Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

11 hours ago, Brynden Blackfyre said:

I am a newcomer here, but is there a logical reason that each owner of Harrenhal dies and their family goes extinct? Or is it just purely a coincidence?

I don't think there is any good explanation for the curse of Harrenhal, but there many hints and indications that something is to this whole. Even the Realm got cursed at least two times at Harrenhal - first during the First Great Council at Harrenhal in 101 AC when the succession of Jaehaerys I was peacefully settled, but the first seeds for the Dance of the Dragons were sown, and second during the Tourney of Harrenhal in the Year of the False Spring.

There is a reason why George chose Harrenhal as the location for these two events. However, in-universe people only seem to connect the families controlling to tragedies, not also the people hanging out there.

6 hours ago, Euron Lannister said:

when Aegon IV legitimized his bastards, shouldn't their name be targaryan afterwards?

why are Bloodraven and Bitersteel still called rivers and why did Daemon and Shiera took different housenames?

They should, and especially Brynden Rivers should have been died/remembered as Prince Brynden Targaryen, considering what he did for his royal half-brother and his two royal nephews.

While it makes sense that Daemon Waters may have kept his chosen name, Blackfyre, the man should have seriously considered (or been tempted) to become the second Prince Daemon Targaryen considering that this man was the wonder of his age and his own great-grandfather.

Aegor Rivers and Shiera Seastar most definitely should have called themselves 'Targaryen'. That's what they were after their legitimization. A legitimization is about the name - if the bastards can't bear the names of their fathers afterwards they are not *really* legitimized, are they?

1 hour ago, Brynden Blackfyre said:

Small Question (Hopefully)

• Could the wight army take the Vale? Assuming they could sustain themselves by growing their own food (With no outside aid). The wights should not have giants either.

Why would the wight army need food, they are dead? 

21 minutes ago, Brynden Blackfyre said:

the people in the Vale I meant

Sorry

Oh, I got you. Well, the Othor chapter in Game suggests that the wights might need the cold to work. If that's the case, the wight army ought to be able to operate wherever it's cold enough. I don't see why they couldn't invade the Vale. 

46 minutes ago, Brynden Blackfyre said:

It is suggested that the Vale is "impregnable" by many. Also, the wights probably don't have siege techniques, or brains for that matter. (Can they think?) Even if they breach the Bloody Gate, the defenders can rain fire arrows and stones down on the wights. 

Sooner or later you run out of fire arrows and stones to rain down. And the terrain, which channels invading armies toward the Bloody Gate, might not be as much of an obstacle for an undead army. 

1 hour ago, Brynden Blackfyre said:

It is suggested that the Vale is "impregnable" by many. Also, the wights probably don't have siege techniques, or brains for that matter. (Can they think?) Even if they breach the Bloody Gate, the defenders can rain fire arrows and stones down on the wights. 

I don't think it's the Vale that's impregnable. It's the Eyrie, IIRC.

Its just a hypothetical situation. You do understand what that means right?

13 hours ago, mzso said:

Precisely. It's also abandoned for the winter, so the wights would have no interest.

And yeah I meant the Eyrie place.

20 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Sooner or later you run out of fire arrows and stones to rain down. And the terrain, which channels invading armies toward the Bloody Gate, might not be as much of an obstacle for an undead army. 

Could you specify how?

2 hours ago, Brynden Blackfyre said:

Its just a hypothetical situation. You do understand what that means right?

And yeah I meant the Eyrie place.

Could you specify how?

Men can't cross the Mountrains that border the Vale in force, so invading armies have to enter through the Bloody Gate, which is very defensible. Unless the mountains are completely impassable, dead men might be able to cross in large numbers while live men cannot. 

8 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Men can't cross the Mountrains that border the Vale in force, so invading armies have to enter through the Bloody Gate, which is very defensible. Unless the mountains are completely impassable, dead men might be able to cross in large numbers while live men cannot. 

ah ok thanks

Did Jon "know" about his warging abilities all the back in AGOT Jon VII? Jon thinks to himself, "Their wolves might have kept them safe, but Lady is dead and Nymeria's lost, they're all alone." How could he have known otherwise?

Just now, Brynden Blackfyre said:

Quick question:

Can someone quickly summarize the current situation in the books? Like the battles, major people etc...

Kind of a tall order. :D

Have you not read the books? There are summaries to be found online, like the wiki of ice and fire. 

2 minutes ago, Brynden Blackfyre said:

I have read the books a few times. How dare you accuse me of being a heathen

But anyway thanks

Oi. Not accusing you of anything, merely asking a question. 

59 minutes ago, Brynden Blackfyre said:

Quick question:

Can someone quickly summarize the current situation in the books? Like the battles, major people etc...

as @kissdbyfire said, it is a tall order. A couple suggestions ---- using your favorite search engine type the words:  summary asoiaf.

another is    http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Chapters

Archived