Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

On 5/5/2018 at 4:46 PM, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

The War of the Five Kings was a battle over dominion over parts of the Seven Kingdoms. The lands north off the Wall are not part of the Seven Kingdoms, and he was not battling for dominion over (part of) the kingdom.

so if he would star fighting for the north/ northern north in twow he would be counted right?

1 hour ago, Euron Lannister said:

so if he would star fighting for the north/ northern north in twow he would be counted right?

Possibly. But not necessarily. All the other kings were in battle against the IT, that was the factor uniting them all. So who would Mance be fighting? Additionally, one could argue that it would no longer be the War of the Five Kings, if a sixth king gets involved. :)  Furthermore, the War of the Five Kings is considered to be at its end. 

I suppose it would mostly depend on how the maesters would categorize it. Is it the second part of the already existing conflict, or is it a new conflict, with several "players" overlapping? I would currently guess for the latter.

2 minutes ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

So who would Mance be fighting?

if he fights to controll the north likely against the boltons and the IT or stannis, depends on who wins their clash

3 minutes ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Additionally, one could argue that it would no longer be the War of the Five Kings, if a sixth king gets involved. :)

yes, but there is this also this balon-renly gab, so there were never 5 kings at the same time, only if mance is counted afterwards.

and atm there are also only 4 kings, stannis, tommen, euron and aegon

5 minutes ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Furthermore, the War of the Five Kings is considered to be at its end. 

is it? only most of the kings were replaced by their heirs, kingsmootwinners or completely new claimants.

the wiki calls it phase 2, which is currently the best categorization imo.

9 minutes ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

I suppose it would mostly depend on how the maesters would categorize it.

true, after all, almost every categorization depends on the one who categorize it. even in our world :)

11 minutes ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Is it the second part of the already existing conflict, or is it a new conflict, with several "players" overlapping? I would currently guess for the latter. 

i think its the former. after all not just the plyers overlap, but the events and campains are caused by each other.

aegon's landing only worked because the realm was shattered due to the war, and every other current king continued the wars, battles and fights of his predecessor.

let's see what the maesters think, if there are some left in the end :)

7 minutes ago, Euron Lannister said:

if he fights to controll the north likely against the boltons and the IT or stannis, depends on who wins their clash

And yet, Mance has never expressed the desire of ruling the north, so why would he fight for control over the region?

9 minutes ago, Euron Lannister said:

yes, but there is this also this balon-renly gab, so there were never 5 kings at the same time, only if mance is counted afterwards.

and atm there are also only 4 kings, stannis, tommen, euron and aegon

There are only three kings; Aegon has not yet been crowned.

And the fact that Renly died before Balon declared himself is known to the maesters... It just has not stopped them from naming the war as they have :)

10 minutes ago, Euron Lannister said:

is it? only most of the kings were replaced by their heirs, kingsmootwinners or completely new claimants.

The people in Westeros consider it such.

The struggle that the maesters were calling the War of the Five Kings was all but at an end. (ASOS, Tyrion 8)

Ask Edmure how chivalrous I am, thought Jaime. Ask him about the trebuchet. Somehow he did not think the maesters were like to confuse him with Prince Aemon the Dragonknight when they wrote their histories. Still, he felt curiously content. The war was all but won. Dragonstone had fallen and Storm's End would soon enough, he could not doubt, and Stannis was welcome to the Wall. The northmen would love him no more than the storm lords had. If Roose Bolton did not destroy him, winter would. (AFFC, Jaime 7)

Rhaegar Frey went on. "Grief and death, aye … and this onion lord will bring you more with his talk of vengeance. Open your eyes, as my lord grandsire did. The War of the Five Kings is all but done. Tommen is our king, our only king. We must help him bind up the wounds of this sad war. As Robert's trueborn son, the heir of stag and lion, the Iron Throne is his by rights." (ADWD, Davos 3)

10 minutes ago, Euron Lannister said:

the wiki calls it phase 2, which is currently the best categorization imo.

The wiki calls it phase 2, because the new struggles have no uniting name yet :)

15 minutes ago, Euron Lannister said:

i think its the former. after all not just the plyers overlap, but the events and campains are caused by each other.

aegon's landing only worked because the realm was shattered due to the war, and every other current king continued the wars, battles and fights of his predecessor.

let's see what the maesters think, if there are some left in the end :)

That they are caused by one another (or, perhaps a better description, because the circumstances created by the first war gave rise to the opportunities of the new struggles to succeed), does not mean they are counted as being part of the same big struggle, though.

