Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

48 minutes ago, Shmedricko said:

Not that I can recall. But Egg got a tan while in Dorne:

Egg might want a soak as well, though the boy looked cool and dry, more dusty than sweaty. He never sweated much. He liked the heat. In Dorne he went about bare-chested, and turned brown as a Dornishman. It is his dragon blood, Dunk told himself. Whoever heard of a sweaty dragon? (The Sworn Sword)

So if Daenerys has spent enough time in the sun, I imagine she would be tan too.

Yes, that quote is actually what made me think of Dany in the red waste. I was doing a relisten of TSS earlier this evening.

Hmmm, this is all very interesting. Thank you :)

Dany is described as tanned after spending time travelling g to Vaes Dothrak. The wine merchant mistakes her for a true Dothraki until she speak to him (when he thinks she is Tyroshi)

“The merchant must have taken her for Dothraki, with her clothes and her oiled hair and sun-browned skin. When she spoke, he gaped at her in astonishment. “My lady, you are…Tyroshi? Can it be so?"

3 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Dany is described as tanned after spending time travelling g to Vaes Dothrak. The wine merchant mistakes her for a true Dothraki until she speak to him (when he thinks she is Tyroshi)

Thank you. Those darn tricksy ways of describing tanned skin. I hadn't double checked that exact phrase of "sun-browned". 

1 hour ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

What about Daenerys's head during the walkabout? Didn't she try to weave a hat to prevent sunburn?

I guess if the sun burns you once, it will burn you again??? Hmmm, and her floppy hat didn't quite work, right? 

1 hour ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Oh, and Egg had Dornish blood. I wonder if our Aegon does? 

Hey, that is a good question :)

44 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I'm wondering if anyone could? 

I don't have an answer for you. I noticed no one else responded to your question so I thought I would reply with my terrible attempt to state the humorously obvious reply. 

Are there any ancient peoples who would wall barefoot in the cold? I've never heard of it. An extremely quick Google search didn't reveal much.

2 hours ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

I don't have an answer for you. I noticed no one else responded to your question so I thought I would reply with my terrible attempt to state the humorously obvious reply. 

Are there any ancient peoples who would wall barefoot in the cold? I've never heard of it. An extremely quick Google search didn't reveal much.

Looks like folks been wearing shoes for tens of thousands of years, especially in cold weather...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoe

21 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Is it really feasible for Hornfoots to go shoeless in the winter? 

Well, you already got a great answer to this from @OtherFromAnotherMother ^_^, but we do read this one part that makes me think they do need some sorta footwear (other than their boiled leather-like feet)...

A Dance with Dragons - Jon VII

"We shall. Put away your steel, all of you. We will have no blood shed here tonight."
Nine, Tom Barleycorn had said, and nine there were, but two were dead and one so weak he might have died by morning. The six who remained included a mother and child, two old men, a wounded Thenn in battered bronze, and one of the Hornfoot folk, his bare feet so badly frostbitten that Jon knew at a glance he would never walk again. Most had been strangers to one another when they came to the grove, he learned subsequently; when Stannis broke Mance Rayder's host, they had fled into the woods to escape the carnage, wandered for a time, lost friends and kin to cold and starvation, and finally washed up here, too weak and weary to go on. "The gods are here," one of the old men said. "This was as good a place to die as any."
"The Wall is only a few hours south of here," said Jon. "Why not seek shelter there? Others yielded. Even Mance."

Even this modern day survival guy wears socks! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Before King Jaehaerys I gave them Harrenhal do we know where House Strong's seat was? Did House Strong even have a seat before Harrenhal? 

Since the House was around in the Riverlands during Aegon's Conquest and their short name indicates a First Men origin, I am really sure they had a seat over all those years, probably somewhere near the Trident, as their arms depict the three forks.

Walder Frey narrowly missed joining the battle of the Trident but surely at least  the rebels must have known of his coming since the Freys would be behind their back with a so far unmolested force, with unknown intentions so far and now he's marching on them. Did he announce he was coming to help ahead of his march with riders or ravens? If not, why haven't the rebels not bothered themselves to learn of his intentions to make sure they won't be attacked from behind when trying to hold back Rhaegar's already bigger than theirs army?

