Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

Catelyn broke the seal.
Her eyes moved over the words. At first they made no sense to her. Then she remembered. "Lysa took no chances. When we were girls together, we had a private language, she and I."
"Can you read it?"

"Yes," Catelyn admitted.

If the letter is in a private language that only Cat and Lysa can read why did she immediately burn the letter after?

5 hours ago, Lord Wraith said:

If the letter is in a private language that only Cat and Lysa can read why did she immediately burn the letter after?

Maybe she feared that someone will find it and even without understanding the content start wondering why Catelyn Stark receives encrypted letters from the Eyrie?

6 hours ago, Lord Wraith said:

Encrypted letters can still be decoded. And the content on its own was dangerous enough not to be kept around longer than absolutely necessary, as it accused the queen of being involved in the murder of the Hand of the King.

We also do not know what kind of secret language it was, so it is possible that Cersei's name was still written just as it would have been in the Common Tongue, in which case it would be even more dangerous if the letter was discovered.

9 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Encrypted letters can still be decoded. And the content on its own was dangerous enough not to be kept around longer than absolutely necessary, as it accused the queen of being involved in the murder of the Hand of the King.

We also do not know what kind of secret language it was, so it is possible that Cersei's name was still written just as it would have been in the Common Tongue, in which case it would be even more dangerous if the letter was discovered.

Also, since it was a language they created as girls, chances are it was not all that complicated (my mother and her sister did the same thing, and sometimes they still speak it to each other--at first blush, it sounds like gobbledygook, but if you pay attention, it's basically a variation on Pig-Latin). And Catelyn has been known to add some dramatic flair when she's saying something she is serious about (in this case, cross the room naked and cast the note into the fire).

In light of having just read a lot of arguments about who wrote the Pink Letter, what I am wondering is when and how Ramsay learned to read and write at all.

I don't mean to say illiteracy might be a potential argument against his having written it; it seems reasonably established in DwD Asha I that he actually wrote the letter he sent to Balon in his own hand:

"Ramsay Bolton, Lord of Winterfell, he signs himself. But there are other names as well." Lady Dustin, Lady Cerwyn, and four Ryswells had appended their own signatures beneath his. Beside them was drawn a crude giant, the mark of some Umber.

Those were done in maester's ink, made of soot and coal tar, but the message above was scrawled in brown in a huge, spiky hand. It spoke of the fall of Moat Cailin, of the triumphant return of the Warden of the North to his domains, of a marriage soon to be made. The first words were, "I write this letter in the blood of ironmen," the last, "I send you each a piece of prince. Linger in my lands, and share his fate."

I'm just wondering how he managed to not be illiterate. Ramsay grew up at the mill, not in the Dreadfort, and Roose sent Westerosi child support and the original Reek, not a maester.

A year later this same wench had the impudence to turn up at the Dreadfort with a squalling, red-faced monster that she claimed was my own get. I should've had the mother whipped and thrown her child down a well … but the babe did have my eyes. She told me that when her dead husband's brother saw those eyes, he beat her bloody and drove her from the mill. That annoyed me, so I gave her the mill and had the brother's tongue cut out, to make certain he did not go running to Winterfell with tales that might disturb Lord Rickard. Each year I sent the woman some piglets and chickens and a bag of stars, on the understanding that she was never to tell the boy who had fathered him.

No one could stand to be near [ the first Reek ], so he slept with the pigs … until the day that Ramsay's mother appeared at my gates to demand that I provide a servant for my bastard, who was growing up wild and unruly. I gave her Reek. It was meant to be amusing, but he and Ramsay became inseparable.

- DwD, Reek III

I suppose it's possible that Domeric had him taught his letters? I did not get the impression that Ramsay was with him all that long before he got rid of him, but I think that's just a gut feeling.

On 26-2-2017 at 0:32 AM, Therae said:

In light of having just read a lot of arguments about who wrote the Pink Letter, what I am wondering is when and how Ramsay learned to read and write at all.

I don't mean to say illiteracy might be a potential argument against his having written it; it seems reasonably established in DwD Asha I that he actually wrote the letter he sent to Balon in his own hand:

I'm just wondering how he managed to not be illiterate. Ramsay grew up at the mill, not in the Dreadfort, and Roose sent Westerosi child support and the original Reek, not a maester.

I suppose it's possible that Domeric had him taught his letters? I did not get the impression that Ramsay was with him all that long before he got rid of him, but I think that's just a gut feeling.

Ramsay had been at the Dreadfort for some two years before. He could have learned during that time..

Here's a small question with no set answer...what if Ramsay didn't kill Domeric? Roose could have his own reasons for claiming it, or may even believe it, but there's no proof. Domeric sought Ramsay out and may be the one person who actually cared about him and wanted him around.

1 hour ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Here's a small question with no set answer...what if Ramsay didn't kill Domeric? Roose could have his own reasons for claiming it, or may even believe it, but there's no proof. Domeric sought Ramsay out and may be the one person who actually cared about him and wanted him around.

Hmm, it could have been the original Reek, who did it out of jealousy. 

15 hours ago, Isobel Harper said:

Hmm, it could have been the original Reek, who did it out of jealousy. 

15 hours ago, Lord Wraith said:

That or Ramsay's dear mum or both together.

Or it could have been he just died. Or worse...Roose had him killed because he didn't have enough Bolton-ness to him.

21 minutes ago, Therae said:

He did seem like he was very nice, really, and not remotely Boltony.

Have you been in on the thread about Brandon and whether or not he had sons? A couple of people have suggested that Domeric was Brandon's. If Roose suspected something like that, I wouldn't put it past him to do something about it. Or even to order Ramsay to kill him and then act like he's all innocent and it's all Ramsay's fault.

7 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Or it could have been he just died. Or worse...Roose had him killed because he didn't have enough Bolton-ness to him.

That always struck me as really stupid on Roose's part especially with a psycho like Ramsay. Roose even get on him about being too overt in his Bolton-ness. Remember a "quiet land and a peaceful folk." Not rape, hunt, and flay everything you come across.

Who specifically holds custody over wards/hostages in Kings Landing? There are a few examples throughout the books, namely Sansa Stark and Hoster Blackwood. Are they specifically looked after and cared for by the royal family in the Red Keep?

On 3/1/2017 at 9:59 AM, Lady Blizzardborn said:
On 2/28/2017 at 6:50 PM, Lord Wraith said:

I don't think so, mainly because it paints Roose in a very black and white light.

Small, silly question here.:blushing:

Do we have a list of what chapters were pushed from one book to the next? I know this is talked about somewhere, but I just cannot seem to find it and I am sure it is in the last place I will look ;)

Archived