Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

7 hours ago, Oakhearts head said:

Who specifically holds custody over wards/hostages in Kings Landing? There are a few examples throughout the books, namely Sansa Stark and Hoster Blackwood. Are they specifically looked after and cared for by the royal family in the Red Keep?

Sansa became a ward of the crown when Eddard was arrested for treason, and Robb rose up in rebellion. Joffrey was king, but Cersei stood as his regent.

Cersei looked at their uncle in disbelief. "Sansa is my hostage. She goes nowhere without my leave."

Tyrion III, Storm 19.

After Sansa was wed to Tyrion, he became her lord husband. Tyrion’s allegiance was to Lord Tywin. Since his trial, Tyrion was found guilty of regicide, and he stands accused of murdering his lord father. He is a fugitive, as is Sansa, who stands accused of regicide as well.

Jaime demanded a hostage from Lord Tytos of House Blackwood, but not as his own ward since he already had more than enough squires. Hoster was to be taken to the Red Keep, where he would become a ward of the crown (the king or regent, or possibly a queen regnant), assuming he gets to King’s Landing, and assuming some Lannister or Tyrell still wants him as a hostage. (Jaime, Dance 48)

27 minutes ago, Nittanian said:

THIs is a nicely compiled bit of info for TWOW, some of which I had not read before.

Do you happen to know of one for the previous books. I know something exists, it is just playing hide and seek with me. 

WTF are blood blooms? 

Closer to the towers, corpses littered the ground on every side. Blood-blooms had sprouted from their gaping wounds, pale flowers with petals plump and moist as a woman's lips.

Reek II, Dance 20

13 minutes ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

I don't really have a problem with that. Roose is plenty dark as it is.

Agreed. He gets some grey from his unexpected fondness for his little Walda, and it seems like he is genuinely sorry (at least, as genuinely sorry as Roose gets) that the death of her children (by him!) would cause her grief, even though he's not fussed at all by the idea that Ramsay is going to kill them.

8 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

I don't really have a problem with that. Roose is plenty dark as it is.

Fair enough. I just don't like the idea that George would write one of his characters to kill his own son because "he's not eviiiiiiiiiil enough. Muahahahahahahaha." Doesn't seem like GRRM. 

On 3/2/2017 at 0:00 PM, The Fattest Leech said:

THIs is a nicely compiled bit of info for TWOW, some of which I had not read before.

Do you happen to know of one for the previous books. I know something exists, it is just playing hide and seek with me. 

I'm not familiar with an earlier resource. Maybe @BryndenBFish knows?

13 hours ago, Oakhearts head said:

Fair enough. I just don't like the idea that George would write one of his characters to kill his own son because "he's not eviiiiiiiiiil enough. Muahahahahahahaha." Doesn't seem like GRRM. 

Well I don't think it's likely either. I just thought it was worth mentioning. I'd find it far more likely that he pressured Ramsay into doing it.

The captains of the king's warships Wildwind, Prince Aemon, and River Arrow were honored next, along with some under officers from Godsgrace, Lance, Lady of Silk, and Ramshead. As near as Sansa could tell, their chief accomplishment had been surviving the battle on the river, a feat that few enough could boast. Hallyne the Pyromancer and the masters of the Alchemists' Guild received the king's thanks as well, and Hallyne was raised to the style of lord, though Sansa noted that neither lands nor castle accompanied the title, which made the alchemist no more a true lord than Varys was. A more significant lordship by far was granted to Ser Lancel Lannister. Joffrey awarded him the lands, castle, and rights of House Darry, whose last child lord had perished during the fighting in the riverlands, "leaving no trueborn heirs of lawful Darry blood, but only a bastard cousin."

Who is the bastard cousin of Darry?

1 hour ago, Isobel Harper said:

The captains of the king's warships Wildwind, Prince Aemon, and River Arrow were honored next, along with some under officers from Godsgrace, Lance, Lady of Silk, and Ramshead. As near as Sansa could tell, their chief accomplishment had been surviving the battle on the river, a feat that few enough could boast. Hallyne the Pyromancer and the masters of the Alchemists' Guild received the king's thanks as well, and Hallyne was raised to the style of lord, though Sansa noted that neither lands nor castle accompanied the title, which made the alchemist no more a true lord than Varys was. A more significant lordship by far was granted to Ser Lancel Lannister. Joffrey awarded him the lands, castle, and rights of House Darry, whose last child lord had perished during the fighting in the riverlands, "leaving no trueborn heirs of lawful Darry blood, but only a bastard cousin."

I don't know, but it would make for a cool user name. 

15 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Maybe, just maybe... Blood blooms are weirwoods?

Or have a connection certainly.

4 hours ago, Isobel Harper said:

There are two prevailing theories that I am familiar with. One is Tristain Rivers, a captain of the Golden Company. My preferred candidate is Humfrey Waters, former captain of the Dragon Gate and recently appointed Commander of the Gold Cloaks.

I've been thinking about this quote about the black cat, from AGOT:

"That's the real king of this castle right there," one of the gold cloaks had told her [Arya]. "Older than sin and twice as mean. One time, the king was feasting the queen's father, and that black bastard hopped up on the table and snatched a roast quail right out of Lord Tywin's fingers...."

Some people have linked the cat with Jon, some with Rhaenys or Bloodraven - lots of good theories, but the roast quail story puzzles me.

So my question is: has anyone at any time stolen some prize from Lord Tywin? Snatched it out of his metaphorical fingers?

2 minutes ago, Springwatch said:

Some people have linked the cat with Jon, some with Rhaenys or Bloodraven - lots of good theories, but the roast quail story puzzles me.

So my question is: has anyone at any time stolen some prize from Lord Tywin? Snatched it out of his metaphorical fingers?

I always read that part as some sort of foreshadowing snatch from Tywin as well. 

The only thing I can think of in this moment is when Cat snatches Jaime, the golden child. Jaime was once a hope for Tywin to continue the Lannister name, but a lot changed when Jaime returned. Part of that is the conflict of interest of Tywin's influence with the Red Wedding, while on the other "hand" Jaime is trying to bring the Stark girls home. 

(Brief version because I am on my phone) 

4 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I always read that part as some sort of foreshadowing snatch from Tywin as well. 

The only thing I can think of in this moment is when Cat snatches Jaime, the golden child...

Thanks, that's a good one. Now I come to think of it, Jaime was stolen twice - the first time when Aerys took him for his Kingsguard.

25 minutes ago, Springwatch said:

Varys would have us believe that he snatched Aegon from Tywin’s metaphorical fingers.  

Archived