Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

7 hours ago, Ran said:

Thanks! Now the only tiny mystery is where did Werthead get GRRM's reasoning process. Maybe he heard it at some convention?

1 hour ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Thanks for the search. I didn't see anything that fit the description, did you? 

I mistakenly thought you were unaware of the search site. I tried several combinations of search keywords, all return null result. 

1 hour ago, zionius said:

Thanks! Now the only tiny mystery is where did Werthead get GRRM's reasoning process. Maybe he heard it at some convention?

I mistakenly thought you were unaware of the search site. I tried several combinations of search keywords, all return null result. 

No, I really appreciated the search. I have the books in an ereader, so I can do it that way too. I don't think there is a structure that fits very well. 

5 hours ago, zionius said:

Don't think he was at Interaction. However, what Wert says is similar to what I and others who were present at the time made of GRRM's remarks, namely that the thing that makes GRRM consider him the worst king was that he deliberately indulged in misrule. I don't think George outright said this, but given what he revealed about Aegon IV, his comparison of him to Flashman, etc., it seems the only way to make sense of it.

10 hours ago, Ran said:

Don't think he was at Interaction. However, what Wert says is similar to what I and others who were present at the time made of GRRM's remarks, namely that the thing that makes GRRM consider him the worst king was that he deliberately indulged in misrule. I don't think George outright said this, but given what he revealed about Aegon IV, his comparison of him to Flashman, etc., it seems the only way to make sense of it.

I didn't read Flashman and I Claudius, so I naively thought GRRM was simply quoting two first-person historic novels. 

Now I see the similarity between the three characters, and are much more expecting the Aegon IV novel! 

"By land or by sea, there are long leagues between Meereen and Volantis," Tyrion observed.
"Five hundred fifty, as the dragon flies..."

In LOIAF, using the wall as ruler, the distance is about 400 leagues. If we use the distance between the Wall and Dornish shore(1000 leagues per @Werthead) as ruler, the distance is still only 480 leagues.

Is that a minor inconsistency? Maybe they don't know enough geodesy/spherical trigonometry and the figure was approximately deduced from land travel distance.

There's enough variation between maps that it's probably fair to say that the figure works more-or-less on George's own, hand-drawn map, when you include some rounding, and then there's simply the fact that medieval-era tech for measuring distances was not great.

11 hours ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

@Ran

I met someone who claimed there was a High King called Euron I Greyjoy (who was cut from the Worldbook) who made peace with the Arbor king by taking his daughter as a salt wife, but then attacked the Arbor though. Is that right?

Nope. The only references to anyone named Euron are to the present-day Euron Greyjoy.

Euron is the Third of That Name since the Grey King, just as Balon was the Ninth. That indicates that there were three kings of the name Euron Greyjoy back in the days of the driftwood kings, just as there were eight kings named Balon Greyjoy during that era.

Unless we assume the Lords Reaper of Pyke under the Targaryens also counted themselves as if they had been kings. Then it is possible that there were a few Balons and Eurons after Lord Vickon Greyjoy.

However, the idea that there were such kings would be the preferred one, in any case. There is no precedent for lords running around saying they are such-and-such of that name.

33 minutes ago, Ran said:

Yes, I think I mentioned it on Reddit awhile back.

Ahh, that is an interesting piece of history. Do you know the name of that trustworthy fellow?

@Lord Varys

I got the impression that the driftwood kings were numbered by their given name, so there would have been two more Eurons, but not necessarily of House Greyjoy.

3 minutes ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

I got the impression that the driftwood kings were numbered by their given name, so there would have been two more Eurons, but not necessarily of House Greyjoy.

Well, we know Qhored Hoare was recognizably a Hoare.

I'd be surprised if Balon or Euron counted all the kingly Balons and Eurons they were not related to.

But, yeah, in fact it is an interesting conundrum what happened in the royal level when the dynasty changed.

Would Daemon Blackfyre's eldest son Aegon have been King Aegon, the Fifth of That Name, or the First of That Name, due to the fact that he wasn't a Targaryen. Or what about a Baratheon king bearing a Targaryen royal name?

@Lord Varys

I just found out where I got that impression from. The German translation changed Urragon III Greyiron's successor Urrathon IV Goodbrother to Urragon IV Goodbrother (as mentioned in ADWD). And then it changed Torgon's heir Urragon IV Greyiron to Urragon V Greyiron. So in the German version driftwood kings seem to get numbered by their given name.

I've figured out most back stories in the dedications and acknowledgments of each books. Phyllis Eisenstein told him to include the dragons, Stephen Boucher repaired his DOS computer and thus saved the manuscripts of aFfC, Spanish fans sang The Bear and the Maiden Fair to him, Peter Gibbs created Dragonstone fansite. Carl Keim told him to design castles, Jane Johnson to describe rock climbing, Melinda Snodgrass to describe horses, Daniel Abraham to divide aDwD into two books. 

Some still remain mysterious, though.

1. Why aGoT was dedicated to Melinda (Snodglass)? For assistance in Wild Cards or aGoT?

2. Who're John and Gail in the dedication of aCoK?

3. Sage Walker was named his Archmaester and acknowledged for "leeches and fevers and broken bones", Walter Jon Williams guided him "across more salty seas", did those refer to anything in particular?

5. GRRM mentioned some "SCA combat expert to help with the swordfights", who's that guy? I guess it should be someone in the acknowledgment of aGoT, namely, Sage Walker, Martin Wright, Bruce Baugh, Tim O’Brien, Roger Zelazny, Jane Lindskold, or Laura J. Mixon.

Archived