Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

46 minutes ago, caprico4 said:

What was the season during Robert's rebellion? If the summer had lasted 10 years when the story began then wouldn't it be winter during Robert's rebellion?

It was winter at the start of the Rebellion at least. With the "false spring" having occurred a few months before. The worldbook mentions winter hitting King's Landing around the time Rhaegar ran off with Lyanna

The False Spring of 281 AC lasted less than two turns. As the year drew to a close, winter returned to Westeros with a vengeance. On the last day of the year, snow began to fall upon King’s Landing, and a crust of ice formed atop the Blackwater Rush. The snowfall continued off and on for the best part of a fortnight, by which time the Blackwater was hard frozen, and icicles draped the roofs and gutters of every tower in the city.

As cold winds hammered the city, King Aerys II turned to his pyromancers, charging them to drive the winter off with their magics. Huge green fires burned along the walls of the Red Keep for a moon’s turn. Prince Rhaegar was not in the city to observe them, however. Nor could he be found in Dragonstone with Princess Elia and their young son, Aegon. With the coming of the new year, the crown prince had taken to the road with half a dozen of his closest friends and confidants, on a journey that would ultimately lead him back to the riverlands. Not ten leagues from Harrenhal, Rhaegar fell upon Lyanna Stark of Winterfell, and carried her off, lighting a fire that would consume his house and kin and all those he loved—and half the realm besides.

Are there any theories/threads on the Stranger being a representation of an Other (or the Great Other), the shining eyes and the connection with death being the most obvious links?

I did a search but could not finding anything.

10 hours ago, caprico4 said:

What was the season during Robert's rebellion? If the summer had lasted 10 years when the story began then wouldn't it be winter during Robert's rebellion?

9 hours ago, RumHam said:

It was winter at the start of the Rebellion at least. With the "false spring" having occurred a few months before. The worldbook mentions winter hitting King's Landing around the time Rhaegar ran off with Lyanna

In addition to RumHam's answer, we also know that when Dany was born in mid 284 AC (~9 months after the war ended), it already was summer.

But when spring started and how long it lasted is atm unknown.

Can anyone find the line of questioning in which grrm is asked what happened to rhaegar after the battle of the trident?. Not the ssm. I ask because I'm hoping to determine if it was actually a two part question. Did they also ask who found Rhaegar's body? I am aware the ssm doesn't include it, that's why I'm looking for the original line of questions and answers. Thank you!

10 hours ago, Aegon VII said:

Can anyone find the line of questioning in which grrm is asked what happened to rhaegar after the battle of the trident?. Not the ssm. I ask because I'm hoping to determine if it was actually a two part question. Did they also ask who found Rhaegar's body? I am aware the ssm doesn't include it, that's why I'm looking for the original line of questions and answers. Thank you!

It seems doubtful, as presumably the SSM lists all the questions GRRM was asked during the Q&A session on the Spanish-speaking fan-board.

You can see all the questions asked in that sessions, at least per SSM, here: http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Asshai.com_Forum_Chat

The link on the SSM to the topic is dead and it seems that the forum has changed url a bit, so no idea if it even exists. Maybe enlist someone who speaks Spanish to look for it on the forums?

Though I'd say the likelihood of there being nothing about who found him being around 99%. I mean, his body wasn't lost, it was lying right there next to Robert and his hammer?

16 hours ago, Aegon VII said:

The original website has been offline since February. It might be (partially) restored, but that's not yet certain (as far as I understood). Google does not show any further text besides the translated statement found in the SSM.

I see no reason why there would be something left out of the translation, though.

How long did Robert's Rebellion last? Or how many months passed between Lyanna's disappearance and events of the Tower of Joy?

I remember Jon saying/thinking he has grown faster than Robb because he's a bastard, but what if he is actually older than Robb, with the death of Lyanna tied to a second birth, assuming R+J=L, does the timeline support this?

7 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

How long did Robert's Rebellion last? Or how many months passed between Lyanna's disappearance and events of the Tower of Joy?

I remember Jon saying/thinking he has grown faster than Robb because he's a bastard, but what if he is actually older than Robb, with the death of Lyanna tied to a second birth, assuming R+J=L, does the timeline support this?

Martin's timelines are a mess and he has admitted as such. Long story short it lasted about a year.

If Jon say actually is the Fisherman's daughter. Then Ned bedded her while heading North to raise his banners before heading South to marry Cat and save Robert. There is a theory that Ashara Dayne was the Fisherman's daughter but it hasn't gained much traction here.

23 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

There has been a lot of discussion about it but really, it's not difficult to tell the difference between a 3-month old and a 12-month old. Cat would know that the boys weren't the same age, and if Jon is 6-12 months older than Robb, and conceived before her wedding to Ned, then why did she say that Ned had fathered a bastard in the first year of their marriage?

