Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

Hi. Haven't posted much here. I don't know really if this a small question or no, and I'm sorry if thsi information is easily found somewhere else, but do we have an understanding of the hours in aSoIaF? Like, hour of the bat, of the owl and such? Thanks. :)

55 minutes ago, Ana Amaral said:

Hi. Haven't posted much here. I don't know really if this a small question or no, and I'm sorry if thsi information is easily found somewhere else, but do we have an understanding of the hours in aSoIaF? Like, hour of the bat, of the owl and such? Thanks. :)

This page gives the most complete summary of what we know about the order and timing of the hours mentioned as far as I know.

Just now, Lady Darry said:

I have it in my memory that Ashara was 100% dismissed from her service as lady in waiting. But now when I wanted to find out when this happened, I can't find this reference anywhere...So was she even dismissed and if yes where is a reference to it?

Is it possible you are mixing Joanna Lannister and Ashara Dayne up? 

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Joanna_Lannister

Not long thereafter, Joanna was dismissed by Queen Rhaella Targaryen from her service in King's Landing. While Rhaella turned a blind eye towards most of her husband's infidelities, she did not approve when it concerned one of her own ladies, several of whom were sent away from court. Joanna departed for Casterly Rock at once, and she seldom visited the capital afterwards.[6]

On 9/4/2017 at 6:50 AM, LordImp said:

Was Renly LP of the Stormlands or did the title still belong to Robert?

I don't know that there is a formal title "Lord Paramount of the Stormlands." Renly was Lord of Storm's End, and the principal houses of the Stormlands are all sworn to Storm’s End, so regardless of title, Renly was the paramount lord in the Stormlands. 

31 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I don't know that there is a formal title "Lord Paramount of the Stormlands." Renly was Lord of Storm's End, and the principal houses of the Stormlands are all sworn to Storm’s End, so regardless of title, Renly was the paramount lord in the Stormlands. 

It has only been mentioned in TWOIAF.

The favor that Aegon the Conqueror showered upon Orys Baratheon made many credit the rumors that he was Aegon's bastard half brother. Though never proved, that tale is widely believed to this very day. Others suggest that Orys rose so high because of his prowess at arms and his fierce loyalty to House Targaryen. Even before the Conquest, he served as Aegon's champion and sworn shield, and his defeat of King Argilac only added further luster to his name. When King Aegon granted Storm's End to House Baratheon in perpetuity, and named Orys Lord Paramount of the Stormlands and the Hand of the King, none dared suggest that he was unworthy of these honors.

8 minutes ago, Nittanian said:

It has only been mentioned in TWOIAF.

Well, there you have it. But, as I noted above, since all the principal houses are sworn to Storm's End, the Lord of Storm's End is the paramount lord of the Stormlands regardless of title. The interesting thing about Petyr being named Lord Paramount of the Riverlands was that it purported to move the center of power from Riverrun to Harrenhal, and thus, Tywin denied Emmon Frey, who was promised Riverrun. 

13 minutes ago, vox umbrarum said:

Is Bronn illiterate?

I could only find this. As an aside, there is a lot of fan speculation that he could have been a plant. 

"What does it say?" Bronn could not read, so he asked impudent questions.

-and-

Bronn laughed. "Reading books again? Books will ruin your sword eye, boy. I see a skull too. A black banner."

And I must say, your avatar pic is awesome! :thumbsup:...:crying:

1 hour ago, vox umbrarum said:

Thank you ... and thank you again :)

So you think he only made Tyrion believe he couldn't read? Who do people believe he's working for then?

Some do. Me? Eh, maybe not so much. I tend to think most (not all) characters are who they say they are and the author put them in the main characters arc for a reason. Im out and on my phone, but when I get back I can share some of the theories with you later. Some of them can at least make you scratch your head and squint a little. 

11 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Some do. Me? Eh, maybe not so much. I tend to think most (not all) characters are who they say they are and the author put them in the main characters arc for a reason. Im out and on my phone, but when I get back I can share some of the theories with you later. Some of them can at least make you scratch your head and squint a little. 

When you squint at 'em do you mutter, "Heh..."? Or maybe, "Smells Dornish..."?

1 hour ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

When you squint at 'em do you mutter, "Heh..."? Or maybe, "Smells Dornish..."?

Dornish ... Of course! So Doran hired Bronn to see Tyrion save to Kings Landing, because, obviously, his friends at court would have told him that Littlefinger had blamed Tyrion for the attack on Bran and that Catelyn might try to retaliate. He needed the dwarf alive, so they could put the blame on him when his brother, Oberyn, poisened Joffrey. This also gave the Martells the chance to avenge their sister in the following trial by combat against the Mountain, all the while Doran's son Quentyn went on a journey to confuse everyone. How have we been so blind?

26 minutes ago, vox umbrarum said:

Dornish ... Of course! So Doran hired Bronn to see Tyrion save to Kings Landing, because, obviously, his friends at court would have told him that Littlefinger had blamed Tyrion for the attack on Bran and that Catelyn might try to retaliate. He needed the dwarf alive, so they could put the blame on him when his brother, Oberyn, poisened Joffrey. This also gave the Martells the chance to avenge their sister in the following trial by combat against the Mountain, all the while Doran's son Quentyn went on a journey to confuse everyone. How have we been so blind?

Actually, that's some pretty good crackpottery. :)

Archived