Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

13 hours ago, TheReal_Rebel said:

Did George say definitively state that Targayean genetics are magic and therefore not subject to normal results of inbreeding: such as physical or mental deformities?

Not that I recall but I could be wrong.

4 hours ago, LordImp said:

Does dornish first men houses like Dayne and Yronwood worship the old gods? And there are no weirwoods in Dorne?

Could that limestone cave system that figures in Arianne II count as a Dornish version of a weirwood?

21 minutes ago, Prof. Cecily said:

Could that limestone cave system that figures in Arianne II count as a Dornish version of a weirwood?

No idea tbh. Only thing i can say about non -7 dornish gods is the dark god supposly worshipped by Benedict Blackmont. For some reason that dark god sounds like the old gods. 

From Bran's Weirwood visions:

"Then there came a brown-haired girl, slender as a spear who stood on the tips of her toes to kiss the lips of a young knight as tall as Hodor."

Since the next Dunk and Egg novella involves the pair heading to Winterfell and the She-Wolves, whose family tends to be skinny and brown-haired, I've thought this is probably Dunk kissing a Stark lady. A lot of people say it's Old Nan. I guess my question is: does anyone else think it's a Stark? Am I missing something? The popular opinion is that it's Old Nan. The chick's description is very Stark-y to me :P.

Also, does anyone know why the thread for random ASOIAF thread was closed? I once asked a mod, but never received a response.

16 hours ago, LordImp said:

Does dornish first men houses like Dayne and Yronwood worship the old gods? And there are no weirwoods in Dorne?

Given that a lot of Dorne is either desert or mountainous regions it is understandable why there wouldn't be many Weirwoods. Doesn't sound like a place the COTF would want to hang out. Still yes its probable that the First Men Houses in Dorne worshiped the Old Gods with the rest of the First Men.

On 15/06/2017 at 1:05 AM, Lizard Princess said:

From Bran's Weirwood visions:

"Then there came a brown-haired girl, slender as a spear who stood on the tips of her toes to kiss the lips of a young knight as tall as Hodor."

Since the next Dunk and Egg novella involves the pair heading to Winterfell and the She-Wolves, whose family tends to be skinny and brown-haired, I've thought this is probably Dunk kissing a Stark lady. A lot of people say it's Old Nan. I guess my question is: does anyone else think it's a Stark? Am I missing something?

No, I agree, the brown hair makes her sound like a Stark. If it was Old Nan she could have had any colour hair - blonde, redhead, black, silver with gold streaks - because she's old now, and what little hair she has is white. Why give her brown hair if she's just Young Nan? Which of course leads to the question of "is Old Nan a secret Stark?" which, please no.

6 hours ago, maudisdottir said:

No, I agree, the brown hair makes her sound like a Stark. If it was Old Nan she could have had any colour hair - blonde, redhead, black, silver with gold streaks - because she's old now, and what little hair she has is white. Why give her brown hair if she's just Young Nan? Which of course leads to the question of "is Old Nan a secret Stark?" which, please no.

Hodor is really, really tall. It's very likely that he is Duncan's descendant. That's why lots of people go for Old Nan as the skinny girl, myself included. :)

4 minutes ago, maudisdottir said:

Maybe Nan is the result of the skinny girl and Duncan hooking up? I'd need to look at dates.

Don't think so, we know she wasn't born there.

4 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Don't think so, we know she wasn't born there.

True, which would be odd for the bastard of a Stark daughter, unless they sent her away to have the baby and afterwards brought it to live somewhere near Winterfell. But then it would be strange to have Nan become a servant in the household and nurse her potential siblings/cousins/nephews.

It just seems odd that we are told specifically that she has brown hair. She could have been described any other way, without even mentioning hair colour. Or like I said, make her a blonde or a redhead or anything but Stark-brown.

6 hours ago, maudisdottir said:

True, which would be odd for the bastard of a Stark daughter, unless they sent her away to have the baby and afterwards brought it to live somewhere near Winterfell. But then it would be strange to have Nan become a servant in the household and nurse her potential siblings/cousins/nephews.

It just seems odd that we are told specifically that she has brown hair. She could have been described any other way, without even mentioning hair colour. Or like I said, make her a blonde or a redhead or anything but Stark-brown.

But brown hair is very common... if Martin had described her as blonde, she'd instantly become a secret Targ, if he made her a redhead she'd be Mel in disguise or something! :lol:

maudisdittir: Yeah, the fact that the GRRM bothered to point out that she has brown hair could be hint from him (he could have omitted her hair coloring)... but for me, it's also not just that she was noted as a brunette, but also a slender one. I think Jon, Lyanna, and Arya have all been noted as lean (the latter two at least) and I think I've read somewhere in the books that slenderness tends to be a trait of the Starks.

kissedbyfire: Oh yeah, derp, I forgot about Hodor in the "the kissing girl is/related to Old Nan" theories.

Archived