Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

56 minutes ago, Crona said:

I got a question that I was wondering.

do we actually see a white walker pick up one of Craster’s sons in the text? Or were they just saying that the White Walkers pick them up?

We only get Gillie's word that they are left out, (I don't have means to quote now.) we have no in text interaction of any of Craster's sons with anyone, once they were left out.

18 minutes ago, Ser Leftwich said:

We only get Gillie's word that they are left out, (I don't have means to quote now.) we have no in text interaction of any of Craster's sons with anyone, once they were left out.

Ah thanks, I wasn’t sure of it!

On 2/5/2018 at 9:17 PM, Ser Not Appearing said:

It's it explicitly explained why Areo stayed in Dorne and is devoted to Doran instead of returning with Mellario and being devoted to her?

Background thoughts:

Even entering the service of House Martel, it strikes me as odd that he wouldn't be a default assumption to go with her "on behalf" of the Martels but also just because he was hers and why would that change? Especially given that there wasn't peace in that marriage and psychology suggests he'd side with her (yes, serve & obey ... protect... but who?) and that would be a barrier.

I'm thinking there should... or would be, if it was explicitly addressed... a stray thought or two of his that would indicate a rift or - ... something.

This is pretty old but if I'm not mistaken Areo would be a slave in Norvos, which might be why he chose to stay behind. 

A quick question about inheritance.

After the deaths of Ser Raymun Darry and his son, Darry went to Mariya Darry. Then the Lannisters decided to bestow the castle upon Lancel by marrying him to Ami. So here's my hiccup with this. Ami has a brother who was fostered at Winterfell, and all of this happens before he is killed in ADWD.

What gives? I feel like I missed something.

19 hours ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

A quick question about inheritance.

After the deaths of Ser Raymun Darry and his son, Darry went to Mariya Darry. Then the Lannisters decided to bestow the castle upon Lancel by marrying him to Ami. So here's my hiccup with this. Ami has a brother who was fostered at Winterfell, and all of this happens before he is killed in ADWD.

What gives? I feel like I missed something.

The castle wasn't passed on through inheritance, but by royal decree. The Throne (the Lannisters) seized it, and wanted to give it to one of their own. But in order to make Lancel's claim stronger, to make the people of Darry more accepting of him, they (or better said, Kevan) married him to someone who has a claim to the castle through her heritage. Lancel explains it himself:

A gloomy  look  passed  across  the  young  knight’s  ravaged  face.  “A  Frey  girl,  and  not  of  my choosing.  She  is  not  even  maiden.  A  widow,  of  Darry  blood.  My  father  says  that  will  help  me with  the peasants,  but  the peasants  are all  dead.” He reached  for  her  hand.  “It  is  cruel,  Cersei. Your  Grace knows  that  I  love—”   (AFFC, Cersei 2)

And Jaime later explains it further:

As  he waited  for  a response  from  the castle,  Jaime eyed  the  banner  floating  brown  and crimson  above  his  cousin’s  barbican.  Lancel  had taken  to quartering the  lion  of  Lannister  with the Darry  plowman,  it  would  seem.  He saw  his  uncle’s  hand  in that,  as  in Lancel’s  choice  of bride.  House Darry  had  ruled  these  lands  since the Andals  cast  down  the First  Men.  No  doubt  Ser Kevan  realized  that  his  son  would  have an  easier  time of  it  if  the peasants  saw  him  as  a continuation of  the  old  line,  holding  these  lands  by  right  of  marriage  rather  than  royal  decree. Kevan should  be  Tommen’s  Hand.  Harys  Swyft  is  a  toad,  and  my sister  is  a  fool  if  she  thinks elsewise.   The castle gates  swung  open  slowly. (AFFC, Jaime 4)

Did GRRM change his mind between Game of Thrones and Storm of Swords on when Brandon Stark died?  In Game of Thrones, Ned says he and Robert rode out to "win a throne" fifteen years prior.  Catelyn says the war lasted a year.  And Littlefinger says that Brandon "has been moldering in his frozen grave for some fourteen years now." Taken together, that implies that Brandon died at the end of the rebellion.  But in Storm of Swords, Jaime says that Brandon died before the rebellion started.  Any thoughts on how to reconcile this apparent discrepancy?

3 hours ago, The Twinslayer said:

Did GRRM change his mind between Game of Thrones and Storm of Swords on when Brandon Stark died?  In Game of Thrones, Ned says he and Robert rode out to "win a throne" fifteen years prior.  Catelyn says the war lasted a year.  And Littlefinger says that Brandon "has been moldering in his frozen grave for some fourteen years now." Taken together, that implies that Brandon died at the end of the rebellion.  But in Storm of Swords, Jaime says that Brandon died before the rebellion started.  Any thoughts on how to reconcile this apparent discrepancy?

Due to the use of the word "some", given its definitions, I always read Baelish's statement to mean "about fourteen years", a statement which would be correct even if the exact amount of time is fifteen years.

13 hours ago, The Twinslayer said:

They probably didn't get Brandon's body back to the Crypts until the end of the war.

Hello.

