Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

What's the popular opinion on Val's eyecolor? Is it grey or blue?

By the way, when GRRM is in discrepancy with himself, is it best to think of as the last thing he wrote to be the right one or what he wrote earlier?

20 minutes ago, mzso said:

What's the popular opinion on Val's eyecolor? Is it grey or blue?

Blue-grey! ;)

20 minutes ago, mzso said:

By the way, when GRRM is in discrepancy with himself, is it best to think of as the last thing he wrote to be the right one or what he wrote earlier?

Having some personal experience of it, it kind of depends. I've often erred on the side of "most recent" only to find that that was just a typo and the older was intended. With a large enough body of text, you can generally assume the usage that is most common is the right one.

57 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

What did you mean? 

I hope this doesn't sound like a whole lot of gibberish. 

It seems like there could be a connection between the Targaryens leaving Dragonstone, so to speak, and the failure at hatching dragon eggs. When I say left Dragonstone, what I mean by that is it seems like no Targaryen children were born on the island between Viserys II (122 AC) and Rhaenys (281 AC). The eggs that were put in the cradles, some hatched, some didn't and then they didn't hatch anymore.  

I've just been wondering if there is a connection between the hatching of the eggs and the Targaryen children being born away from Dragonstone especially after the last dragons died in Westeros. I was wondering if it was something that was brought up.

23 minutes ago, Widow's Watch said:

I hope this doesn't sound like a whole lot of gibberish. 

It seems like there could be a connection between the Targaryens leaving Dragonstone, so to speak, and the failure at hatching dragon eggs. When I say left Dragonstone, what I mean by that is it seems like no Targaryen children were born on the island between Viserys II (122 AC) and Rhaenys (281 AC). The eggs that were put in the cradles, some hatched, some didn't and then they didn't hatch anymore.  

I've just been wondering if there is a connection between the hatching of the eggs and the Targaryen children being born away from Dragonstone especially after the last dragons died in Westeros. I was wondering if it was something that was brought up.

Sorry man, I haven't seen anything like that. 

thanks WW for bringing this up, I have wondered these things about dragons too ...

Lost Melnionean 
(or this goes out to any of our other "knowledge fountains" - who know who you are! )  

is there a summary on the theories of dragon hatching?

26 minutes ago, Yaya said:

thanks WW for bringing this up, I have wondered these things about dragons too ...

Lost Melnionean 
(or this goes out to any of our other "knowledge fountains" - who know who you are! )  

is there a summary on the theories of dragon hatching?

I haven't seen a summary of such theories. :dunno:

15 hours ago, Widow's Watch said:

Aside from the fact that I don't find this idea very convincing, I actually don't think that the underlying assumption is likely to be correct.

We have some very good information on births and people residing on Dragonstone during the reign of Viserys I and the Dance, but that doesn't mean the later generations predominantly lived at KL.

For instance, we do know that Daeron II lived on Dragonstone while he was Prince of Dragonstone during the reign of his father - very much like Rhaegar and Rhaenyra - and while he may not have lived there when his son Baelor was born (shortly before King Baelor's death) chances are actually pretty good that 2-3 of Daeron II's younger sons were born on Dragonstone.

Vice versa, Baelor Breakspear's sons could also have been born there if he and Jena Dondarrion lived there before Daeron II made him his Hand.

Later still we have Princess Vaella (b. in 222 AC, when her father was Prince of Dragonstone) and Prince Maegor (b. in 232 AC when his father may have been Prince of Dragonstone). Both Daeron and Aerion (or their wives) may have resided on the island when their children were born.

Even Aerys II and Rhaella may have been born on Dragonstone considering that their father, the future Jaehaerys II, was Prince of Dragonstone when these children were born. Could be that Egg's sons all lived with him in the Red Keep, but it might be that Jaehaerys II also liked to live at the ancestral seat of his family, considering that he liked tradition so much.

