Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

1 minute ago, RumHam said:

I don't think of Lysa as sickly, and I think her fertility issues were probably on Jon Arryn's end since she got pregnant prior to her marriage. Her and Catelyn's mother may qualify though. She died in childbirth and there's a line in the first book that makes it sound like she was sick a lot.

I can't think of anyone else at the moment.

Thank you for that information! Yea, I’m having a hard time thinking of anyone else too

22 hours ago, RumHam said:

don't think of Lysa as sickly, and I think her fertility issues were probably on Jon Arryn's end since she got pregnant prior to her marriage. Her and Catelyn's mother may qualify though. She died in childbirth and there's a line in the first book that makes it sound like she was sick a lot.

I thought it was highly implied that Lysa's fertility issues were due to the Tansy Tea Lord Tully made her drink after getting pregnant by LF? From Hoster's milk of the poppy mutterings it sounds like either something went wrong making it hard for Lysa to carry a baby to term afterwards or that it was taken too late in the pregnancy & did some damage that way. 

IIRC there's some things said that imply Theon's mother may be sickly? I might be wrong. &/Or possibly Arrianne & Quentyn's mother? 

2 hours ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

I thought it was highly implied that Lysa's fertility issues were due to the Tansy Tea Lord Tully made her drink after getting pregnant by LF? From Hoster's milk of the poppy mutterings it sounds like either something went wrong making it hard for Lysa to carry a baby to term afterwards or that it was taken too late in the pregnancy & did some damage that way. 

IIRC there's some things said that imply Theon's mother may be sickly? I might be wrong. &/Or possibly Arrianne & Quentyn's mother? 

Hm. I never took it that way. I thought Hoster's regret was because he forced Lysa to drink it when she wanted to keep the baby. I don't think Moon Tea has those kinda adverse after affects. At least not usually. but maybe if the dosage was off or as you say it was taken too late. 

I had the impression that Theon's mom's issues were age related. Including some memory issues where she forgets her eldest sons have died. 

7 hours ago, RumHam said:

Hm. I never took it that way. I thought Hoster's regret was because he forced Lysa to drink it when she wanted to keep the baby. I don't think Moon Tea has those kinda adverse after affects. At least not usually. but maybe if the dosage was off or as you say it was taken too late. 

I had the impression that Theon's mom's issues were age related. Including some memory issues where she forgets her eldest sons have died. 

It wasn't moon tea though it was Tansy tea. There are a couple passages like these: 

A Storm of Swords - Catelyn I

"Where was he wounded?"

"My lady, I am commanded not to speak with you. I am sorry." Gathering up his potions, Vyman made a hurried exit, and once again Catelyn was left alone with her father. The milk of the poppy had done its work, and Lord Hoster was sunk in heavy sleep. A thin line of spittle ran down from one corner of his open mouth to dampen his pillow. Catelyn took a square of linen and wiped it away gently. When she touched him, Lord Hoster moaned. "Forgive me," he said, so softly she could scarcely hear the words. "Tansy . . . blood . . . the blood . . . gods be kind . . ."

His words disturbed her more than she could say, though she could make no sense of them. Blood, she thought. Must it all come back to blood? Father, who was this woman, and what did you do to her that needs so much forgiveness?

That make me think something went wrong. That coupled with the fact that Lysa has a hard time carrying a baby to term - something that I don't think can be explained by Jon's "seed". 

Of course I could be wrong, this was just my take on it :)

And you are probably right about Theon's mom. It's been a while since I read that part. 

2 hours ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

It wasn't moon tea though it was Tansy tea. There are a couple passages like these: 

I believe Moon Tea and Tansy Tea are the same thing. It is simply two different names for the same tea. Moon tea has tansy in it. 

Sansa VII, SoS

"NO!" Lysa gave Sansa's head another wrench. Snow eddied around them, making their skirts snap noisily. "You can't want her. You can't. She's a stupid empty-headed little girl. She doesn't love you the way I have. I've always loved you. I've proved it, haven't I?" Tears ran down her aunt's puffy red face. "I gave you my maiden's gift. I would have given you a son too, but they murdered him with moon tea, with tansy and mint and wormwood, a spoon of honey and a drop of pennyroyal. It wasn't me, I never knew, I only drank what Father gave me . . ."

