Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

51 minutes ago, mzso said:

Hi what do all these crannogmen stuff mean? Breathing mud, running on leaves, changing earth to water, weaving words, talking to trees, making castles disappear.

The crannogmen appear to be closer to the Children of the Forest and the Old Gods, and perhaps to the Order of the Green Men as well. In any event, they are very close to their natural surroundings, and they know how to use it. Their "castles" likely move because they don't have any castles. Some of the other things you mention appear to be exaggerated descriptions of superior woodcraft. 

3 hours ago, mzso said:

Really? How? I don't see what you mean.

Changing earth to water: trapping an adversary in quicksand. Breathing mud:snorkeling through swamps. I could see Stannis’s southern soldiers telling their grandsons some day that Northmen could walk on snow. 

Jon cut Sam off as Samwell was talking. Anyone know what Sam was going to say? When was the list written?

A Feast for Crows - Samwell I

The oldest histories we have were written after the Andals came to Westeros. The First Men only left us runes on rocks, so everything we think we know about the Age of Heroes and the Dawn Age and the Long Night comes from accounts set down by septons thousands of years later. There are archmaesters at the Citadel who question all of it. Those old histories are full of kings who reigned for hundreds of years, and knights riding around a thousand years before there were knights. You know the tales, Brandon the Builder, Symeon Star-Eyes, Night's King . . . we say that you're the nine hundred and ninety-eighth Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, but the oldest list I've found shows six hundred seventy-four commanders, which suggests that it was written during . . ."

27 minutes ago, JRRStark said:

Has there been any confirmation anywhere that howland reed will appear sometime in a future book?

Yes...

SEPTEMBER 01, 2001
TIDBITS FROM THE CON (WORLDCON, PHILADELPHIA, PA)

Question 3: It had been stated that Howland Reed would come out in The Winds of Winter, which is the 5th book. Will he still come in the 5th book (A Dance with Dragon)?

Answer: He will appear eventually.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Tidbits_from_the_Con_Worldcon_Philadelphia_PA

I want to create a topic to discuss about the visions of the House of the Undying that will contains spoilers from both the book AND the latest episodes of the tv show(season 7).

i know there are many topics about these visions, but I really want to do it..

Is that possible?

If yes where? 

32 minutes ago, Styl7 said:

I want to create a topic to discuss about the visions of the House of the Undying that will contains spoilers from both the book AND the latest episodes of the tv show(season 7).

i know there are many topics about these visions, but I really want to do it..

Is that possible?

If yes where? 

This side of the forum is for books only. Try the Game of Thrones side. 

5 hours ago, Styl7 said:

Of what I understand the other side of the forum is in the same way only for the tv show...

Here's the thing: The books influence the the show; ghe show does not influence the books. 

27 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Here's the thing: The books influence the the show; ghe show does not influence the books. 

And yet my question remains unanswered..

(Can you explain me your point.. I am not a native eng speaker.. Is your point to create my topic in the show side of forum or to not create it at all because comparisons between the two are "meaningless"?)

4 minutes ago, Styl7 said:

(Can you explain me your point.. I am not a native eng speaker.. Is your point to create my topic in the show side of forum or to not create it at all because comparisons between the two are "meaningless"?)

Um, I believe I suggested posting your topic in the show forum. I have done it with a similar topic...

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/139957-second-of-three-fires/

If you post it on this side, it will get removed. 

9 minutes ago, Styl7 said:

I think what is meant is that you can talk about the books in the TV show section of the forum, as they are what influenced the show. But you don't need to talk about the show in the books section, as the show doesn't inspire the books.

So if you are starting a thread that has anything to do with the show at all, it is best to put it in the show side of the forum as opposed to the book side.

18 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Um, I believe I suggested posting your topic in the show forum. I have done it with a similar topic...

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/139957-second-of-three-fires/

If you post it on this side, it will get removed. 

12 minutes ago, JordanJH1993 said:

I think what is meant is that you can talk about the books in the TV show section of the forum, as they are what influenced the show. But you don't need to talk about the show in the books section, as the show doesn't inspire the books.

So if you are starting a thread that has anything to do with the show at all, it is best to put it in the show side of the forum as opposed to the book side.

Thank you guys for answering me! (sorry if I was a bit toxic)

9 hours ago, Styl7 said:

Thank you guys for answering me! (sorry if I was a bit toxic)

@JordanJH1993 said above that you don't need to talk about the show in the book forum, and I'll add that not only there's really no need but it's also against forum rules. A lot of book fans don't watch the show at all, and don't want to hear anything about it.  :)

On 30/07/2017 at 4:59 PM, Clegane'sPup said:

Jon cut Sam off as Samwell was talking. Anyone know what Sam was going to say? When was the list written?

A Feast for Crows - Samwell I

The oldest histories we have were written after the Andals came to Westeros. The First Men only left us runes on rocks, so everything we think we know about the Age of Heroes and the Dawn Age and the Long Night comes from accounts set down by septons thousands of years later. There are archmaesters at the Citadel who question all of it. Those old histories are full of kings who reigned for hundreds of years, and knights riding around a thousand years before there were knights. You know the tales, Brandon the Builder, Symeon Star-Eyes, Night's King . . . we say that you're the nine hundred and ninety-eighth Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, but the oldest list I've found shows six hundred seventy-four commanders, which suggests that it was written during . . ."

I guess Sam was trying to say that the list was written during the Andal Invasion. Then, the counting would be as questionable as those septon's stories.

Commanders like the Night King could be more recent or more older figures than previously assumed.

5 minutes ago, mystickristoff said:

Is it true that Smalljon Umber killed several Frey men with a ham drumstick? During the Red wedding that is. I can't find the specific quote of it.

Not that I'm aware of.

The final humiliation had been delivered with a smile, when Lame Lothar had summoned him to discuss his role in Roslin's wedding. "We must each play our part, according to our gifts," his half-brother told him. "You shall have one task and one task only, Merrett, but I believe you are well suited to it. I want you to see to it that Greatjon Umber is so bloody drunk that he can hardly stand, let alone fight."

And even that I failed at. He'd cozened the huge northman into drinking enough wine to kill any three normal men, yet after Roslin had been bedded the Greatjon still managed to snatch the sword of the first man to accost him and break his arm in the snatching. It had taken eight of them to get him into chains, and the effort had left two men wounded, one dead, and poor old Ser Leslyn Haigh short half an ear. When he couldn't fight with his hands any longer, Umber had fought with his teeth. (ASOS Epilogue)

Archived