Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

1 hour ago, Morte said:

How long is Jaime MIA at the end of ADWD? Two weeks? Three? A month? Even in KL it seems they know of his disappearance for some time now.

I was going to try to answer this by saying he is not missing. Then I remembered there are a couple Cersei chapters after Jaime's. So I got nada.

28 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

I was going to try to answer this by saying he is not missing. Then I remembered there are a couple Cersei chapters after Jaime's. So I got nada.

And we have the Epilogue, in which Kevan doesnt sound as if he had just arrived back in KL, so it must be even longer, since Jaime's MIA, as Kevan was further west then Jaime, so it would take him some time to come back in KL. Also, Jaime's entourage wouldnt call him missing on just the first few days, they would search for him some time, before they send a raven.

So, how long is he gone? Even more then a month? Two?

Im asking because it seems as if we will get the Stoneheart-encounter only in flashbacks, as Brienne was telling Jaime they are a days ride away from their destination (even if she lied, i think he would have become suspicious if they would take weeks to reach the meeting point Brienne mentioned).

30 minutes ago, Morte said:

And we have the Epilogue, in which Kevan doesnt sound as if he had just arrived back in KL, so it must be even longer, since Jaime's MIA, as Kevan was further west then Jaime, so it would take him some time to come back in KL. Also, Jaime's entourage wouldnt call him missing on just the first few days, they would search for him some time, before they send a raven.

So, how long is he gone? Even more then a month? Two?

Im asking because it seems as if we will get the Stoneheart-encounter only in flashbacks, as Brienne was telling Jaime they are a days ride away from their destination (even if she lied, i think he would have become suspicious if they would take weeks to reach the meeting point Brienne mentioned).

It would only take a few days for a courier to get from Pennytree to Daven at Riverrun, and another day or two for a raven to fly from that castle to King's Landing, which surely would have happened unless Jaime left clear orders for his host to follow after his departure. 

8 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

It would only take a few days for a courier to get from Pennytree to Daven at Riverrun, and another day or two for a raven to fly from that castle to King's Landing, which surely would have happened unless Jaime left clear orders for his host to follow after his departure. 

Yes, but they would have searched for him, before spreading panic that the Lord Commander of the Kings Guard is missing, most likely one or two days at least.

So 3-7 days between departure and the raven with the news arriving in KL, maybe? Then all the Cersei chapters and Kevan being in KL and working with the Tyrells for quite some time (at least it seems that way) now, and in the Epilogue they talk about still no news from Jaime.

So can we assume Jaime's MIA for at least two weeks? Probably more?

12 hours ago, Morte said:

How long is Jaime MIA at the end of ADWD? Two weeks? Three? A month? Even in KL it seems they know of his disappearance for some time now.

According to this timeline, Jaime takes off w/ Brienne ~ 23 "May" and the last chapter (chronologically), which is Jon's assassination attempt, takes place on August 2nd. And Kevan's death (epilogue) - June 28. 

9 hours ago, Morte said:

Yes, but they would have searched for him, before spreading panic that the Lord Commander of the Kings Guard is missing, most likely one or two days at least.

So 3-7 days between departure and the raven with the news arriving in KL, maybe? Then all the Cersei chapters and Kevan being in KL and working with the Tyrells for quite some time (at least it seems that way) now, and in the Epilogue they talk about still no news from Jaime.

So can we assume Jaime's MIA for at least two weeks? Probably more?

I think that's  a fair assumption, unless there are other factors to consider. 

6 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

According to this timeline, Jaime takes off w/ Brienne ~ 23 "May" and the last chapter (chronologically), which is Jon's assassination attempt, takes place on August 2nd. And Kevan's death (epilogue) - June 28. 

Jaime's disappearance is noted in Cersei I, Dance Dance 54, which approximated to occur around 6/14. But note that, according to the timeline, this is the first POV we have in King's Landing since Jaime's disappearance, and Kevan was bringing news to Cersei, who has been isolated, so we cannot know how long the folks in King's Landing have known about Jaime's disappearance. Presumably, elements of his detachment are still hunting for Jaime, and I would think overall command of his detachment has been transferred to Daven. 

7 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

24 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I think that's  a fair assumption, unless there are other factors to consider. 