On Invalid Date at 9:57 AM, Lord Wraith said:

Martin's timelines are a mess and he has admitted as such. Long story short it lasted about a year.

If Jon say actually is the Fisherman's daughter. Then Ned bedded her while heading North to raise his banners before heading South to marry Cat and save Robert. There is a theory that Ashara Dayne was the Fisherman's daughter but it hasn't gained much traction here.

From the World book I've found Lyanna's kidnapping have happened at the very beginning of 282 and Robert's reign from 283, but when in 283 it doesn't say. War may have ended when the year just started, during spring time if they had regular seasons, making it just over a year or it may have ended as the year draw to a close, during autumn of our planet, making it close to 2 years, enough for two pregnancies with even some time between them.

On Invalid Date at 1:50 AM, maudisdottir said:

There has been a lot of discussion about it but really, it's not difficult to tell the difference between a 3-month old and a 12-month old. Cat would know that the boys weren't the same age, and if Jon is 6-12 months older than Robb, and conceived before her wedding to Ned, then why did she say that Ned had fathered a bastard in the first year of their marriage?

Well if there are two babies you don't need to notice the difference between a 12 month and 3 month if you bring home only the 3 month old and leave the other one with someone you can trust. Also as time passes, difference between the two will be less noticeable, it'd be easier to pass, say a two year old baby as a 15 months old but fast growing one than it is to pass a 12 month as a 3 month one, Ned took his sweet time returning to his lady wife in Riverrun after ToJ, going to Daynes and then his best buddy Robert and we all know a certain fast growing bastard^_^

Different small question:

Robert and Ned were best buddies and Jon Arryn loved both of them, but while Ned have given both of their names to "his" children while Jon named his' after Robert, not Ned and Robert, even though had two sons, didn't name either of his sons after his buddy or his guardian but named them after kings of the rock. Why is that so?

11 hours ago, Chadwick688 said:

How old was Renly when he was made lord of Storm's End? I always thought it was right after the Robert was declared king, but that would make Renly quite young right? 

It would have happened not that long after Dragonstone was captured. Although Cressen states in 299 AC that it has been "some twelve years" years since coming to Dragonstone with Stannis, GRRM has stated that Stannis received Dragonstone before Joffrey had been born (and the wording suggests, imo, that Cersei wasn't pregnant yet, either), which would place Stannis becoming the Lord of Dragonstone, and thus the seat of Storm's End being granted to Renly, in 284/285 AC.

Renly, born in 277 AC would have been some seven or eight years old at the time, but that does not prevent him from becoming a lord (we've seen more child-lords, like Edric Dayne and Robert Arryn). It simply means that he likely had a regent to help him rule his lands until he turned sixteen.

10 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Why did Jaime intend to return to Riverrun after he departed Raventree?

Maybe since he cousin is getting married soon? I don't have my book with me. He definitely says he is returning to Riverrun but I don't remember him giving any reason.

On 5/19/2017 at 10:23 PM, Aegon VII said:

[Jon Nieve:] Who recovered Rhaegar's corpse (if anyone did it) and where was he buried (if he was buried)?

[George R. R. Martin:] Rhaegar was cremated, as is traditional for fallen Targaryens.

-Asshai.com Forum Chat

On Invalid Date at 10:39 AM, Lost Melnibonean said:

Why did Jaime intend to return to Riverrun after he departed Raventree?

My thought would be that he intended to ensure that the transition of power at RR was going smoothly.

On May 20, 2017 at 8:30 AM, Humble Maester said:

It seems doubtful, as presumably the SSM lists all the questions GRRM was asked during the Q&A session on the Spanish-speaking fan-board.

You can see all the questions asked in that sessions, at least per SSM, here: http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Asshai.com_Forum_Chat

The link on the SSM to the topic is dead and it seems that the forum has changed url a bit, so no idea if it even exists. Maybe enlist someone who speaks Spanish to look for it on the forums?

Though I'd say the likelihood of there being nothing about who found him being around 99%. I mean, his body wasn't lost, it was lying right there next to Robert and his hammer?

For sure. It is just so many people use that ssm as hard proof that rhaegar is dead. In another thread I pointed out that it was a two part question and it was questioned so I was looking for proof

On May 20, 2017 at 2:42 PM, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

The original website has been offline since February. It might be (partially) restored, but that's not yet certain (as far as I understood). Google does not show any further text besides the translated statement found in the SSM.

I see no reason why there would be something left out of the translation, though.

It is interesting for sure.

14 hours ago, Shmedricko said:

My man! Thank you so much! So there it is, it was a two part question and it has been shortened in the ssm.

What would Jon name his children, if he ever gets the chance to marry Val, with and without the knowledge of R+L=J if it's true. He thinks of naming a son after Robb, but what of a second, third  son or a daughter? Would he name his daughter after Dalla or Lyanna? or Arya and Sansa?

Archived