Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

I think somewhere on his NAB when he was asked about the appendices. But it is pretty obvious that he doesn't do that - or at least no longer does that (he would have provided the information on the Targaryen kings back and all the houses and their history back in AGoT, of course) anymore, considering the glaring mistakes in the appendix of ADwD - which has Cersei's council wrong, the new High Septon wrong, the title of Jon Connington wrong, etc.

Those are not the kind of mistakes George would do when the fact of Qyburn no longer being on the council, say, is a considerable plot point in Cersei's chapters in AFfC/ADwD.

3 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

George has gone on record stating that he doesn't draw up the appendices. If they are at odds with the novels (and there are no errors in the text of the novels at that point) they are correct, not the appendices.

11 minutes ago, Nittanian said:

Interesting, do you recall where/when he said that?

The NaB post below seems to indicate that he does write them.

That's the way it goes with books. You finish, and breathe a sigh of relief... and then you get back to work. There's always more to be done. Your editor reads it and gives you notes. You make revisions, corrections. A copyeditor goes over the text, finds errors, points out contradictions and inconsistencies, raises queries. You fix some, stet others. Friends and fans gulp down the book, and find mistakes your editors, copyeditors, and proofreaders all missed. You fix those too, as time allows. Then there's the appendix to prepare. And then the appendix needs to be edited, proofread, corrected... and on and on it goes...

But now even that is behind me. Copyediting, appendix, proofs, corrections, all that stuff. The book tour has been planned (a few details yet to be worked out), the marketing plans are in place... and I can finally say that Kong is not just merely dead, but really most sincerely dead.

6 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

The NaB post below seems to indicate that he does write them.

That's the way it goes with books. You finish, and breathe a sigh of relief... and then you get back to work. There's always more to be done. Your editor reads it and gives you notes. You make revisions, corrections. A copyeditor goes over the text, finds errors, points out contradictions and inconsistencies, raises queries. You fix some, stet others. Friends and fans gulp down the book, and find mistakes your editors, copyeditors, and proofreaders all missed. You fix those too, as time allows. Then there's the appendix to prepare. And then the appendix needs to be edited, proofread, corrected... and on and on it goes...

He doesn't say he prepares it, though, or does he? Somebody does that, somebody else likely proofreads it, etc. 

It might be that George gave the some of the appendix text (for instance, the one for the new 'House Baratheon' and 'House Hightower' appendix in ADwD and AFfC) but I really wouldn't see him wasting hours and hours and hours (drawing up such appendices is tedious and time-consuming work) on doing that if somebody else reading the manuscript of the book can do that just as well even if I hadn't read him saying that he doesn't do that.

Basically those appendices are just lists of (important) people that show up in the book.

41 minutes ago, Switzeran said:

I'm pretty sure George does create the appendices himself.

Really? I really think I recall him not making them. Whether that's true for all of them (or everything in them) I don't know. Any new information should come from him, of course.

8 hours ago, Pride of Driftmark said:

Is it purposeful irony that Arianne disparages Anders Yronwood as "Criston Cole Reborn" in "The Soiled Knight", while her first chapter is called "The Queenmaker"?

I'd hope so, its a nice catch.

Is Kingdoms of the Ifeqevron in LOIAF an error? In TWOIAF & the App it's Kingdom of the Ifequevron.

How many children did Marla Prester have? 3 sons & 3 daughters (TWOIAF Appendix) or 2 sons & 3 daughters (The Westerlands Sample)? 

"But such a battle!" said Theon Greyjoy eagerly. "My lady, the realm has not seen such a victory since the Field of Fire. I vow, the Lannisters lost ten men for every one of ours that fell. We've taken close to a hundred knights captive, and a dozen lords bannermen. Lord Westerling, Lord Banefort, Ser Garth Greenfield, Lord Estren, Ser Tytos Brax, Mallor the Dornishman … and three Lannisters besides Jaime, Lord Tywin's own nephews, two of his sister's sons and one of his dead brother's …" (AGOT Catelyn X)

Isn't "one of his dead brother's" wrong? Willem Lannister is captured in the Whispering Wood, but he is a son of the living Kevan. Tyrek is the son of the late Tygett Lannister, but Tyrek is still in King's Landing at this time. Tywin's other brother was Gerion, but he only had a bastard daughter, Joy Hill. 

1 hour ago, Nittanian said:

Isn't "one of his dead brother's" wrong? Willem Lannister is captured in the Whispering Wood, but he is a son of the living Kevan. Tyrek is the son of the late Tygett Lannister, but Tyrek is still in King's Landing at this time. Tywin's other brother was Gerion, but he only had a bastard daughter, Joy Hill. 

He would not be the first to make such a mistake:

"Cousins. Sons of Lord Tywin's brother. One of the dead ones. Or perhaps the live one, now that I come to think on it. I don't recall. My wife comes from a very large family, Ned."

AGOT Eddard VII

Doing a reread of AGOT for the first time since before AFFC, and noticed when Catelyn visits Ned at the heart tree that she tells Ned that Rickon is unsure of the dire wolf pups.  Ned replies that he must face his fears, that Winter is Coming.  Is that the gist of their family motto, face your fear?

5 hours ago, King Ned Stark said:

Doing a reread of AGOT for the first time since before AFFC, and noticed when Catelyn visits Ned at the heart tree that she tells Ned that Rickon is unsure of the dire wolf pups.  Ned replies that he must face his fears, that Winter is Coming.  Is that the gist of their family motto, face your fear?

