Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

1 hour ago, LemonyLemony said:

If a faceless man dies while wearing someone else's face, will the glamour still hold? When people look on their dead body what would they see? I suppose this could be applied to all glamour, but the faces is a particularly odd situation 

What the FM do when they change their faces is not a glamour, as the KM tells Arya. They know how to work glamours as well, but they do "goes deeper"...

ADwD, The Ugly Little Girl

“Mummers change their faces with artifice,” the kindly man was saying, “and sorcerers use glamors, weaving light and shadow and desire to make illusions that trick the eye. These arts you shall learn, but what we do here goes deeper. Wise men can see through artifice, and glamors dissolve before sharp eyes, but the face you are about to don will be as true and solid as that face you were born with. Keep your eyes closed.” She felt his fingers brushing back her hair. “Stay still. This will feel queer. You may be dizzy, but you must not move.”

And to answer your question about what happens when a FM dies wearing someone else's face, given he last underlined bit above, I'd say they will still look like they did when they died. Meaning, I don't think they'd return to their own faces. 

Can someone help me with something? I'm looking for a blog post that I think someone from here linked me to before, that had like a timeline of things leading up to dance, such as ''jan 2010 grrm said this'' and so forth, and what we know about winds so far. I have no ideia what it  was called but it was pretty thorough.

edit: Nevermind, I found it :)

“He won’t hurt me. This is not the day I die.” The male walked toward them, unafraid,
and reached out for his muzzle, a touch as light as a summer breeze. Yet at the brush of those
fingers the wood dissolved and the very ground turned to smoke beneath his feet and swirled
away laughing, and then he was spinning and falling, falling, falling. . .

This is the last paragraph from GOT chapter 21 . (Bran's POV).

What exactly did Jojen do to Summer while Bran was warging it?

4 hours ago, ApostolinO said:

This is the last paragraph from GOT chapter 21 . (Bran's POV).

What exactly did Jojen do to Summer while Bran was warging it?

I think he just it pet him, and then Bran was no longer warging the beast. 

Lord Tywin turned his host at once, joined up with Matthis Rowan and Randyll Tarly near the headwaters of the Blackwater, and made a forced march to Tumbler's Falls, where he found Mace Tyrell and two of his sons waiting with a huge host and a fleet of barges. They floated down the river, disembarked half a day's ride from the city, and took Stannis in the rear

How did Mace bring his ships from Bitterbridge in Mander to Tumbler's Falls in Blackwater?

I'd say they built the barges on site from woods nearby...

Can someone, please, check for me information from The World Book?

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Jaime_Lannister

This is what is written in ASOIAF-wikia:

1. Jaime was born in 266 AC, as the first-born son of Ser Tywin Lannister, the heir to Casterly Rock, and his wife, Lady Joanna.[4][5]
  2. In 276 AC, when Jaime was ten years old, Lord Tywin hosted a tourney to celebrate the birth of young Prince Viserys Targaryen. During this tourney, Tywin suggested to King Aerys that Jaime could squire for Rhaegar Targaryen, Prince of Dragonstone, but Aerys refused and named the sons of other lords to the position instead.[4]

[4] is The Targaryen Kings: Aerys II.

[5] is The Westerlands: House Lannister Under the Dragons.

What exactly is written in The World of Ice & Fire, about those two events - 1 & 2. Is it specifically written there "266" and "276"?

Is exact year of Jaime's birth, specified anywhere in the World Book?

26 minutes ago, Megorova said:

1. Jaime was born in 266 AC, as the first-born son of Ser Tywin Lannister, the heir to Casterly Rock, and his wife, Lady Joanna.[4][5]
  2. In 276 AC, when Jaime was ten years old, Lord Tywin hosted a tourney to celebrate the birth of young Prince Viserys Targaryen. During this tourney, Tywin suggested to King Aerys that Jaime could squire for Rhaegar Targaryen, Prince of Dragonstone, but Aerys refused and named the sons of other lords to the position instead.[4]

What exactly is written in The World of Ice & Fire, about those two events - 1 & 2. Is it specifically written there "266" and "276"?

Jaime's birth:

“What Tywin Lannister made of this is not recorded, but in 266 AC, at Casterly Rock, Lady Joanna gave birth to a pair of twins, a girl and a boy, “healthy and beautiful, with hair like beaten gold.”

And Viserys':

“His Grace’s new fidelity was apparently pleasing to the Mother Above, it must be said, for the following year, Queen Rhaella gave the king the second son that he had prayed for. Prince Viserys, born in 276 AC, was small but robust, and as beautiful a child as King’s Landing had ever seen. Though Prince Rhaegar at seventeen was everything that could be wanted in an heir apparent, all Westeros rejoiced to know that at last he had a brother, another Targaryen to secure the succession.”

