jon (a bastard) marrying the daughter of a noble house from the north (House Long, as per the suggestion of the inspiration his son had for his new surname). I wasn't talking about any potential marriage his son would have been in.

On 1/30/2017 at 11:08 AM, Prince Brightfyre said:

I made a huge mistake. I meant true born son, not natural born 

Longwaters (given name unknown) was a knight of great renown and son of Ser Jon Waters, the bastard son of Princess Elaena Targaryen and Lord Alyn Velaryon. As a trueborn son, he added "Long" to his "Waters" name to show he was not himself baseborn. His line survives today in Rennifer Longwaters.[1]

Let me backtrack for a moment and admit that I thought Jon Waters was the man who changed his name to Longwaters, not his son.  (Oops.)

I'm not only trying to figure out who Jon Waters or his son married.  I'm looking for an instance outside of Dorne where a man took on his mother's or wife's surname.  

So we assumed Longthorpe was the most likely candidate for a bride for either Jon Waters or his son.  If Jon Waters married her, then his son would be taking on his father's and mother's last name.  Or if the son married into House Longthorpe, he would be taking his wife's name and his own and combining them to make a new house name.  Make sense? 

(Or Long- was just a short of random add-on.  In which case, I did find a source that states the Chinese surname Long means "dragon.")

ETA: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_(surname_%E9%BE%8D)

http://surnames.behindthename.com/name/long/submitted

@Isobel Harper

Or Long- was just a short of random add-on.  In which case, I did find a source that states the Chinese surname Long means "dragon.")

This was the impression I was under, that the son was a great and known knight, and wanted to distinguish himself from being a "Waters",so he chose Long (for no special reason) to show he himself was not bastard born. 

On 1/20/2017 at 9:45 AM, Blue Tiger said:

Some have speculated it's Septon Barth's 'Unnatural History' - Baelor had all copies he could find burned, but Dorne wasn't part of the Seven Kingdoms back then.

Aren't we told a couple times that only fragments have survived? I doubt there are any complete copies in Dorne. I feel like if there were the Dornish would have shared them with the Citadel in the years since they joined the Seven Kingdoms. They may have burnt them during Baelor's reign due to the influence of the faith. Though I don't know that any copies would have made it to Dorne to begin with. The Targaryens probably wouldn't have wanted the Dornish to know too much about their dragons.

13 minutes ago, The Mother of The Others said:

So we still dont know when we're getting a book?   I've been gone for ehhh 18 months or so, snuck in to see if any big announcement was billboarded atop the forum.   Well see you next year.

We miss you. 

14 hours ago, The Mother of The Others said:

So we still dont know when we're getting a book?   I've been gone for ehhh 18 months or so, snuck in to see if any big announcement was billboarded atop the forum.   Well see you next year.

We don't have  a release date for TWOW, no, but On October 10, 2017 the anthology "The Book of Swords" will be released with a historical account by Archmaester Gyldayn about the reigns of Aenys I and Maegor I, called The Sons of the Dragon (previously partially read at two different cons).

32 minutes ago, Prince Brightfyre said:

Is there any mention throughout the books of any kind of piece of jewelry or something worn to show one's worship of the Faith?

There are at least a couple instances of people using seven pointed stars as clasps for their cloaks.

[Robert Strong's] armor was plate steel, enameled white and bright as a maiden's hopes, and worn over gilded mail. A greathelm hid his face. From its crest streamed seven silken plumes in the rainbow colors of the Faith. A pair of golden seven-pointed stars clasped his billowing cloak at the shoulders.

Baelor Blacktyde was more difficult to please. He sat by Victarion's elbow in his lambswool tunic of black-and-green vairy, smooth-faced and comely. His cloak was sable, and pinned with a silver seven-pointed star. 

11 minutes ago, The Fresh PtwP said:

Was Ilyn Payne with Jaime at Pennytree?

I don't think so...

Pennytree proved to be a much larger village than he had anticipated. The war had been here too; blackened orchards and the scorched shells of broken houses testified to that. But for every home in ruins three more had been rebuilt. Through the gathering blue dusk Jaime glimpsed fresh thatch upon a score of roofs, and doors made of raw green wood. Between a duck pond and a blacksmith's forge, he came upon the tree that gave the place its name, an oak ancient and tall. Its gnarled roots twisted in and out of the earth like a nest of slow brown serpents, and hundreds of old copper pennies had been nailed to its huge trunk.

Peck stared at the tree, then at the empty houses. "Where are the people?"

"Hiding," Jaime told him.

Inside the homes all the fires had been put out, but some still smoked, and none of them were cold. The nanny goat that Hot Harry Merrell found rooting through a vegetable garden was the only living creature to be seen … but the village had a holdfast as strong as any in the riverlands, with thick stone walls twelve feet high, and Jaime knew that was where he'd find the villagers. They hid behind those walls when raiders came, that' s why there' s still a village here. And they are hiding there again, from me. He rode Honor up to the holdfast gates. "You in the holdfast. We mean you no harm. We're king's men."

Faces appeared on the wall above the gate. "They was king's men burned our village," one man called down. "Before that, some other king's men took our sheep. They were for a different king, but that didn't matter none to our sheep. King's men killed Harsley and Ser Ormond, and raped Lacey till she died."

"Not my men," Jaime said. "Will you open your gates?"

"When you're gone we will."

Ser Kennos rode close to him. "We could break that gate down easy enough, or put it to the torch."

"While they drop stones on us and feather us with arrows." Jaime shook his head. "It would be a bloody business, and for what? These people have done us no harm. We'll shelter in the houses, but I'll have no stealing. We have our own provisions."

As a half-moon crept up the sky, they staked their horses out in the village commons and supped on salted mutton, dried apples, and hard cheese. Jaime ate sparingly and shared a skin of wine with Peck and Hos the hostage. He tried to count the pennies nailed to the old oak, but there were too many of them and he kept losing count. What' s that all about? The Blackwood boy would tell him if he asked, but that would spoil the mystery. He posted sentries to see that no one left the confines of the village. He sent out scouts as well, to make certain no enemy took them unawares. It was near midnight when two came riding back with a woman they had taken captive. "She rode up bold as you please, m'lord, demanding words with you."

Jaime scrambled to his feet. "My lady. I had not thought to see you again so soon." Gods be good, she looks ten years older than when I saw her last. And what' s happened to her face? "That bandage … you've been wounded …"

"A bite." She touched the hilt of her sword, the sword that he had given her. Oathkeeper. "My lord, you gave me a quest."

"The girl. Have you found her?"

"I have," said Brienne, Maid of Tarth. "Where is she?"

"A day's ride. I can take you to her, ser … but you will need to come alone. Elsewise, the Hound will kill her."

2 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Though his presence is not specifically mentioned, I would assume that he was there, yes. Jaime had no reason to leave any of his men behind at Riverrun, nor Raventree Hall.

Yes, I would assume his host was with him him, but not in his immediate presence when Brienne showed up late that night in the hour of some critter or other. The two scouts were the only ones mentioned, and I would assume Pia and his squires were there but perhaps sleeping. 

Archived