13 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Jaime's disappearance is noted in Cersei I, Dance Dance 54, which approximated to occur around 6/14. But note that, according to the timeline, this is the first POV we have in King's Landing since Jaime's disappearance, and Kevan was bringing news to Cersei, who has been isolated, so we cannot know how long the folks in King's Landing have known about Jaime's disappearance. Presumably, elements of his detachment are still hunting for Jaime, and I would think overall command of his detachment has been transferred to Daven. 

Thanks, both of you. So approximately ~1 month +/-. So the encounter with Stoneheart will indeed most likely be told in flashbacks.

2 hours ago, Morte said:

Thanks, both of you. So approximately ~1 month +/-. So the encounter with Stoneheart will indeed most likely be told in flashbacks.

Not necessarily. The chapters dealing with Jaime's encounter with the Brotherhood and/or Stoneheart could take place at the same time as some of the later chapters of Dance.

:agree: Throughout the course of ASOIAF the chapters have not been completely in chronological order (and as the books have progressed, the discontinuity has only progressed). Although it makes a certain amount of sense for the B&J vs. SH showdown to be recounted in a chapter rather than be told in real time, the discontinuity does not make it a requirement.

And from the perspective of the reader, it would be a lot more suspenseful if the encounter happens in real time.

2 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Not necessarily. The chapters dealing with Jaime's encounter with the Brotherhood and/or Stoneheart could take place at the same time as some of the later chapters of Dance.

I doubt that, though it could still be, but the integrity of time would suffer, as we are left with the assumption that Jamie is missing since some time know, at the end of ADWD. Of course, the encounter could be much longer then anybody had thought it to be (including Mrs. Stoneheart :D ), or Brienne could dally, but as stated above, she can not dally for weeks.

ADWD and AFFC should have been one book, as Martin did state. It became too thick, so he split it in two, and left the Battle of Ice and the Battle of Fire out, moving them to the next book. The two battles may or may not overlaps with the last POVs in KL, we not even know this for sure, they could well had been originally designed to happen after the now-Epilogue, as we also dont know if Martin did change the timeline a little, with putting the battles in the next book - or if he just hoped to move quicker overall and in the end had to put a lot more then just the battles into TWOW (namely all things happening in the time frame of the two battles).

We'll see. But I wouldn't mind to have the encounter in flashbacks (as this would reduce the lethality of it by quite a lot ;) ).

1 hour ago, Morte said:

I doubt that, though it could still be, but the integrity of time would suffer, as we are left with the assumption that Jamie is missing since some time know, at the end of ADWD. Of course, the encounter could be much longer then anybody had thought it to be (including Mrs. Stoneheart :D ), or Brienne could dally, but as stated above, she can not dally for weeks.

ADWD and AFFC should have been one book, as Martin did state. It became too thick, so he split it in two, and left the Battle of Ice and the Battle of Fire out, moving them to the next book. The two battles may or may not overlaps with the last POVs in KL, we not even know this for sure, they could well had been originally designed to happen after the now-Epilogue, as we also dont know if Martin did change the timeline a little, with putting the battles in the next book - or if he just hoped to move quicker overall and in the end had to put a lot more then just the battles into TWOW (namely all things happening in the time frame of the two battles).

We'll see. But I wouldn't mind to have the encounter in flashbacks (as this would reduce the lethality of it by quite a lot ;) ).

Well, we know ADwD Jon XIII happens after TWoW Theon I, for instance. I assume there'll be quite a lot of that sort of thing again. 

ETA: as to the lethality of the chapter, since I love both Jaime and Brienne, I'd still be worried for one of them! :P

9 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

ETA: as to the lethality of the chapter, since I love both Jaime and Brienne, I'd still be worried for one of them! :P

Me too! That's why I was hoping (I confess it!) for flashbacks, since untill now we always had a live broadcast on the deaths of POV-characters. But maybe they get an unlikely saviour, and beside: hope dies last. :P

2 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Moments before red wedding Arya sees a men with a treecat on his badge leave a pale blue pavilion. Any ideas whether his lord is a Northman or Riverlander? Only house with treecat as coa i could find is from westerlands, which can't be where he is from.

Why not?

Archived