Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

39 minutes ago, The Sunland Lord said:

While unrelated to your point, which by the way makes sense, I noticed that Jon Connington has a Ned vibe about him. And also Young Griff reminds me of the Young Wolf. 

Jon Conn having a Ned vibe about him, definitely agree with you. Do you mind elaborating on Young Griff and Robb?

8 minutes ago, Widow's Watch said:

Jon Conn having a Ned vibe about him, definitely agree with you. Do you mind elaborating on Young Griff and Robb?

1. The way he is accepted as a leader/king by the Golden Company before they went to Westeros is similar to Robb's coronation by the Northern lords.

2. He is around the same age as Robb was when he went to war. He is a brave kid warrior, exactly like Robb was.

3. He is a king.

4. He goes to war against the regime which killed his father. (no matter what the truth about his father is)

I think that the author made him the "Young" symbolically, the "Young" animals have something in common. But again that's symbolic and it maybe is just my opinion.

Do we know who this river lord is from ACoK, Tyrion IV?

“A lordling down from the Trident, says your father’s men burned his keep, raped his wife, and killed all his peasants.”

“I believe they call that war.” Tyrion smelled Gregor Clegane’s work, or that of Ser Amory Lorch or his father’s other pet hellhound, the Qohorik. “What does he want of Joffrey?”

“New peasants,” Bronn said. “He walked all this way to sing how loyal he is and beg for recompense.”

“I’ll make time for him on the morrow.” Whether truly loyal or merely desperate, a compliant river lord might have his uses. “See that he’s given a comfortable chamber and a hot meal. Send him a new pair of boots as well, good ones, courtesy of King Joffrey.” A show of generosity never hurt.

1 hour ago, Lommy's Shade said:

A few years ago I looked for all the lords in the riverlands, and found two or three possible candidates. Beyond that, I guess we don't know. 

And maybe he's from an unnamed minor house.

3 hours ago, Lommy's Shade said:

1 hour ago, zionius said:

A few years ago I looked for all the lords in the riverlands, and found two or three possible candidates. Beyond that, I guess we don't know. 

And maybe he's from an unnamed minor house.

I agree. I don't think we do know who it is. 

This may have been answered earlier, but some searches turned up nothing. Mad King Aerys was willing to burn down King's Landing, with him in it, because he thought (like Aerion Brightflame) he would turn into a dragon rather than simply dying (also he would surely be killed eventually by the rebels now seizing his capital). However, he required the assistance of a number of alchemists, led by Wisdom Rossart. We get no indication that they're suicidal, and they seem functional enough to handle wildfire without it going off and killing them. So why would they also be willing be commit suicide with the king? And wouldn't an ancient guild have taken more care to preserve its knowledge & perpetuate itself? I've tried asking this of a tumblr meta writer (to no response, which perhaps shouldn't be surprising since they could get a lot of questions), but I think this might be the better place for it.

1 hour ago, FictionIsntReal said:

This may have been answered earlier, but some searches turned up nothing. Mad King Aerys was willing to burn down King's Landing, with him in it, because he thought (like Aerion Brightflame) he would turn into a dragon rather than simply dying (also he would surely be killed eventually by the rebels now seizing his capital). However, he required the assistance of a number of alchemists, led by Wisdom Rossart. We get no indication that they're suicidal, and they seem functional enough to handle wildfire without it going off and killing them. So why would they also be willing be commit suicide with the king? And wouldn't an ancient guild have taken more care to preserve its knowledge & perpetuate itself? I've tried asking this of a tumblr meta writer (to no response, which perhaps shouldn't be surprising since they could get a lot of questions), but I think this might be the better place for it.

I don't know if that is a small question. You might want to start a thread. It's an interesting question. Would the pyromancers actually have followed Aerys's orders to burn them all to their own deaths? What do you think? Have you explored all the passages that discuss Aerys's plan, the pyromancers, and Jaime's most infamous act? 

22 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I don't know if that is a small question. You might want to start a thread. It's an interesting question. Would the pyromancers actually have followed Aerys's orders to burn them all to their own deaths? What do you think? Have you explored all the passages that discuss Aerys's plan, the pyromancers, and Jaime's most infamous act? 

Ok, I've created a thread here.

1 hour ago, The Sunland Lord said:

Why the Valyrians aren't included in the titles?

