Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

hello again!
regarding the timeline document:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZsY3lcDDtTdBWp1Gx6mfkdtZT6-Gk0kdTGeSC_Dj7WM/edit#gid=8

is it indeed the most up to date/precise document available for general public reference at this time?  if there are other timeline documents (outside of that google documnet and the wiki's history information) available, could someone post links?

THANKS in ADVANCE !

12 minutes ago, Yaya said:

hello again!
regarding the timeline document:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZsY3lcDDtTdBWp1Gx6mfkdtZT6-Gk0kdTGeSC_Dj7WM/edit#gid=8

is it indeed the most up to date/precise document available for general public reference at this time?  if there are other timeline documents (outside of that google documnet and the wiki's history information) available, could someone post links?

THANKS in ADVANCE !

A LOT of careful anlysis, reasoning and estimating was put into that timeline. And several people bounced ideas back and forth to fine tune it. 

It is just an approximation though. 

On 2/5/2017 at 11:17 AM, Lost Melnibonean said:

A LOT of careful anlysis, reasoning and estimating was put into that timeline. And several people bounced ideas back and forth to fine tune it. 

Especially considering not even Martin can apparently keep his timeline straight. Still its an excellent resource in the ASOIAF community.

So i have random question, that doesn't merit a thread on its own. Are there any instances of Targs acknowledging their distance relatives (trough marriage as per example BOB is of Targ descent partially ) as cousins?

Or they never considered anyone part of "the family" that didn't have the proper name?

49 minutes ago, Nocturne said:

So i have random question, that doesn't merit a thread on its own. Are there any instances of Targs acknowledging their distance relatives (trough marriage as per example BOB is of Targ descent partially ) as cousins?

Or they never considered anyone part of "the family" that didn't have the proper name?

Aegon V called Bloodraven his cousin in The Mystery Knight, and Aelinor Penrose is listed as a cousin to Aerys I. Prince Aemond calls his three Velaryon nephews "cousins", and Lucerys Velaryon described Rhaena Targaryen as his cousin as well.

Historical works use the term more frequently. Aemma Arryn is described as Viserys I's cousin, and Laenor Velaryon and Jeyne Arryn as Rhaenyra's. Alyssa Velaryon is described as Aenys I's cousin, Alyn Velaryon as Daeron I's cousin, and Steffon Baratheon as Aerys II's cousin.

On 2/5/2017 at 11:17 AM, Lost Melnibonean said:

Anyone else notice that Jon turns 15 before Robb does.

Jon turns 15 on 8/2.

Robb turns 15 on 9/13.

Thoughts?

On 2/8/2017 at 11:48 PM, Lord Wraith said:

Anyone else notice that Jon turns 15 before Robb does.

Jon turns 15 on 8/2.

Robb turns 15 on 9/13.

Thoughts?

I believe someone else on these threads figured out another explanation that shows Jon being older, even though the books say Robb is older. I can't remember the reasoning, but I just asked them again, because I always thought Jon was older as well, and the line that says something like, "bastards always grow up faster," was just a way to throw everyone off, or to make Robb even more 'legit' because he is older. But, I have been wrong before.

I am taking it that you found this from the online timeline project since you have the months in there?

5 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I believe someone else on these threads figured out another explanation that shows Robb being older. I can't remember the reasoning, but I just asked them again, because I always thought Jon was older as well, and the line that says something like, "bastards always grow up faster," was just a way to throw everyone off, or to make Robb even more 'legit' because he is older. But, I have been wrong before.

I am taking it that you found this from the online timeline project since you have the months in there?

Yup on the timeline project. As someone who enjoys alternatives to R+L=J this might be something. 

