Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

On 3/9/2017 at 11:47 PM, Lord Wraith said:

We really don't know. We haven't really seen enough of those characters IMO. I'd say House Yronwood would probably have the least of the Rhoynish influence if there is any. Nymeria's third husband was a Dayne so I am sure they picked up some Rhoynish customs.

I know Dorne has its own accents but how much of it is clearly Rhoynish or how much of it is simply Dornish, since Dorne has always been culturally seperate from the other kingdoms.

On 3/10/2017 at 2:19 AM, Lost Melnibonean said:

Yronwood, Dayne, etc. may by stony Dornishmen, but they're still Dornishmen. 

Sure, but to someone ignorant of Southern Westeros, other than a sigil and simple geography, would there be any discernible difference between a Stony Dornishman and someone born in say the Reach or the Stormlands?

2 hours ago, Oakhearts head said:

Sure, but to someone ignorant of Southern Westeros, other than a sigil and simple geography, would there be any discernible difference between a Stony Dornishman and someone born in say the Reach or the Stormlands?

Check the wiki entry for Dornishmen under Ethnicity. 

If Sweet Robert died and Harry the heir became Lord of the Eyrie is it likely he would keep the last name Hardyng or would he become Lord Harrold Arryn?

I expect he would change his name. I expect that kind of thing has been done a lot over the past several thousand years. 

48 minutes ago, Oakhearts head said:

Probably. Could you list examples similar to the scenario I posed to back this up?

Nope. But I can't imagine a true patrilineal line of Starks for 400 hundred generations. That's about as fanciful as fire breathing dragons and white walkers. 

Probably. Could you list examples similar to the scenario I posed to back this up?

Following the death of King Gerold III Lannister, the husband of Gerold's daughter, Joffrey Lydden, took the last name Lannister to rule as the King of the Westerlands, and when Beren Tallhart is suggested as heir to Hornwood lands, it is suggested that he'd change his last name to Hornwood as well.

1 hour ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

When Ramsay wrote from Barrowton to Asha at Deepwood, he said, “I send you each a piece of prince.” Besides Asha, to whom did he write and send a piece of Theon's skin? 

Roose has a piece of Theon's skin when he tells Robb and Catelyn about it before the Red Wedding.

"Did Ramsay mention Theon Greyjoy?" Robb demanded. "Was he slain as well, or did he flee?"

Roose Bolton removed a ragged strip of leather from the pouch at his belt. "My son sent this with his letter."

Ser Wendel turned his fat face away. Robin Flint and Smalljon Umber exchanged a look, and the Greatjon snorted like a bull. "Is that ... skin?" said Robb.

"The skin from the little finger of Theon Greyjoy's left hand. My son is cruel, I confess it. And yet ... what is a little skin, against the lives of two young princes? You were their mother, my lady. May I offer you this ... small token of revenge?" (A Storm of Swords 566) 

I assume this means Ramsay sent the letter to Roose, with its piece of skin, at Harrenhal or the Twins. Ravens would not reach him in the field and riders could not get past Moat Cailin. Of course, there could be more recipients of bits of Theon. Balon Greyjoy would be a likely candidate. Perhaps something was sent to Robb at Riverrun after he left.

41 minutes ago, SFDanny said:

Roose has a piece of Theon's skin when he tells Robb and Catelyn about it before the Red Wedding.

I assume this means Ramsay sent the letter to Roose, with its piece of skin, at Harrenhal or the Twins. Ravens would not reach him in the field and riders could not get past Moat Cailin. Of course, there could be more recipients of bits of Theon. Balon Greyjoy would be a likely candidate. Perhaps something was sent to Robb at Riverrun after he left.

Ramsay sent the skin to Roose before the red wedding. He sent the skin the skin to Asha after Roose et al. arrived at Barrowton. 

I'm thinking Dagmer at Torrhen’s Square...

23 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Ramsay sent the skin to Roose before the red wedding. He sent the skin the skin to Asha after Roose et al. arrived at Barrowton. 

By which you assume the "each" must mean pieces of skin sent at the same time? I'm not seeing the problem here.

Ahh ... I see your edit. Possibly, but I think  a letter to Pyke is more likely.

7 minutes ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Where is Ryam Redwyne specified as the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard?

ASoS, Jaime VIII:

He looked about the Round Room once more. White wool hangings covered the walls, and there was a white shield and two crossed longswords mounted above the hearth. The chair behind the table was old black oak, with cushions of blanched cowhide, the leather worn thin. Worn by the bony arse of Barristan the Bold and Ser Gerold Hightower before him, by Prince Aemon the Dragonknight, Ser Ryam Redwyne, and the Demon of Darry, by Ser Duncan the Tall and the Pale Griffin Alyn Connington. How could the Kingslayer belong in such exalted company?

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

ASoS, Jaime VIII:

He looked about the Round Room once more. White wool hangings covered the walls, and there was a white shield and two crossed longswords mounted above the hearth. The chair behind the table was old black oak, with cushions of blanched cowhide, the leather worn thin. Worn by the bony arse of Barristan the Bold and Ser Gerold Hightower before him, by Prince Aemon the Dragonknight, Ser Ryam Redwyne, and the Demon of Darry, by Ser Duncan the Tall and the Pale Griffin Alyn Connington. How could the Kingslayer belong in such exalted company?

Thanks!

On 3/2/2017 at 9:09 AM, The Fattest Leech said:

Small, silly question here.:blushing:

Do we have a list of what chapters were pushed from one book to the next? I know this is talked about somewhere, but I just cannot seem to find it and I am sure it is in the last place I will look ;)

of course it would be......why continue to look after finding it?;)

Archived