Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

3 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I think that's what he meant about the war of the three queens. The squabbling between Cersei and Margaery will be joined by Daenerys. Or perhaps he intends to make Sansa a queen and have her join the fray after he removes Cersei from the board. 

I need desperately to reread Feast (and also Dance while I'm at it). Thanks for your reply!

Do we have any quotes to indicate that the Iron Throne stripped the titles and lands of Stannis after he proclaimed himself King?

I am aware that he is publicly called "traitor". But still, unlike his followers who are also called traitors (ASOS, Tyrion III), the Iron Throne doesn't seem to have appointed any new lords to his domains (Storm's End and Dragonstone).

10 minutes ago, Ckram said:

Do we have any quotes to indicate that the Iron Throne stripped the titles and lands of Stannis after he proclaimed himself King?

I am aware that he is publicly called "traitor". But still, unlike his followers who are also called traitors (ASOS, Tyrion III), the Iron Throne doesn't seem to have appointed any new lords to his domains (Storm's End and Dragonstone).

Yes. Ugh, erm, my quote isn’t working properly as it just links to the website to buy the book but its Sansa V, a game of thrones. Pycelle reads a long list of names of lords who must present themselves, and swear fealty to Joffrey or be judged traitors and stripped of land and titles. Among the list are Stannis and Renly. 

Actually it’s a funny quote in a bit of a twisted sense. It asks various nobles to present themselves or be stripped of their land. Shella Whent is one of these nobles. In the same Court session Janos Slynt is given Harrenhal. Guess she was too slow off the mark :P 

39 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Yes. Ugh, erm, my quote isn’t working properly as it just links to the website to buy the book but its Sansa V, a game of thrones. Pycelle reads a long list of names of lords who must present themselves, and swear fealty to Joffrey or be judged traitors and stripped of land and titles. Among the list are Stannis and Renly. 

Actually it’s a funny quote in a bit of a twisted sense. It asks various nobles to present themselves or be stripped of their land. Shella Whent is one of these nobles. In the same Court session Janos Slynt is given Harrenhal. Guess she was too slow off the mark :P 

She should have used the same wormhole Jason Mallister used to zap himself from the Crossroads Inn to the Tourney Grounds outside King’s Landing. 

On 1/11/2018 at 4:40 PM, Lost Melnibonean said:

Reasonable arguments can be made for Mirri Maz Duur (blood) and Jorah (gold). The former certainly betrayed Daenerys for the blood of her people and to work her blood magic. But I believe that Aegon is Daemon Blackfyre's heir and Illyrio's son. An Daenerys considers Illyrio to be her friend. Her closest advisers believe he is her friend. That sets up a real sweet treason for blood, no? 

Jorah took the eunuchs gold and spied on Daenerys, and when she found out, Daenerys was devastated. But Tyrion tells us that he might regret all those promissory notes he gave to the Second Sons. And above all else, the confessed kinslayer and convicted kingslayer wants Casterly Rock, so he could find himself in a desperate situation. 

I'm a little late to this party, sorry! I agree with what you said upthread about the treasons being real gamechangers, and I think, in that light, MMD and Jorah are just red herrings; that Danaerys believes that two of the three treasons are already accounted for are going to make whatever is in store that much more devastating.

But what really makes me doubt either of them are among the three treasons is that while they certainly both betrayed Dany's trust, neither Mirri nor Jorah were exactly sworn to her when they did it. Mirri offered to help with Drogo (and technically it's his own fault her ministrations didn't work, since he didn't follow her prescribed aftercare), and then agreed (after Dany insisted) to bring him back--and even then she warned Dany that it was a terrible idea and blood would pay for blood--she may have implied that since the Khaleesi had saved her from (further) rape, she was content to serve the Khal that had just destroyed her village, and she may have deliberately misled Dany into believing the horse would provide the blood, but I don't believe she ever actually promised any kind of loyalty. Mirri just never stopped being a Lhazarene--she was a POW, and from her perspective, she was protecting the world from the Stallion Who Would Have Mounted It. That's not so much Mirri's treason as Dany's misplaced trust (which I always kind of thought was why Dany was so vicious in her revenge for it).

And Jorah was actually in service to Varys in the first place. He was a covert agent who infiltrated Viserys and Dany's camp with the intention of providing information to the spider. His real treason was against Joffrey (I think Joff was king by then) when he became loyal (at least, what he called loyal) to Daenerys and finally did stop reporting to Varys.

So I don't think those two actually count. :)

14 hours ago, Ckram said:

Arianne says he is attainted, according to AFFC The Soiled Knight.

"Aye, but Tommen is a good-hearted boy. He will be a better king than Joffrey."

"But not better than Myrcella. She loves the boy as well. I know she will not let him come to any harm. Storm's End is his by rights, since Lord Renly left no heir and Lord Stannis is attainted. In time, Casterly Rock will pass to the boy as well, through his lady mother. He will be as great a lord as any in the realm . . . but Myrcella by rights should sit the Iron Throne."

Aurane Waters has his eye on Dragonstone, according to AFFC Cersei IX.

Rosby's gold would help refresh their coffers, and Rosby's lands and castle could be bestowed upon one of her own as a reward for leal service. Lord Waters, perhaps. Aurane had been hinting at his need for a seat; his lordship was only an empty honor without one. He had his eye on Dragonstone, Cersei knew, but there he aimed too high. Rosby would be more suitable to his birth and station.

3 hours ago, DanaKz said:

Do we have any, any information why Daeron the Dragon was never married or if he ever was betrothed?

No. It is possible that he did not see the need to marry immediately. After all, he was only fourteen years old when he ascended to the throne, and immediately went to war. It appears he desired to carve out a place in history for himself  more than he desired to ensure his own line by fathering an heir of his own body. And it is not like Daeron did not have an heir at all. We know that Baelor and Daena had wed during his reign, so the prospect of Baelor fathering children on Daena made Daeron believe for a while that the inheritance was secure enough for the time being. The rebellion in Dorne will have drawn his attention back to war again, of course.

Interestingly, Martin originally envisioned Daeron to have been married though. As far as I know, he has not given a reason for the change.

Westeros/Seven Kingdoms are inspired from medieval Europe, and in medieval Europe, at least the High- to late middle ages, people could enter a church and claim sanctuary. Is there a similar arrangement in septs. like the Great Sept of Baelor or the Starry Sept in Oldtown?

7 hours ago, The Sunland Lord said:

What's with the bad fates of the singers? Does it have some meaning or is it random? 

I think it has a meaning. The Series' Title is indicative of the difference between songs, or stories, and reality. Singers are essentially liars, romanticizing the horror rather than acknowledging it. For example, "The Dance of the Dragons" is a name made up by singers to cover the true brutality of a massive Civil War over a minor succession dispute. 

15 minutes ago, Pride of Driftmark said:

I think it has a meaning. The Series' Title is indicative of the difference between songs, or stories, and reality. Singers are essentially liars, romanticizing the horror rather than acknowledging it. For example, "The Dance of the Dragons" is a name made up by singers to cover the true brutality of a massive Civil War over a minor succession dispute. 

Thank you for your answer. And welcome :)

17 minutes ago, Pride of Driftmark said:

That's a great inaugural post! Welcome! :cheers:

Archived