Could be, but I read it as meaning a bit more - namely, that no matter how bad things are now, things are going to get worse and its best to be aware of that fact and prepared for it - toughen up, or die.

In the example you give, I'd say Ned is saying something akin to "he must face his fears, things are only going to get worse, he needs to be strong BECAUSE Winter is Coming". Facing your fears is certainly part of it, but I just always got the sense its more than that.

9 hours ago, Sea Dragon said:

Where did the citadel and maestros come from? Like, I know the faith of the seven is an Andal religion from Essos, but what about the maesters?

From the wiki:

Although the origin of the Citadel is disputed, the Hightowers are considered to have been instrumental in its founding,[45] as most accounts credit its foundation to Prince Peremore the Twisted, the second son of King Uthor of the High Tower. The curious Peremore invited numerous scholars, including wise men, teachers, priests, healers, singers, wizards, alchemists, and sorcerors, to Oldtown. After Peremore's death, his brother, King Urrigon, granted land alongside the Honeywine to "Peremore's pets", who developed the tract into the maesters' Citadel.[20]

On 6/25/2018 at 3:04 PM, Lord Varys said:

Those are not the kind of mistakes George would do when the fact of Qyburn no longer being on the council, say, is a considerable plot point in Cersei's chapters in AFfC/ADwD

You mean because he is still listed as a small council member in the adwd appendix? Because as of the last chapter of affc, he is still on the small council. He as been dismissed by Cersei's first chapter in adwd, if I recall correctly. So the appendix is not wrong in that aspect, necessarily. It represents the reader's most recent knowledge  at the start of the book.

1 minute ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

You mean because he is still listed as a small council member in the adwd appendix? Because as of the last chapter of affc, he is still on the small council. He as been dismissed by Cersei's first chapter in adwd, if I recall correctly. So the appendix is not wrong in that aspect, necessarily. It represents the reader's most recent knowledge  at the start of the book.

Nope, Qyburn reports to Cersei that he is no longer a member of the Small Council in the last Cersei chapter of AFfC, not in the first chapter of ADwD. Qyburn is still Master of Whisperers, of course, but not on the Small Council.

In addition, the appendix gets a lot of the men wrong who actually are on King Tommen's new Small Council. It correctly lists the Lord Regent and the Hand of the King, but omits Randyll Tarly as Master of Laws, a most grievous oversight considering that Tarly features rather prominently in the Epilogue and is mentioned repeatedly during the Cersei chapters (unlike Paxter Redwyne who is correctly listed as Master of Ships despite the fact that he never shows up in the entire book). Ser Harys Swyft, the Master of Coin, is not mentioned at all (another figure who actually appears in the novel).

The list of Cersei's previous Small Council is even more erroneous. It correctly lists the late Gyles Rosby as the former Master of Coin but refuses to mention Ser Harys as Rosby's successor (who was appointed by Cersei and retained by Ser Kevan). Orton Merryweather features as Master of Laws and Hand, but it is not mentioned that he succeeded Swyft as Hand (who was dismissed as Hand by Cersei when she cooked up the Margaery plan, causing her to use Swyft to replace the late Lord Gyles as Master of Coin). Also, Qyburn should have been listed as a member of Cersei's council while being not mentioned on Tommen's council (the proper way to mark his status would have been to omit him from Tommen's council but have his entry in Cersei's council mention that he had been dismissed from the council after Cersei's arrest while being allowed to fulfill the other duties of the Master of Whisperers for the time being). Pycelle, too, should have been mentioned as serving both on Tommen's and Cersei's council. And the same goes for Jaime.

Nobody said anything about the need of Cersei's old Small Council being listed in the appendix, but if you do that you better do it correctly.

The High Sparrow doesn't feature in the appendix, either, 'an old man and frail' was the description of his predecessor in the AFfC appendix and is, obviously, no fitting description for the new High Septon.

The new Lord Commander of the City Watch, Humfrey Waters, could have been mentioned, too, along with some other people who are still in the city.

Regardless who made that appendix - George, his editors, other people - they did a rather poor job. Which is more the pity considering that 'The Boy King' section is one of the few completely new appendices in ADwD. One consults those things only when one loses track of a character. But when you want to know what kind of office Tarly or Swyft hold right now - or who succeeded Osfryd Kettleblack as Lord Commander of the City Watch - then you better not look in the official appendix of ADwD.

Do we have any idea of how the Riverlords find out about the events of the Red Wedding?

Was there some proclamation sent out by the Freys and/or Lannisters or did they only find out when the Frey/Lannister armies arrived demanding their surrender?

I'd imagine at least some escapees may have been able to get the word out but was there an official announcement that we know of?

3 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Did Tywin have Tyrion's marriage to Tysha annulled? 

Tyrion X, CoK

..."To drive the lesson home, Lord Tywin gave my wife to a barracks of his guardsmen to use as they pleased, and commanded me to watch." And to take her one last time, after the rest were done. One last time, with no trace of love or tenderness remaining. "So you will remember her as she truly is," he said, and I should have defied him, but my cock betrayed me, and I did as I was bid. "After he was done with her, my father had the marriage undone. It was as if we had never been wed, the septons said." He squeezed her hand...

If a faceless man dies while wearing someone else's face, will the glamour still hold? When people look on their dead body what would they see? I suppose this could be applied to all glamour, but the faces is a particularly odd situation 

Archived