Vice versa, it actually seems that only very few Targaryens were actually born on Dragonstone back in the days when the dragons prospered. Aenys and Maegor both seem to have been in KL, as were all the children of Aenys and Alyssa.

Jaehaerys I's thirteen children likely were all born in the Red Keep, too, considering that it was the main residence of the king. Princess Rhaenys may have been born on Dragonstone if her father, Prince Aemon, resided there. Viserys I, Daemon, and their brother Aegon likely were all born in KL considering that their father Baelon wasn't the Prince of Dragonstone at the time of their birth.

The Targaryen-Velaryons were born on Driftmark, Rhaenyra may have been born on Dragonstone considering her grandfather Baelon was Prince of Dragonstone at the time and not yet Hand of the King.

Rhaenyra's elder sons all were born in KL because that was the place where Rhaenyra predominantly lived before the year 119 AC. Only Aegon and Viserys were born on Dragonstone.

How do you pronounce Jaehaerys?
It would be logical to be pronounced with an /e/ (or maybe an /eː/) as is typical (and apparently as it is in latin), such as maester or Daenerys. Though it feels odd with this combination of consonants.

Speculation question about Trial by Combat Bronn vs. Egen: Do you think Littlefinger told Lysa to make "her champion" use Jon Arryn's silver sword, with the hopes that Tyrion would live?  The timeline may not line up, since the trial happened the same/next day, but it just popped into my head with my newest reread.  

22 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Speculation question about Trial by Combat Bronn vs. Egen: Do you think Littlefinger told Lysa to make "her champion" use Jon Arryn's silver sword, with the hopes that Tyrion would live?  The timeline may not line up, since the trial happened the same/next day, but it just popped into my head with my newest reread.  

I doubt there was that much control. 

11 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

No. LF would have learned about the trial only after it had happened. Even if he had known, such instructions would not be send by raven, which the maester would read, but by personal messenger, who would simply not be able to reach the Eyrie in time.

This idea was Lysa's, and hers alone

I am a newcomer here, but is there a logical reason that each owner of Harrenhal dies and their family goes extinct? Or is it just purely a coincidence?

Edit: From what I can find on the wiki, Houses Hoare, Qoherys, Harroway, Lothston, Whent, Slynt all died out.

3 minutes ago, Brynden Blackfyre said:

I am a newcomer here, but is there a logical reason that each owner of Harrenhal dies and their family goes extinct? Or is it just purely a coincidence?

I don't think there is a definite explanation. I think the best idea is that the curse developed when Harren had his rafters and beams constructed from weirwood. 

24 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I don't think there is a definite explanation. I think the best idea is that the curse developed when Harren had his rafters and beams constructed from weirwood. 

But how could the 'curse' develop from the weir wood? As far as I know, George strays away from curses and such, showing little magic (I may be wrong here).

2 hours ago, Brynden Blackfyre said:

But how could the 'curse' develop from the weir wood? As far as I know, George strays away from curses and such, showing little magic (I may be wrong here).

Fire breathing dragons, skinchangers, greenseers, Melisandre, the Black Gate...

On 4/6/2018 at 3:37 PM, Ran said:

I don't know when he first publicly stated it, but Linda and I got our first look at it in 1999.

And I believe you have said that Aegon IV, his mistresses, and Bloodraven were both in there, right? Were the other great bastards mentioned in there? 

2 hours ago, Euron Lannister said:

when Aegon IV legitimized his bastards, shouldn't their name be targaryan afterwards?

why are Bloodraven and Bitersteel still called rivers and why did Daemon and Shiera took different housenames?

Daemon took the name "Blackfyre" after he received the sword, two years before he was legitimized.

The other legitimized bastards could, I suppose, have taken the Targaryen name, but I doubt that the new king would take that well. Additionally, legitimized bastards can decide to keep their bastard surname (similar to legitimate offspring of a bastard, who can keep their bastard born parent's surname).

Archived