There is no really solid evidence that I can recall offhand either way on the actual ages of Jon and Robb.  However, Jon had to have been born at the time of the sack or a bit later, for puerperal fever to have been the cause of Lyanna's death.  And, we know that Catelyn takes Robb to Winterfell after the war, as anewborn.  My impression of the reading in the first few chapters of GoT was that Jon was a fortnight younger than Robb.  Also, we know that the sack of King's Landing was quite late, like tenth month of 283.  The Battle of the Bells was fought before Ned and Catelyn wed, and was the first battle in 283.  Afterwards, Ned is away near a year (Catelyn says year, putting Robb's age at 3 months when she travels to Winterfell, yes?) 

I take these trial timelines with a huge grain of salt.  They appear to be proffered by those who have an agenda, and when errors are pointed out, they vehemently oppose having the errors corrected. 

1 hour ago, Lord Wraith said:

Yup on the timeline project. As someone who enjoys alternatives to R+L=J this might be something. 

exactly my thinking LW i'm trying to calendar this down so i can better wrap my brain around it
(i totally appreciate that time line document everyone who worked on it deserves 10 points)

TFL - are you a R+L=J theorist ?  :)

Here's a for instance:  Daenerys was born 8-9 months after Jon.  She was born no more than 9 months after Rhaella left King's Landing, if Aerys is her father.  She says that she was born nine months after Rhaella left King's Landing.  We know that the Trident was the motive for Rhaella to leave King's Landing.  Daenerys was born within nine months of Rhaegar's death.  Jon was born within a month after Rhaegar's death.  Daenerys was born during a "summer" storm.  I wouldn't put May or even June into the summer months, yet early May is given as Daenerys' nameday on that timeline. 

My reading is that The Trident and sack happened in October (maybe November).  Jon was born a week or so after the sack.  Daenerys was born in July (or possibly August) of 284. 

6 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I believe someone else on these threads figured out another explanation that shows Robb being older. I can't remember the reasoning, but I just asked them again, because I always thought Jon was older as well, and the line that says something like, "bastards always grow up faster," was just a way to throw everyone off, or to make Robb even more 'legit' because he is older. But, I have been wrong before.

Yeah, I think with the info we have so far we can't be 100% sure who is older. We get bits, like what characters say and other stuff, but it could still go either way. 

42 minutes ago, MtnLion said:

Daenerys was born during a "summer" storm.  I wouldn't put May or even June into the summer months, yet early May is given as Daenerys' nameday on that timeline.

Given the Westerosi seasons, where in the year her nameday falls does not determine whether it was during summer or winter.

3 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Does it matter whether Robb or Jon is older? 

In universe, yes. To us, not really unless confirmed.

37 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Leaving Robb and Jon's ages and who's older etc open also creates another layer of mystery regarding Jon's real age which in turn can have an impact on his parentage. 

Why? Whether he's Jon Snow or Aemon Targaryen he was born sometime after the Battle of the Trident and before Stannis sailed for Dragonstone. 

no it does matter if Jon is Eddard's oldest son, bastard title or not - because the bastard title can be decreed as bah these days in westeros - he is therefore eligible if not legally entitled to be the heir to winterfell.

this potential truth, Jon being older, could also sway heirship his way even if he is Lyanna's son.

it could be important.  being a king of winter might have prerequisites or being the winterfell heir maybe a prereq for being a king of winter or something along those lines.

3 hours ago, Yaya said:

exactly my thinking LW i'm trying to calendar this down so i can better wrap my brain around it
(i totally appreciate that time line document everyone who worked on it deserves 10 points)

TFL - are you a R+L=J theorist ?  :)

While I admit that R+L=J is probably true I have my doubts. My favorite alternative is Ned+Ashara= Jon. I do theorize but haven't written any about it. I only discuss the things that better people have written. Plenty of people have written them. I can direct you to some if you are so interested.

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

Leaving Robb and Jon's ages and who's older etc open also creates another layer of mystery regarding Jon's real age which in turn can have an impact on his parentage. 

Agreed.  

6 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Why? Whether he's Jon Snow or Aemon Targaryen he was born sometime after the Battle of the Trident and before Stannis sailed for Dragonstone. 

Because if Jon's age/"dob" is uncertain a number of options regarding his parentage are at least possible.

Archived