Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

2 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

It's soooooo pretty...

Yes, LM, it is pretty. It doesn't show up until I sign in and disagree with the cookie thing. Sometimes you are as helpful as nipples on a breastplate.

29 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

What is that pretty aqua blue circular icon with multiple dots?

We are starting to make preparations for the implementation of GDPR in Europe. Among the things that that requires is a way for people to be able to decide to change their mind regarding cookies. This is just an initial implementation, work in progress.

5 minutes ago, Ran said:

We are starting to make preparations for the implementation of GDPR in Europe. Among the things that that requires is a way for people to be able to decide to change their mind regarding cookies. This is just an initial implementation, work in progress.

Oooh, it even sounds shiny!

18 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

:rofl:

:wub:

Now the pretty aqua circle with it dots shows up at the bottom of the screen. And I do not have the cookie agree or disagree at the top.

27 minutes ago, Ran said:

We are starting to make preparations for the implementation of GDPR in Europe.

Dagnabit, Ran, I'm gonna spend a few days on the internet trying to figure out what GDPR is.

Thanks for the info though. :dunce:

5 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

:wub:

Now the pretty aqua circle with it dots shows up at the bottom of the screen. And I do not have the cookie agree or disagree at the top.

Decided to put it at the bottom to see how that worked. Like I said, work in progress. The circle is a logo representing a cookie (chocolate chip-type).

5 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Dagnabit, Ran, I'm gonna spend a few days on the internet trying to figure out what GDPR is.

Thanks for the info though. :dunce:

It's an EU directive concerning privacy and control of personal details. It basically means pretty much all websites that serve people in the EU have to do some things to record and respond to consent and so on. Complicated stuff. It goes into effect on May 25th, so you'll probably notice a lot of sites mentioning it, or asking you to look at updated privacy notices, etc.

10 hours ago, Widow's Watch said:

I have a quick timeline question. The wiki says that the Battle of the Bells happened in 283. Was this from an SSM?

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Years_after_Aegon's_Conquest/Calculations_Events#After_the_Conquest

In mid 300 AC, it is stated that it has been 17 years since the Battle of the Bells,[23] placing the Battle of the Bells in 283 AC.

12 hours ago, Widow's Watch said:

I have a quick timeline question. The wiki says that the Battle of the Bells happened in 283. Was this from an SSM?

1 hour ago, zionius said:

To add to this, we can further determine it's placement in the years using the namedays we sort of know how to place in the year, how they relate to each other, and the Battle of the Bells. Daenerys's nameday falls near the middle of the year, and Jon's "close to eight or nine months" before, so in the final months of the year. Robb's is supposed to fall before Jon, as his conception is said to have occurred first, but falls nine months after Catelyn's wedding, which occurred shortly after the Bells. With Jon's falling near the end of the war, based on Dany having been born nine months after fleeing KL, and the amount of war that already happened before the Battle of the Bells, we can place the Bells at the end of 282 AC/early 283 AC. With Jon Connington's statement of it having been 17 years since the battle by mid 300 AC,  283 has the better argumentation.

Thank you @zionius and @Rhaenys_Targaryen. I had completely forgotten about the 17 years.

2 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

To add to this, we can further determine it's placement in the years using the namedays we sort of know how to place in the year, how they relate to each other, and the Battle of the Bells. Daenerys's nameday falls near the middle of the year, and Jon's "close to eight or nine months" before, so in the final months of the year. Robb's is supposed to fall before Jon, as his conception is said to have occurred first, but falls nine months after Catelyn's wedding, which occurred shortly after the Bells. With Jon's falling near the end of the war, based on Dany having been born nine months after fleeing KL, and the amount of war that already happened before the Battle of the Bells, we can place the Bells at the end of 282 AC/early 283 AC. With Jon Connington's statement of it having been 17 years since the battle by mid 300 AC,  283 has the better argumentation.

This is what I was trying to work out. 

Hello:  I'm on a re-read and have decided to question everything:

Can someone list/summarize the throries as to why Gared did't just return to Castle Black after the disasterous ranging of Ser Waymar Royce?

(i ask small questions because i'm sure this has been discussed previous and the searches i have performed do not turn up any useful results - thanks!)

2 hours ago, Yaya said:

Hello:  I'm on a re-read and have decided to question everything:

Can someone list/summarize the throries as to why Gared did't just return to Castle Black after the disasterous ranging of Ser Waymar Royce?

(i ask small questions because i'm sure this has been discussed previous and the searches i have performed do not turn up any useful results - thanks!)

Other than he's scared out of his mind,scared of being sent out ranging again and therefore heading as far south as he can,I would see it as a necessary plot device.

19 hours ago, redriver said:

Other than he's scared out of his mind,scared of being sent out ranging again and therefore heading as far south as he can,I would see it as a necessary plot device.

It might actually be that he judged the Old Bear for not competent/important enough to deal with the threat of the Others. Going straight to the Warden of the North who also happens to be one of the best friends of the king makes a lot of sense in this scenario.

And we actually do not know how mad Gared was, nor what he lived through/witnessed during his flight back to the Wall. It doesn't seem likely the Others wanted him to escape.

There is no actual confirmation that the man was actually mad of fear, etc. He could have been afraid but still pretty sane, trying to get his message across but being judged as a lunatic and turncloak by Ned because he couldn't bring himself to believe that kind of fairy-tale the man was trying to sell.

It may also be that this kind of story was heard often among the lords of the North when some deserter was trying to justify his actions.

8 minutes ago, Raisin' Bran said:

What happened to the avatars of some of the board members? It only shows a letter corresponding to the first letter of their board name.

Users who did not set a profile image now get one based on their name as a way to further differentiate people a bit. Once you set an image, you're golden. 

1 minute ago, Ran said:

Users who did not set a profile image now get one based on their name as a way to further differentiate people a bit. Once you set an image, you're golden. 

So you are saying Redriver above, does not have a profile image? Yet 24 hours ago the avatar showed the abdomen of a wasp (or some other winged, yellow, striped, stinging insect).  

Additionally, many other long-time users with thousands of posts, now are showing the same. Did they all happen to delete their avatar images within the same short time period?

4 minutes ago, Ran said:

Some people lost their images and have a letter now. I am not one of them though, I didn't have a picture.

4 minutes ago, Raisin' Bran said:

So you are saying Redriver above, does not have a profile image? Yet 24 hours ago the avatar showed the abdomen of a wasp (or some other winged, yellow, striped, stinging insect).  

Additionally, many other long-time users with thousands of posts, now are showing the same. Did they all happen to delete their avatar images within the same short time period?

As to those who lost their avatars, I don't really know what happened, but they are welcome to upload a profile image again.

Archived