Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

1 hour ago, Euron Lannister said:

is there a possibility that the prologue of TWOW is the theorized red wedding 2.0, and jeyne westerling is the bride?

I doubt it. Right now, she would not be a very desirable, or willing, bride, would she? 

11 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I doubt it. Right now, she would not be a very desirable, or willing, bride, would she? 

Additionally,

"Your lord father promised me worthy marriages for Jeyne and her younger sister. Lords or heirs, he swore to me, not younger sons nor household knights."

Lords or heirs. To be sure. The Westerlings were an old House, and proud, but Lady Sybell herself had been born a Spicer, from a line of upjumped merchants. Her grandmother had been some sort of half-mad witch woman from the east, he seemed to recall. And the Westerlings were impoverished. Younger sons would have been the best that Sybell Spicer's daughters could have hoped for in the ordinary course of events, but a nice fat pot of Lannister gold would make even a dead rebel's widow look attractive to some lord. "You'll have your marriages," said Jaime, "but Jeyne must wait two full years before she weds again." If the girl took another husband too soon and had a child by him, inevitably there would come whispers that the Young Wolf was the father. (AFFC Jaime VII)

6 hours ago, Loose Bolt said:

City charter.

What privilegies and duties city charter creates? 

For instance if Hoares had given Fairmarket a charter how that "city" would be different from town that it it is nowadays?

I’m not an expert by any means, but a quick look through google suggests it would be things like rights of trade, commerce, self-governance etc. I guess what would make it different from a township would be the scope - e.g. they’ve rights to hire a larger city guard, more positions of local government available etc.

1 hour ago, Euron Lannister said:

why did cersei rename the small council positions and why did Kevan restore the old names but did not abolish the new ones?

Cersei had uprooted every rose, and all those beholden to her uncle and brothers. In their places were men whose loyalty would be to her. She had even given them new styles, borrowed from the Free Cities; the queen would have no "masters" at court beside herself. (Cersei IV, AFFC)

13 minutes ago, Widow's Watch said:

Cersei had uprooted every rose, and all those beholden to her uncle and brothers. In their places were men whose loyalty would be to her. She had even given them new styles, borrowed from the Free Cities; the queen would have no "masters" at court beside herself. (Cersei IV, AFFC)

thanks, but wasn't the master of whisperers still a "master"-title according to the wiki that position was not renamed.

its been a while since i read affc and adwd

It's it explicitly explained why Areo stayed in Dorne and is devoted to Doran instead of returning with Mellario and being devoted to her?

Background thoughts:

Even entering the service of House Martel, it strikes me as odd that he wouldn't be a default assumption to go with her "on behalf" of the Martels but also just because he was hers and why would that change? Especially given that there wasn't peace in that marriage and psychology suggests he'd side with her (yes, serve & obey ... protect... but who?) and that would be a barrier.

I'm thinking there should... or would be, if it was explicitly addressed... a stray thought or two of his that would indicate a rift or - ... something.

3 minutes ago, Lady Anna said:

Did the Faceless Men have something to do with the fall of Valyria? I think something of the kind was implicit in the text, but I don't recall.

The Wiki has a good write up on the Doom.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Doom_of_Valyria

It is commonly believed that the Doom was a natural calamity caused by the eruption of the Fourteen Flames, although some septons believe the polytheistic Valyrians delved too deep to the seven hells. Alternatively, Septon Barth and some maestersbelieve that Valyrian spells controlling the Fourteen Flames faltered. Other explanations include the curse of Garin the Great, the fire of R'hllor, or infighting dragonlords assassinating fire mages.[3]

2 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

The Wiki has a good write up on the Doom.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Doom_of_Valyria

It is commonly believed that the Doom was a natural calamity caused by the eruption of the Fourteen Flames, although some septons believe the polytheistic Valyrians delved too deep to the seven hells. Alternatively, Septon Barth and some maestersbelieve that Valyrian spells controlling the Fourteen Flames faltered. Other explanations include the curse of Garin the Great, the fire of R'hllor, or infighting dragonlords assassinating fire mages.[3]

The fourteen flames.....Thanks! ;)

16 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

It's it explicitly explained why Areo stayed in Dorne and is devoted to Doran instead of returning with Mellario and being devoted to her?

Background thoughts:

Even entering the service of House Martel, it strikes me as odd that he wouldn't be a default assumption to go with her "on behalf" of the Martels but also just because he was hers and why would that change? Especially given that there wasn't peace in that marriage and psychology suggests he'd side with her (yes, serve & obey ... protect... but who?) and that would be a barrier.

I'm thinking there should... or would be, if it was explicitly addressed... a stray thought or two of his that would indicate a rift or - ... something.

One possible explanation is him staying for Mellario’s children (though as an aside it always seems odd that she threatens to self harm if Doran takes away any more of her children...before leaving her children?) to watch over and protect them for her. It’s also quite clear he cares deeply for arriane at least so I rather like this explanation best.

Another possibility is that he just became so accustomed to Dorne he ‘adopts’ it a season his new home and decides to stay.

51 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

One possible explanation is him staying for Mellario’s children ... It’s also quite clear he cares deeply for arriane at least so I rather like this explanation best.

Though he obeys Doran, not Arriane.

Either way, not explicitly addressed seems to be the answer.

There's probably not really an iron clad rule about this but:

Say there are three sons of a lord, and each son has a son of his own. The first son and his son both die, and the second son is sent to the Night's Watch.

When the lord dies would he be succeeded by the son of the second son or the third son? Would the second son being disinherited also disinherit his son, would it just bump him down in the succession, or would there be no change?

37 minutes ago, Darion Storm said:

There's probably not really an iron clad rule about this but:

Say there are three sons of a lord, and each son has a son of his own. The first son and his son both die, and the second son is sent to the Night's Watch.

When the lord dies would he be succeeded by the son of the second son or the third son? Would the second son being disinherited also disinherit his son, would it just bump him down in the succession, or would there be no change?

It depends on the reason the second son took the black. If he took the black freely like Mormont, his son would inherit his claim. Even if he was forced to take the black, his son would likely inherit his claim. But if he was attainted, his son might have a problem. 

Archived