I've been a lurker on and off for years. Well I got a few question now. I read that Simon Vance will be narrating Fire and Blood. I generally don't listen to Audiobooks so I wonder if he's any good compared to Ser Roy Dotrice? I tried to listen to The Hedge Knight but the narrator had a terrible American accent. Does SV "act" when he reads like Ser Roy? SV reading Fire and Blood does this indicate that he will take up the microphone left by Ser Roy? 

20 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Due to the use of the word "some", given its definitions, I always read Baelish's statement to mean "about fourteen years", a statement which would be correct even if the exact amount of time is fifteen years.

10 hours ago, kleevedge said:

They probably didn't get Brandon's body back to the Crypts until the end of the war.

Interesting.  Thank you both. 

22 hours ago, Ser Rhoddry of The Hill said:

Hello.

I've been a lurker on and off for years. Well I got a few question now. I read that Simon Vance will be narrating Fire and Blood. I generally don't listen to Audiobooks so I wonder if he's any good compared to Ser Roy Dotrice? I tried to listen to The Hedge Knight but the narrator had a terrible American accent. Does SV "act" when he reads like Ser Roy? SV reading Fire and Blood does this indicate that he will take up the microphone left by Ser Roy? 

No one will ever replace Roy Dotrice, but Simon Vance is an extremely talented voice that has an extensive body of work doing audiobooks. He has been the voice for audiobooks by authors including Dickens, Tolstoy, Dumas, and many other widely read authors. Which tells you that the length the novels and the number of voices he must do is not a problem. In fact, if you got to point where Roy's voicing of children gave them too much of a grizzled old pirate accent, you might prefer Simon Vance's work. I love reading and listening to audiobooks at the same time, and I highly recommend Vance's work. At least give him a try. I have the audiobook on pre-order.

I'm not sure which version of the Hedge Knight you listened to, but the new version that is published under the title of The Knight of the Seven Kingdoms is done by Harry Lloyd - the actor who portrayed Viserys Targaryen on the HBO series, and he is British born. In fact, a descendant of Dickens or so I've read. I don't think you will find his accent too terribly American.

note: given this review of Vance, I should say I'm in no way related to him or get any money for singing his praises.

On 9/13/2018 at 7:49 PM, SFDanny said:

No one will ever replace Roy Dotrice,...

No one will ever replace Roy Dotrice,...

I do agree. He is sorely missed. I'd expect George to pay some sort of homage to him in Winds.

...but Simon Vance is an extremely talented voice that has an extensive body of work doing audiobooks. He has been the voice for audiobooks by authors including Dickens, Tolstoy, Dumas, and many other widely read authors. Which tells you that the length the novels and the number of voices he must do is not a problem.

I did what I should have done before asking, I checked Youtube and found Symon Vance reading "V for Vendetta", by Alan Moore. After almost 3 hours of listening I understand your praise. 

Regarding the Hedge Knight I found both Lloyds and the version I was referring to on Youtube. The one I got is read by Frank Muller. I can't stand it, but maybe some do. 

PS I like your added note. ;)

EDIT: First quote appears twice and can't remove it. Something I don't understand...

Why was the reference point of chronology changed from Aegon’s Landing (AL) to Aegon's Conquest (AC)? The change made some claims in the main series invalid:

THE TARGARYEN SUCCESSION dated by years after Aegon’s Landing -AGOT Appendix

The Tower of Ghosts was the most ruinous of Harrenhal’s five immense towers. It stood dark and desolate behind the remains of a collapsed sept where only rats had come to pray for near three hundred years. -ACOK Arya X

However, George used AC in ASOS:

It’s a new century, my lady. The three hundredth year since Aegon’s Conquest. -ASOS Sansa IV

The draft of TWOIAF also used AL for a time, IIRC. 

Why don't we get to see any direwolves north of the Wall? Like, no other warg has one (not even grand pro Varamyr). We see him warg his wolves but they don't meet any direwolves. We see Jon warg Ghost NotW but he never meets any either.

edit: did the Others take them?

On 9/23/2018 at 12:58 AM, Sigella said:

Why don't we get to see any direwolves north of the Wall? Like, no other warg has one (not even grand pro Varamyr). We see him warg his wolves but they don't meet any direwolves. We see Jon warg Ghost NotW but he never meets any either.

Leaf speaking to Bran

"The giants are almost gone as well, they who were our bane and our brothers. The great lions of the western hills have been slain, the unicorns are all but gone, the mammoths down to a few hundred. The direwolves will outlast us all, but their time will come as well. In the world that men have made, there is no room for them, or us.[20]"

This may suggest that there are far fewer direwolves than there used to be, still more than the other animals mentioned but less. I think they are quite rare.

Also, from a literary point of view, I think that having hundreds or thousands of direwolves running around in the story would make the direwolves of the Starks less "special".

On 9/22/2018 at 6:58 PM, Sigella said:

Perhaps they are reserved for Starks. 

On September 12, 2018 at 3:01 PM, Ser Rhoddry of The Hill said:

Hello.

I just googled him and listened to his reading and I think he sounds good. He does seem to "act" as you said, like not just one voice but a few. I don't have the other audiobooks, but maybe I will get them later. 

Archived