Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

8 hours ago, Oakhearts head said:

What exactly was Tyrion doing with himself in the months leading up to the royal family visiting Winterfell? Was he living in Casterly Rock or Kings Landing?

He would have been living at Casterly Rock, and travelled with Tywin to the tourney at King's Landing for Joffrey's birthday. I suspect he remained there, to avoid having to travel to Casterly Rock with Tywin, and Cersei, and Joffrey as his companions, and as such, was at KL when Jon Arryn died and Robert decided to travel north.

13 hours ago, Aegon VII said:

Is there a scene in the books where Cersei says that singers will make a song about Joffrey killing Nymeria? or anyone referencing that that's how the day's events would be remembered, as Joff killing the wolf?

I'm not 100% certain, but I'm reasonably sure that not. Cersei distorted the truth in front of Robert, and wanted Arya dead (quote below), but I don't recall her ever speaking about singers making the song about the incident.

"Do you see that window, ser?" Jaime used a sword to point. "That was Raymun Darry's bedchamber. Where King Robert slept, on our return from Winterfell. Ned Stark's daughter had run off after her wolf savaged Joff, you'll recall. My sister wanted the girl to lose a hand. The old penalty, for striking one of the blood royal. Robert told her she was cruel and mad. They fought for half the night . . . well, Cersei fought, and Robert drank. Past midnight, the queen summoned me inside. The king was passed out snoring on the Myrish carpet. I asked my sister if she wanted me to carry him to bed. She told me I should carry her to bed, and shrugged out of her robe. I took her on Raymun Darry's bed after stepping over Robert. If His Grace had woken I would have killed him there and then. He would not have been the first king to die upon my sword . . . but you know that story, don't you?" He slashed at a tree branch, shearing it in half. "As I was fucking her, Cersei cried, 'I want.' I thought that she meant me, but it was the Stark girl that she wanted, maimed or dead." The things I do for love. "It was only by chance that Stark's own men found the girl before me. If I had come on her first . . ."

21 hours ago, Aegon VII said:

Is there a scene in the books where Cersei says that singers will make a song about Joffrey killing Nymeria? or anyone referencing that that's how the day's events would be remembered, as Joff killing the wolf?

I think that was just the show.

In the books, Cersei pretty much explains to Sansa that Joffrey treats her the way he does because he's taking out his embarrassment over the total dearth of bragging rights he got out of that situation:

"Joffrey will show you no such devotion, I fear. You could thank your sister for that, if she weren't dead. He's never been able to forget that day on the Trident when you saw her shame him, so he shames you in turn. You're stronger than you seem, though. I expect you'll survive a bit of humiliation. I did. You may never love the king, but you'll love his children." (CoK, Sansa IV)

(Also in the books, but not in the show, Renly takes a good jab at Joffrey in front of everyone for getting his backside handed to him by a little girl with a stick, so I don't think there's much chance of songs featuring Joff the Hero coming out of that.) 

And then Joffrey actually corrects Sansa about who killed Lady (although he hasn't concerned himself with recalling that it wasn't actually Lady who bit him):

"Silence, fool." Joffrey lifted his crossbow and pointed it at her face. "You Starks are as unnatural as those wolves of yours. I've not forgotten how your monster savaged me."

"That was Arya's wolf," she said. "Lady never hurt you, but you killed her anyway."

"No, your father did," Joff said, "but I killed your father.  (CoK, Sansa III)

7 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

So, Harry was Jon Arryn's heir before Robert was born, right?? For almost 10 years? If that's true, wouldn't you think Harry would have been close to Jon? Or at least fostered at the Eyrie while Jon was hand. 

Considering that Jon had taken a wife shortly after losing his former heir, I would think that Jon believed he would soon have an heir by Lysa (she had proven to be fertile, so he had little reason to doubt it at first). And Lysa was pregnant on multiple occasions. She miscarried five times, and gave birth to two stillborn children. Though we do not know how many of these pregnancies occurred before Robert's birth in 292 AC, some 9 years after their marriage, some are likely to have taken place before (especially the two miscarriages at the Eyrie).

So with the hopes of a son to be born within a few years, Jon might have believed that keeping Harrold close would create a danger for the claim of his own son. 

On 3/22/2017 at 6:39 PM, Bob Sacamano said:

So, Harry was Jon Arryn's heir before Robert was born, right?? For almost 10 years? If that's true, wouldn't you think Harry would have been close to Jon? Or at least fostered at the Eyrie while Jon was hand. 

I can't imagine why Jon Arryn would want his heir brought to King's Landing and all of it's intrigues and struggles. He has no choice with Sweetrobin because his mother would not allow her son to be apart from her. The presence of Lysa in King's Landing during Harry's childhood and the corruption of King's Landing kind of rules out Harry being physically close to Lord Arryn when he is a boy. As he grew from boyhood into manhood, Harry should be with those Jon has the most confidence in raising the boy in a way that prepares him to be a High Lord. I think the answer to your question comes in the estimation Lord Arryn had of Nestor Royce and of Lady Anya Waynwood. I think the descriptions of the two in A Feast for Crows shows Lady Waynwood to be the better bet of where to raise Harry.