Hey Guys,

I am new to the forum I really need your HELP.. I was doing probably my 4th reread and I came apon a Tyrion chapter where Cersei either hugged, kissed, or did some kind gesture to Tyrion and I distinctly recall Tyrion thinking something to the tune of "It felt better than anything" or "he had never felt better", basically I thought it was astonishing that he would think so strongly about how her affection made him feel, I tried to locate it in A search of Ice and Fire, to no avail, I am positive it is in there somewhere I need ALL OF YOUR HELP, PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME FIND THIS QUOTE!!!!! 

There's this from ACOK Tyrion VI (Chapter 25) 

Tyrion smiled. “Lord Stannis has sailed from Dragonstone.”

Cersei bolted to her feet. “And yet you sit there grinning like a harvest-day pumpkin? Has Bywater called out the City Watch? We must send a bird to Harrenhal at once.” He was laughing by then. She seized him by the shoulders and shook him. “Stop it. Are you mad, or drunk? Stop it!”

It was all he could do to get out the words. “I can’t,” he gasped. “It’s too … gods, too funny … Stannis …”

What?

“He hasn’t sailed against us,” Tyrion managed. “He’s laid siege to Storm’s End. Renly is riding to meet him.”

His sister’s nails dug painfully into his arms. For a moment she stared incredulous, as if he had begun to gibber in an unknown tongue. “Stannis and Renly are fighting each other?” When he nodded, Cersei began to chuckle. “Gods be good,” she gasped, “I’m starting to believe that Robert was the clever one.”

Tyrion threw back his head and roared. They laughed together. Cersei pulled him off the bed and whirled him around and even hugged him, for a moment as giddy as a girl. By the time she let go of him, Tyrion was breathless and dizzy. He staggered to her sideboard and put out a hand to steady himself.

“Do you think it will truly come to battle between them? If they should come to some accord—”

“They won’t,” Tyrion said. “They are too different and yet too much alike, and neither could ever stomach the other.”

“And Stannis has always felt he was cheated of Storm’s End,” Cersei said thoughtfully. “The ancestral seat of House Baratheon, his by rights … if you knew how many times he came to Robert singing that same dull song in that gloomy aggrieved tone he has. When Robert gave the place to Renly, Stannis clenched his jaw so tight I thought his teeth would shatter.”

“He took it as a slight.”

“It was meant as a slight,” Cersei said.

“Shall we raise a cup to brotherly love?”

“Yes,” she answered, breathless. “Oh, gods, yes.”

His back was to her as he filled two cups with sweet Arbor red. It was the easiest thing in the world to sprinkle a pinch of fine powder into hers. “To Stannis!” he said as he handed her the wine. Harmless when I’m alone, am I?

“To Renly!” she replied, laughing. “May they battle long and hard, and the Others take them both!”

Is this the Cersei that Jaime sees? When she smiled, you saw how beautiful she was, truly. I loved a maid as fair as summer, with sunlight in her hair. He almost felt sorry for poisoning her.

And then later in ACOK Tyrion VIII (Chapter 36).

“Tyrion, I know we do not always agree on policy, but it seems to me that I was wrong about you. You are not so big a fool as I imagined. In truth, I realize now that you have been a great help. For that I thank you. You must forgive me if I have spoken to you harshly in the past.”

“Must I?” He gave her a shrug, a smile. “Sweet sister, you have said nothing that requires forgiveness.”

“Today, you mean?” They both laughed … and Cersei leaned over and planted a quick, soft kiss on his brow.

Too astonished for words, Tyrion could only watch her stride off down the hall, Ser Preston at her side. “Have I lost my wits, or did my sister just kiss me?” he asked Bronn when she was gone.

“Was it so sweet?”

“It was … unanticipated.” Cersei had been behaving queerly of late. Tyrion found it very unsettling.

“I am trying to recall the last time she kissed me. I could not have been more than six or seven. Jaime had dared her to do it.”

2 hours ago, rotting sea cow said:

The first resurrection of Beric occurs before or after the birth of the dragons? 

I'm guessing after, but it isn't clear to me

Before, but we only hear the proper story (instead of rumours) much later on. IIRC.

Archived