21 minutes ago, Megorova said:

"What Tywin Lannister made of this is not recorded, but in 266 AC, at Casterly Rock, Lady Joanna gave birth to a pair of twins, a girl and a boy, "healthy and beautiful, with hair like beaten gold." This birth only exacerbated the tension between Aerys II Targaryen and his Hand. "I appear to have married the wrong woman," His Grace was reported to have said, when informed of the happy event. Nonetheless, he sent each child its weight in gold as a nameday gift and commanded Tywin to bring them to court when they were old enough to travel. "And bring their mother, too, for it has been too long since I gazed upon that fair face," he insisted." (TWOIAF - The Targaryen Kings: Aerys II)

"His Grace's new fidelity was apparently pleasing to the Mother Above, it must be said, for the following year, Queen Rhaella gave the king the second son that he had prayed for. Prince Viserys, born in 276 AC, was small but robust, and as beautiful a child as King's Landing had ever seen. Though Prince Rhaegar at seventeen was everything that could be wanted in an heir apparent, all Westeros rejoiced to know that at last he had a brother, another Targaryen to secure the succession...
Later that same year, Lord Tywin Lannister, perhaps unwisely, held a great tournament at Lannisport in honor of Viserys's birth. Mayhaps it was meant to be a gesture toward reconciliation. There the wealth and power of House Lannister was displayed for all the realm to see. King Aerys at first refused to attend, then relented, but the queen and her new son were kept under confinement back at King's Landing. There, seated on his throne amongst hundreds of notables in the shadow of Casterly Rock, the king cheered lustily as his son Prince Rhaegar, newly knighted, unhorsed both Tygett and Gerion Lannister, and even overcame the gallant Ser Barristan Selmy, before falling in the champion's tilt to the renowned Kingsguard knight Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning.
Perhaps seeking to gain advantage of His Grace's high spirits, Lord Tywin chose that very night to suggest that it was past time the king's heir wed and produced an heir of his own; he proposed his own daughter, Cersei, as wife for the crown prince. Aerys II rejected this proposal brusquely, informing Lord Tywin that he was a good and valuable servant, yet a servant nonetheless. Nor did His Grace agree to appoint Lord Tywin's son Jaime as squire to Prince Rhaegar; that honor he granted instead to the sons of several of his own favorites, men known to be no friends of House Lannister or the Hand."
(TWOIAF - The Targaryen Kings: Aerys II)

In ASoS, in Jaime 4, Roose mentions that Lord Karstark is dead. But in Jaime 5, Roose talks of having to consider Lord Karstark's offer for Jaime's head.

Mistake or Roose just muddying the waters, trying to confuse Brienne while talking behind his hand with Jaime?

22 minutes ago, Ser Leftwich said:

In ASoS, in Jaime 4, Roose mentions that Lord Karstark is dead. But in Jaime 5, Roose talks of having to consider Lord Karstark's offer for Jaime's head.

Mistake or Roose just muddying the waters, trying to confuse Brienne while talking behind his hand with Jaime?

At that point Harrion was to become the new Lord Karstark and it seems his father offer for Jamie's head still standed. Roose had already sent him to the Duskendale trap, but Jamie didn't know about that.

9 minutes ago, Tucu said:

At that point Harrion was to become the new Lord Karstark and it seems his father offer for Jamie's head still standed. Roose had already sent him to the Duskendale trap, but Jamie didn't know about that.

Roose explicitly says in Jaime 5, “Ten thousand dragons is a formidable sum. Of course, there is Lord Karstark’s offer to consider as well. He promises the hand of his daughter to the man who brings him your head.”  

Roose is not referring to Harrion, he is referring to Rickard.

2 minutes ago, Ser Leftwich said:

Roose explicitly says in Jaime 5, “Ten thousand dragons is a formidable sum. Of course, there is Lord Karstark’s offer to consider as well. He promises the hand of his daughter to the man who brings him your head.”  

Roose is not referring to Harrion, he is referring to Rickard.

He immediately continues with this:

“Leave it to your goat to get it backward,” said Jaime. Bolton gave a soft chuckle. “Harrion Karstark was captive here when we took the castle, did you know? I gave him all the Karhold men still with me and sent him off with Glover. I do hope nothing ill befell him at Duskendale . . . else Alys Karstark would be all that remains of Lord Rickard’s progeny.” He chose another prune. “Fortunately for you, I have no need of a wife. I wed the Lady Walda Frey whilst I was at the Twins.”

He also mentions how Robb lost the Karstarks. I don't think it is a mistake, just an expression showing that Rickard's offer was still valid.

On 7/19/2018 at 1:03 AM, Ser Leftwich said:

Has GRRM said anything about not allowing flashback POVs in the Prologue or Epilogue?  (I think I remember something like that, but my brain is fuzzy.)

The only relevant content I saw was in two Not A Blog posts he said the flashbacks in ADWD Prologue was pretty hard to write. You can go over the following thread to find the two dates of GRRM reading the prologue, then find the two NAB posts I'm referring to.

17 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Can the thread titled, The Execution of Janos Sylnt was Personal  blah blah, carry on to a v2? I thought it was right interesting.

Everyone can start a new thread. If the thread was closed for length, and the original poster of the thread does not start a new one, you can always start one yourself, and link the original discussion in the first post of the thread.

4 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Everyone can start a new thread. If the thread was closed for length, and the original poster of the thread does not start a new one, you can always start one yourself, and link the original discussion in the first post of the thread.

Thanks for sharing the information. U B 1 of the bestest.

Shortly after my question an amiable poster continued thread. :thumbsup:

Archived