Aegon's campaign is a completely new one. The only part associated to the War of the Five Kings is its timing. Euron has discontinued Balon's desire for independence, and has set his sights on the IT. Renly and Robb have no successors.

Let's hope some maesters survive. :-)

16 minutes ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

And yet, Mance has never expressed the desire of ruling the north, so why would he fight for control over the region?

to have a place south of the wall and no non-wildling king who tells them what to do.

its all speculative

18 minutes ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

There are only three kings; Aegon has not yet been crowned.

right, i always forget about this  ':D

26 minutes ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

The people in Westeros consider it such.

for the ones who said this it was almost done, but stannis campain is still running and maybe he will win winterfell.

btw.: doesn't the phrase "all but done" means it's not done yet? english is no my mothertongue sorry

29 minutes ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

The wiki calls it phase 2, because the new struggles have no uniting name yet :)

maybe they will never get one, as i said for most of the conflics its the second king who continued fighting. one aegon is new and not a king yet :)

32 minutes ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Aegon's campaign is a completely new one. The only part associated to the War of the Five Kings is its timing.

true, although new factions entering a war doesn't make it automatically a new conflict, nor does it the opposite, as always it depends on the one how it plays out and how it will be written down. :)

36 minutes ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Euron has discontinued Balon's desire for independence, and has set his sights on the IT.

he changed his motive but continued the war, like robb did after he was crowned.

36 minutes ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Robb have no successors.

this might change in twow, rickon could show up again, jon could violate his vows and backstab stannis, if he should survive, sansa could start a campain.

40 minutes ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Renly have no successors

technically stannis is his sucessor, as he took big parts of his force and his castle, and was his heir anyways.

46 minutes ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Let's hope some maesters survive. :-)

Yes, someone needs to clarify this :D

You might not be thanking me if you follow that link! :D

I read it a while ago. I had forgotten about it. I just read it again, along with some of the responses.

Without getting into it too much here, I have mentally placed it into the "plausible speculation'' category in my head. With a special note next to it because it was originated by a credible source. :thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

Are there any threads on Rosy? Specifically on her role as the go between for Pate and the Alchemist? 

None that I've ever seen... 

Hello All,

I discovered a difference between the hardcopy text in TWOIAF and what asearchoficeandfire says, which makes me wonder 1) which version is correct (my copy of TWOIAF or the website), and 2) perhaps, more importantly, what other differences between the two are floating out there.

Here is what I found.  In the section on the Stormlands: House Baratheon (page 231 of TWOIAF, first line of the page) it reads "In 283, at the ford of the Trident, Robert Baratheon slew Rhaegar Targaryen, Prince of Dragonstone, and shattered his host, effectively ending three centuries of rule by the House of the Dragon."   The asearchoficeandfire website, however, shows 282 not 283 in that sentence. 

I know the one number difference may not be huge, (and, yes, I think 283 is the correct year) but I think many of us rely upon the site for quick search/reference and it shook my confidence in the site some.

Can anyone shed some light or comment on this? 

Thanks much.

16 minutes ago, The Hidden Dragon said:

Hello All,

I discovered a difference between the hardcopy text in TWOIAF and what asearchoficeandfire says, which makes me wonder 1) which version is correct (my copy of TWOIAF or the website), and 2) perhaps, more importantly, what other differences between the two are floating out there.

Here is what I found.  In the section on the Stormlands: House Baratheon (page 231 of TWOIAF, first line of the page) it reads "In 283, at the ford of the Trident, Robert Baratheon slew Rhaegar Targaryen, Prince of Dragonstone, and shattered his host, effectively ending three centuries of rule by the House of the Dragon."   The asearchoficeandfire website, however, shows 282 not 283 in that sentence. 

I know the one number difference may not be huge, (and, yes, I think 283 is the correct year) but I think many of us rely upon the site for quick search/reference and it shook my confidence in the site some.

Can anyone shed some light or comment on this? 

Thanks much.

My TWoIaF e-book says 282.

“When the madness of King Aerys II became too much to be borne, it was to Lord Robert that the lords of the realm turned. In 282 AC, at the ford of the Trident, Robert Baratheon slew Rhaegar Targaryen, Prince of Dragonstone, and shattered his host, effectively ending three centuries of rule by the House of the Dragon. Soon thereafter he ascended the Iron Throne himself as Robert I Baratheon, the progenitor of a glorious new dynasty.”

Now, I had it on pre-order. Maybe it's a mistake that was later fixed for later editions and the search of I&F website didn't correct it accordingly?

Also, you may find the thread linked below interesting...

Archived