I wonder, are here any Japanese A Song of Ice and Fire readers around? I'm dabbling a little in Japanese and just came to speculate how some of the character's names are transcibed officially and Google refuses to give me anything other than the book covers.

For example, I'm wondering about Melisandre's name. It should be in Katakana, right? An approximation of myself is メリサン, but I'm not sure I did that right, especially with that 'n' pushed into the middle of it.

From Alayne's last chapter in Feast.

He did not hold her kiss against her. “You would not believe half of what is happening in King’s Landing, sweetling. Cersei stumbles from one idiocy to the next, helped along by her council of the deaf, the dim, and the blind. I always anticipated that she would beggar the realm and destroy herself, but I never expected she would do it quite so fast. It is quite vexing. I had hoped to have four or five quiet years to plant some seeds and allow some fruits to ripen, but now … it is a good thing that I thrive on chaos. What little peace and order the five kings left us will not long survive the three queens, I fear.”

“Three queens?” She did not understand.

Nor did Petyr choose to explain. Instead, he smiled and said, “I have brought my sweet girl back a gift.”

Two of the queens are Cersei and Margaery. Who is the third? Is he revealing what he plans to do with Sansa? Or is Petyr talking about Dany?

I have not read the Alayne chapter from TWoW, but if that chapter helps in this question I don't mind being spoiled.

38 minutes ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

From Alayne's last chapter in Feast.

Two of the queens are Cersei and Margaery. Who is the third? Is he revealing what he plans to do with Sansa? Or is Petyr talking about Dany?

I have not read the Alayne chapter from TWoW, but if that chapter helps in this question I don't mind being spoiled.

This is not a small question. There have been several threads on the topic. 

Couldn't find a thread on it, but in AGOT, Daenerys I:

They stepped past the eunuch into a pillared courtyard overgrown in pale ivy. Moonlight painted the leaves in shades of bone and silver as the guests drifted among them. Many were Dothraki horselords, big men with red-brown skin, their drooping mustachios bound in metal rings, their black hair oiled and braided and hung with bells. Yet among them moved bravos and sellswords from Pentos and Myr and Tyrosh, a red priest even fatter than Illyrio, hairy men from the Port of Ibben, and lords from the Summer Isles with skin as black as ebony.

Is this Moqorro? I feel like I've seen this discussed before. 

1 hour ago, KingMance said:

They stepped past the eunuch into a pillared courtyard overgrown in pale ivy. Moonlight painted the leaves in shades of bone and silver as the guests drifted among them. Many were Dothraki horselords, big men with red-brown skin, their drooping mustachios bound in metal rings, their black hair oiled and braided and hung with bells. Yet among them moved bravos and sellswords from Pentos and Myr and Tyrosh, a red priest even fatter than Illyrio, hairy men from the Port of Ibben, and lords from the Summer Isles with skin as black as ebony.

Mmmm. I don't think so. Moqorro has very distinct features. He is not only fat, he is tall and broad, pitch black skinned, white haired and tattooed. Frightening to look at and easy to remember.

I got a question myself: What is the "dead man's note" that Sandor is carrying about worth 9000 dragons?  I cannot find anything in google.

1 hour ago, rotting sea cow said:

I got a question myself: What is the "dead man's note" that Sandor is carrying about worth 9000 dragons?  I cannot find anything in google.

It refers to the parchement Sandor received from the Brotherhood without Banners when they took his gold,

"What else? It wasn't for the pleasure of looking at your face, Dondarrion, I'll tell you that. You're uglier than me now. And a robber knight besides, it seems."

"I gave you a note for your gold," Lord Beric said calmly. "A promise to pay, when the war's done."

Just as Arya, Gendry and Hot Pie received from them

"Meaning you stole them yourselves, is that it? No shame in that, girl. War makes thieves of many honest folk." Tom tapped the folded parchment with his finger. "I'm paying you a handsome price. More than any horse is worth, if truth be told."

Hot Pie grabbed the parchment and unfolded it. "There's no gold," he complained loudly. "It's only writing."

"Aye," said Tom, "and I'm sorry for that. But after the war, we mean to make that good, you have my word as a king's man."

Sandor refers to the note as "the dead man's note" because he received the note from Beric, whom he had killed (and who had died several times before). 

2 hours ago, KingMance said:

Moqorro has "a belly like a boulder". Illyrio is significantly fatter than that, and this red priest is even bigger than Illyrio.

There's absolutely no hint that this is Moqorro, and the description that we do get argues against it being him. Red priests are a common sight in Pentos, as the city has a large red temple. And as "many important men" had been invited to the feast, according to Illyrio, it makes sense that a priest from one of the bigger faiths is invited. (In fact, the faith of R'hllor is the only faith we have heard about in Pentos)

Thanks for the response, @rotting sea cow and @Rhaenys_Targaryen. Moqorro probably wasn't even thought of at the time AGOT was written, so I admit it's a little crackpot. I would argue that a boulder is pretty freaking big though. And Moqorro is actively seeking Dany out, so it would be cool if he was there from the very beginning. I'll put my tinfoil hat back on now. 

Archived