Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

28 minutes ago, StraightFromAsshai said:

Are horses native in Westeros or did the first men bring them?

The way it's phrased in the world book (The Coming of the First Men) seems to indicate the FM brought them. 

“What does seem to be accurate from all the tales, however, is that the First Men soon came to war with the children of the forest. Unlike the children, the First Men farmed the land and raised up ringforts and villages. And in so doing, they took to chopping down the weirwood trees, including those with carved faces, and for this, the children attacked them, leading to hundreds of years of war. The First Men—who had brought with them strange gods, horses, cattle, and weapons of bronze—were also larger and stronger than the children, and so they were a significant threat.”

Witcher series, started on 1993, has "white" haired characters as well as violet eyed ones. I can't think of any other books with characters carrying these traits but I'm not much of a fantasy reader, are there any other books from around that time that make use of purple eyes and platin hair? Or did one writer influence the other?

How much land (in Wolfswood) and how many people to support him would heavy cavalryman need to stay in business? Or when House Stark calls its banners that master could send 3 horses (one warhorse, 1 horse for squire and 1 pack horse) and naturally himself and his squire where-ever he is needed.

10 minutes ago, Loose Bolt said:

How much land (in Wolfswood) and how many people to support him would heavy cavalryman need to stay in business? Or when House Stark calls its banners that master could send 3 horses (one warhorse, 1 horse for squire and 1 pack horse) and naturally himself and his squire where-ever he is needed.

There are several threads where manpower is discussed. Cut and paste this...

troop strength population site:asoiaf.westeros.org

...into Google, and you will get some links. 

On 2017-5-28 at 10:01 PM, Corvo the Crow said:

How are shadow babies made in the books? Is it the same as in the show? If yes, despite hating brothels and such, he clearly has no objections to making some shadowy bastards, why not make a real one or two so he will have a son that he can legitimize?

Yeah in the books Melisandre gives birth to them as well, and implies that having sex is part of the method to create one (they actually make two, one for Renly and one for Cortnay Penrose, who is preventing Stannis from taking Storm's End). However based on the effect the process seems to have on Stannis - Davos comments that he looks significantly older, his features sunken, after creating the second - it seems more like she is using a part of his 'soul', more so than his seed.

Knowing Stannis I doubt the sexual aspect appealed to him, but I don't think it unreasonable that Mel would have been able to convince him. And though they may be 'shadow babies' they aren't like human children, once their job is done they presumably disappear, so they would hardly be good candidates for heirs.

3 hours ago, LordImp said:

Who is the current heir to Last Hearth? 

As far as I can tell, Smalljon has been the only named son of Greatjon, we know he has other sons because when he threatens Robb at Winterfell (when Grey Wind bites off his fingers) "his sons and brothers and sworn swords leapt to their feet". So we can assume that the eldest surviving son (as Smalljon is dead) is the heir, followed by the remaining sons, followed by his brothers, followed by Crowfood and his issue, followed by Whoresbane.

Valyrian swords we know of are four or five hundred years old, just a century before the doom or even around that time. Is there any reason for this? Targaryens come to Dragonstone some time before the Doom but it appears Celtigars and Velaryons were already there for a long time. Surely the lords of Westeros would love to buy these swords with at least one war in every generation, but they only do so at this time. Why the sudden interest or supply?

My copy of ASOIAF states:

In 282 AC, at the ford of the Trident, Robert Baratheon slew Rhaegar Targaryen, Prince of Dragonstone, and shattered his host, effectively ending three centuries of rule by the House of the Dragon. Soon thereafter he ascended the Iron Throne himself as Robert I Baratheon, the progenitor of a glorious new dynasty.

Was that a misprint? I thought the battle took place in 283 AC.

On Invalid Date at 0:32 PM, LordImp said:

If Victarion dies in Mereen and the Iron fleet becomes Dany's , who will be the new Commander of the fleet then? 

With Dany's forces significantly outnumbering the Ironborn, and the fact that the whole reason they went to Mereen was to acquire Dany and her dragons, I would say that Dany would become the commander of the fleet.

5 hours ago, Raisin' Bran said:

With Dany's forces significantly outnumbering the Ironborn, and the fact that the whole reason they went to Mereen was to acquire Dany and her dragons, I would say that Dany would become the commander of the fleet.

You would hope she actually put someone in charge who actually knows how to command a fleet, she knows little of such things.

On 6/1/2017 at 4:37 PM, Corvo the Crow said:

Valyrian swords we know of are four or five hundred years old, just a century before the doom or even around that time. Is there any reason for this? Targaryens come to Dragonstone some time before the Doom but it appears Celtigars and Velaryons were already there for a long time. Surely the lords of Westeros would love to buy these swords with at least one war in every generation, but they only do so at this time. Why the sudden interest or supply?

My only guess is that Dragon Lords were stingy with their magical blades. Something must have changed that. 

I apologize if this question has been asked before, but in Bran III of ADWD I came across the following passage:

The last greenseer, the singers called him, but in Bran's dreams he was still a three-eyed crow. When Meera Reed had asked him his true name, he made a ghastly sound that might have been a chuckle. "I wore many names when I was quick, but even I once had a mother, and the name she gave me at her breast was Brynden."

I've seen many times in these novels where the word "quicken" has the meaning of to make alive.  So, when Bloodraven tells us he wore many names when he was "quick", does he mean he wore many names when he was alive?  Is he telling us he is not alive now?

On Invalid Date at 8:44 PM, Lord Wraith said:

You would hope she actually put someone in charge who actually knows how to command a fleet, she knows little of such things.

Oh it seems that you are speaking of an Admiral or Lord Captain. I was speaking of who would have ultimate authority.

4 hours ago, The Hidden Dragon said:

I apologize if this question has been asked before, but in Bran III of ADWD I came across the following passage:

The last greenseer, the singers called him, but in Bran's dreams he was still a three-eyed crow. When Meera Reed had asked him his true name, he made a ghastly sound that might have been a chuckle. "I wore many names when I was quick, but even I once had a mother, and the name she gave me at her breast was Brynden."

I've seen many times in these novels where the word "quicken" has the meaning of to make alive.  So, when Bloodraven tells us he wore many names when he was "quick", does he mean he wore many names when he was alive?  Is he telling us he is not alive now?

He's barely alive, and seems bloodless and desiccated. Maybe he's using "quick" to mean when blood pumped through his veins and he lived and breathed in the world. He's become the tree, which is probably what's keeping him "alive".

6 hours ago, The Hidden Dragon said:

Yes. But @maudisdottir's answer is better.

5 hours ago, Raisin' Bran said:

Oh it seems that you are speaking of an Admiral or Lord Captain. I was speaking of who would have ultimate authority.

Oh fair enough then.

Archived