"King of the Valyrians, Andals, Rhoynar and the First Men".

The Targaryens themselves and other people in Westeros have Valyrian roots. So it's strange that they aren't included.

I think it's because the dominant race in the North is First Men, and in Dorne it's Rhoynar, and in between it's Andal, and the Iron Throne rules all thre regions. 

35 minutes ago, Euron Lannister said:

why isn't mance's campain counted as part of the war of the five kings?

i always thought it would be till the renly-balon gab was mentioned, which i thought would have been filled by him

and what should he have done, to be couted?

The War of the Five Kings was a battle over dominion over parts of the Seven Kingdoms. The lands north off the Wall are not part of the Seven Kingdoms, and he was not battling for dominion over (part of) the kingdom.

Only the battle beneath the Wall is counted as part of the war, as it is part of Stannis's campaign in the north.

36 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I think it's because the dominant race in the North is First Men, and in Dorne it's Rhoynar, and in between it's Andal, and the Iron Throne rules all thre regions. 

Yes but Valyrians aren't included and we know there are people of Valyrian descent in Westeros. 

13 minutes ago, The Sunland Lord said:

Yes but Valyrians aren't included and we know there are people of Valyrian descent in Westeros. 

The Valyrians make up only a tiny fraction of Westeros DNA. The Targs and a few bastards here and there make up most of the Valyrian blood on the continent. Really not worth mentioning in a 3 line delivery of what you're kingdom includes. 

AGOT 23, Arya III :

"It's for his sake I'm come. Rode hard, I did, near killed my horse the way I drove her, but I left the others well behind."

"The others?"

Yoren spat. "Sellswords and freeriders and like trash. That inn was full o' them, and I saw them take the scent. The scent of blood or the scent of gold, they smell the same in the end. Not all o' them made for King's Landing, either. Some went galloping for Casterly Rock, and the Rock lies closer. Lord Tywin will have gotten the word by now, you can count on it."

Seems like Yoren is the first to bring the news of Catelyn capturing Tyrion in King's Landing.

However, earlier in the same chapter, Varys tells Illyrio this :

And now his wife has abducted Tyrion Lannister, thanks to Littlefinger's meddling.

I don't see Varys' little birds using a raven to give him the news, too dangerous, so how could they have done it quickier than Yoren ?

6 hours ago, The Sunland Lord said:

There are a few Ibbenese and Summer Islanders too. Gotta draw the line somewhere I suppose. 

5 hours ago, Mychel_Redfort said:

AGOT 23, Arya III :

"It's for his sake I'm come. Rode hard, I did, near killed my horse the way I drove her, but I left the others well behind."

"The others?"

Yoren spat. "Sellswords and freeriders and like trash. That inn was full o' them, and I saw them take the scent. The scent of blood or the scent of gold, they smell the same in the end. Not all o' them made for King's Landing, either. Some went galloping for Casterly Rock, and the Rock lies closer. Lord Tywin will have gotten the word by now, you can count on it."

Seems like Yoren is the first to bring the news of Catelyn capturing Tyrion in King's Landing.

However, earlier in the same chapter, Varys tells Illyrio this :

And now his wife has abducted Tyrion Lannister, thanks to Littlefinger's meddling.

I don't see Varys' little birds using a raven to give him the news, too dangerous, so how could they have done it quickier than Yoren ?

Maybe it was the Mallisters! When Catelyn arrives at the Crossroads Inn, she sees the Lord of Seagard. Then the Lord of Seagard is at the Hand's Tourney. But then Yoren arrives and says he rode as quick as he could to give Eddard the news of Tyrion's abduction. How'd Mallister get to King's Landing so fast? What makes it even worse is that Yoren tells us Casterly Rock is closer to the Trident than King's Landing, which seems whacky.

My best guess is that the Mallisters and Varys slipped through Arya's wormhole near the Mud Gate where Sandor stuffed thousands and thousands of gold coins into his pockets. :cool4:

(Sometimes it best not to look too closely.)

11 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

There are a few Ibbenese and Summer Islanders too. Gotta draw the line somewhere I suppose. 

Haha, imagine changing the whole titles thing because of Jalabhar Xho.

Although there are quite more peoples with Valyrian descent than Summer Islanders. Doesn't really mater. It's not of utter importance. 

Archived