Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

7 minutes ago, mystickristoff said:

Is it true that Smalljon Umber killed several Frey men with a ham drumstick? During the Red wedding that is. I can't find the specific quote of it.

Also, how old was Iron Emmett during Robert's Rebellion?

Not quite...

The Smalljon bludgeoned Ser Raymund Frey across the face with a leg of mutton. But when he reached for his swordbelt a crossbow bolt drove him to his knees. ...

By then men were pouring in the other doors as well, mailed men in shaggy fur cloaks with steel in their hands. Northmen! She took them for rescue for half a heartbeat, till one of them struck the Smalljon's head off with two huge blows of his axe. 

Catelyn VII, Storm 51

Oh, damn. That guy who told me the ham feat was making it up then lol

How old was Bigjon and Smalljon during the Red wedding?

Was Smalljon renowned to be skilled like Walder Rivers or Tytos Blackwood? All I've known about him was that he's strong like his dad. But his dad was mentioned to be one of the few people that could beat Jaime.

2 minutes ago, mystickristoff said:

Oh, damn. That guy who told me the ham feat was making it up then lol

How old was Bigjon and Smalljon during the Red wedding?

Was Smalljon renowned to be skilled like Walder Rivers or Tytos Blackwood? All I've known about him was that he's strong like his dad. But his dad was mentioned to be one of the few people that could beat Jaime.

When looking up minor characters, the wiki is a great resource. Just be sure to check the references. 

Yeah but the wiki only mentioned that Smalljon was strongly built like his father, and could grow bigger. But there was no info about him being notably skilled in combat. But Walder Rivers and Tytos Blackwood, minor characters, it was actually written that they were skilled in combat, in the wiki.

24 minutes ago, mystickristoff said:

Yeah but the wiki only mentioned that Smalljon was strongly built like his father, and could grow bigger. But there was no info about him being notably skilled in combat. But Walder Rivers and Tyros Blackwood, minor characters, it was actually written that they were skilled in combat, in the wiki.

Most likely, then, the Smalljon's prowess in battle was never stated explicitly. I recall Walder Rivers's prowess being mentioned somewhere in the novels. 

18 hours ago, mystickristoff said:

Oh.

Another question, where was it stated that Iron Emmett was young? Is there an actual quote to that?

No quote that tells us how young, but that he was young, yes there is.

Iron Emmett was a long, lanky young ranger whose endurance, strength, and swordsmanship were the pride of Eastwatch. Jon always came away from their sessions stiff and sore, and woke the next day covered with bruises, which was just the way he wanted it. He would never get any better going up against the likes of Satin and Horse, or even Grenn. (ASoS 891) bold emphasis added

4 hours ago, Rob Storm said:

What is the consensus on how Melisandre lit the eagle on fire (simply the same magic as shadow babies?) and how Tyrion and the fAegon crew got turned around in the Sorrows? These minor magics throw me off 

There is no easy explanation for either. Here's an attempt at the weird rewind scene at the Bridge of Dream.

10 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I read online that some girls at a convention once told George to kill off Sansa and in response he told them all to go hell. Does anyone know if that's a true story? If so, it's pretty funny. 

:blink: say wuuut??? Interesting. 

(Googling now....) 

Is it stated anywhere that Elia of Dorne was pregnant at Harrenhal? Why do I seem to remember something along those lines, and yet cannot find any evidence for it? Am I losing  it? :eek:

36 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I've seen people claim that the Mercy chapter indicates that Cersei has won her trial, but I don't remember reading that. What in the chapter points to this? 

The man Mercy is looking for is found guarding the entrance to the envoy's seating with another lion guard. The guards are discussing the length of their stay, claiming that "if

he returns without gold - from the Iron Bank - , the Queen will have his head".

That's just from the wiki synopsis but if I recall correctly its accurate.

I think the point of this claim is that at least at the point when Harys left King's Landing Cersei was in charge, if we assume the Queen who would have his head would have the power to have his head, and would also be Cersei. If Cersei was still under trial or lost the trial she would hardly have the power to punish Harys, and I don't think most would consider Margaeyry to be the kind of Queen to lop heads off.  Its not solid proof but it does point to that direction.