1 hour ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

I believe Moon Tea and Tansy Tea are the same thing. It is simply two different names for the same tea. Moon tea has tansy in it. 

Sansa VII, SoS

Maybe. I think either Moon tea is made with the following ingredients or they are separate things all together & she was given both. At any rate I assume the resulting blood & Hoster's guilt, Lysa's miscarriages indicate something didn't go as planned & it is Lysa with the fertility issues. 

8 minutes ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

Maybe. I think either Moon tea is made with the following ingredients or they are separate things all together & she was given both.

Hmmm... to me this  "I would have given you a son too, but they murdered him with moon tea, with tansy and mint and wormwood, a spoon of honey and a drop of pennyroyal" reads as if tansy is an ingredient, along with mint, wormwood, etc... This is why it is sometimes called Tansy Tea. Both Moon Tea and Tansy Tea are used for the same purpose, so it would make sense for it to be the same thing. 

But hey, to each their own. :cheers:

14 hours ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

I don’t recall anything about Mellario being sickly during her pregnancy. She apparently self-harmed though, at various times when Doran suggested taking her children away from her

Hypothetical question regarding the balance of power between the lord of a region and the crown in Westeros. 

If a lord travels with one of his banner lords to King's Landing and there the banner lord does something that the lord considers 'treasonous', would that lord be within his rights to execute the banner himself (Ned Stark style) on the spot? Would such an event happening in King's Landing mean there are extra considerations due to the law? Would a trial be the norm and if so, would it occur under the umbrella of the regional lord (be it Tyrell, Arryn, Stark, etc..) or the crown's authority?

15 minutes ago, Goats said:

Hypothetical question regarding the balance of power between the lord of a region and the crown in Westeros. 

If a lord travels with one of his banner lords to King's Landing and there the banner lord does something that the lord considers 'treasonous', would that lord be within his rights to execute the banner himself (Ned Stark style) on the spot? Would such an event happening in King's Landing mean there are extra considerations due to the law? Would a trial be the norm and if so, would it occur under the umbrella of the regional lord (be it Tyrell, Arryn, Stark, etc..) or the crown's authority?

I don't know if there is any text evidence for this but I would assume the Lord would be within his rights to execute him. I wouldn't see why a trial would be needed or expected. 

3 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Thanks. It would seem I'm not the only one that gathered the Tansy damaged Lysa some how & there is some confusion on whether moon tea & Tansy tea are the same or an ingredient. 

5 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I don’t recall anything about Mellario being sickly during her pregnancy. She apparently self-harmed though, at various times when Doran suggested taking her children away from her

I'm sure you are right. I haven't read it in a while & just remembered those mother's being absent & possible fragile in some way. 

6 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

As far as we know, she only threatened to do so, and only on one occasion.

"That green-haired girl was the Archon's daughter. I was to have sent you to Tyrosh in her place. You would have served the Archon as a cupbearer and met with your betrothed in secret, but your mother threatened to harm herself if I stole another of her children, and I . . . I could not do that to her."

(A Feast for Crows, The Princess in the Tower)

Is there any mention of what where heroes in the age of Heroes?

Finally the wise of both races prevailed, and the chiefs and heroes of the First Men met the greenseers and wood dancers amidst the weirwood groves of a small island in the great lake called Gods Eye.

From this quote, we know they were important and weren t leaders. In addition, if greenseers have a very special ability do heroes and wood dancers also have some magical ability?

13 minutes ago, The Sunland Lord said:

Why don't the Stark haters open a "Stark hate thread" already? I see no problem with it. There are other hate/appreciation threads also. 

There are more than enough Jon/Stark hate threads as it is, why would we need more? :lol:

18 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

There are more than enough Jon/Stark hate threads as it is, why would we need more? :lol:

My question is more about the quantity of threads and quality of the forum. If there is only one Stark hate thread it would make more sense than opening a new one every hour. The subjects are more or less the same.

Archived