2 hours ago, Humble Maester said:

Hide contents

The man Mercy is looking for is found guarding the entrance to the envoy's seating with another lion guard. The guards are discussing the length of their stay, claiming that "if

he returns without gold - from the Iron Bank - , the Queen will have his head".

That's just from the wiki synopsis but if I recall correctly its accurate.

Hide contents

I think the point of this claim is that at least at the point when Harys left King's Landing Cersei was in charge, if we assume the Queen who would have his head would have the power to have his head, and would also be Cersei. If Cersei was still under trial or lost the trial she would hardly have the power to punish Harys, and I don't think most would consider Margaeyry to be the kind of Queen to lop heads off.  Its not solid proof but it does point to that direction.

Thanks for the reply. 

1 hour ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Thanks for the reply. 

Adding to what was already said, before Harys is to go to Braavos he is to treat with Myrish bankers and Pentoshi magisters...

"Aye, if we had gold," Ser Harys Swyft said. "Alas, my lords, our vaults contain only rats and roaches. I have written again to the Myrish bankers. If they will agree to make good the crown's debt to the Braavosi and extend us a new loan, mayhaps we will not have to raise the taxes. Else-wise"

"The magisters of Pentos have been known to lend money as well," said Ser Kevan. "Try them." The Pentoshi were even less like to be of help than the Myrish money changers, but the effort must be made. Unless a new source of coin could be found, or the Iron Bank persuaded to relent, he would have no choice but to pay the crown's debts with Lannister gold. He dare not resort to new taxes, not with the Seven Kingdoms crawling with rebellion. Half the lords in the realm could not tell taxation from tyranny, and would bolt to the nearest usurper in a heartbeat if it would save them a clipped copper. "If that fails, you may well need to go to Braavos, to treat with the Iron Bank yourself."

Epilogue, Dance

But he should have been prepared to leave as soon as he was rejected or was unable to reach satisfactory terms...

"I put no faith in these Myrish bankers," Ser Kevan told his good-father. "You had best prepare to go to Braavos."

Epilogue, Dance

But apparently before that was to happen, Cersei's trial was set to take place within five days...

"Mayhaps we can persuade our Dornish friends to deal with Lord Connington," Ser Harys Swyft said with an irritating titter. "That would save a deal of blood and trouble."

"It would," Ser Kevan said wearily. Time to put an end to this.

"Thank you, my lords. Let us convene again five days hence. After Cersei's trial."

"As you say. May the Warrior lend strength to Ser Robert's arms." 

The words were grudging, the dip of the chin Mace Tyrell gave the Lord Regent the most cursory of bows. But it was something, and for that much Ser Kevan Lannister was grateful.

Epilogue, Dance

My assumption is that Cersei won her trial and then Harys departs.

Spoiler

Then in Mercy, as notes above, the Lannister men apparently refer to Cersei as the queen.

This should come as no surprise. One of the charges that will be defended by Cersei's trial is that her children were bastards born of incest...

He nodded. "Last of all, and worst of all, there are some who say your children were not fathered by King Robert, that they are bastards born of incest and adultery."

"Stannis says that," Cersei said at once. "A lie, a lie, a palpable lie. Stannis wants the Iron Throne for himself, but his brother's children stand in his way, so he must needs claim that they are not his brother's. That filthy letter there is no shred of truth to it. I deny it."

The High Septon placed both hands flat upon the table and pushed himself to his feet. "Good. Lord Stannis has turned from the truth of the Seven to worship a red demon, and his false faith has no place in these Seven Kingdoms."

That was almost reassuring. Cersei nodded. "Even so," His High Holiness went on, "these are terrible charges, and the realm must know the truth of them. If Your Grace has told it true, no doubt a trial will prove your innocence."

Cersei I, Dance

If Cersei loses her trial, Tommen will lose his crown and Stannis will be seen as Robert's true heir. The Faith would have to fight his claim, much like Aeron opposes Euron and the Church fought Henry VIII and Elizabeth I. The Faith very much wants Cersei to win to avoid a crises of succession--unless, of course, the Faith is already in league with Aegon. 

Archived