Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

8 hours ago, wia said:

So, to our knowledge, did the Red Comet pass the Planetos by and not hit the surface ?

By my understanding of comets (which is quiet poor) I think the people on Planetos would have known if it hit the planet. Mostly by being either dead or experiencing earthquakes, tsunami's, triggered vulcanic activate, a lot of dust ect.

Since we don't see any evidence of this in the narative I think it's save to say that the comet just went on on its orbit past the sun (Sunetos?)

10 hours ago, 2uenten said:

Am I missing any reason for why Ned brought Ice with him to King's Landing? Too big to use for anything but beheadings and making Tywin jealous. (And just why is it so big to begin with, who was it for...) 

It's one of his symbols of authority. Besides if he gave a death sentence as Hand he would need to carry out the sentence.

8 hours ago, Crona said:

How old is Illyrio supposed to be? Like when Varys came to KL after Steffon’s death he and Illyrio were infamous already. I would think he’s older than Ned, maybe he’s around Aerys age?

They both seem to have been quite young when they started their enterprise, maybe teens. Then it would probably take at least 10 years for them to become that famous. So if Varys was invited 278 AC, he was likely born in the late 240’s, making him a few years younger than Aerys would be; and therefore a good 15 years older than Ned.

That’s assuming Illyrio is the same age, he could easily be older, closer to Aerys’ age.

6 hours ago, Darion Storm said:

They both seem to have been quite young when they started their enterprise, maybe teens. Then it would probably take at least 10 years for them to become that famous. So if Varys was invited 278 AC, he was likely born in the late 240’s, making him a few years younger than Aerys would be; and therefore a good 15 years older than Ned.

That’s assuming Illyrio is the same age, he could easily be older, closer to Aerys’ age.

Yea that’s what I was thinking. It seems like Illyrio is probably a few years older than Varys. I think he’s somewhat close to Aerys’ age.

34 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

We are introduced to two branches of House Vance, both of them quartering their arms with a dragon, one with a green one and the other a black, is it because one supported the greens and the other blacks?

If so, it is retroactive. He invented the arms of those houses long before he had come up with the Greens and Blacks.

6 minutes ago, Ran said:

If so, it is retroactive. He invented the arms of those houses long before he had come up with the Greens and Blacks.

So this means all the other branches of Vances, not that we'll ever see them anyway, have a dragon(whatever the color) for their coa, right?  Oh and also, does the dragons(their color) symbolize anything in universe? say like Wayfarer's Watch branch have land extending to Blackwater Rush and Atranta branch being near Greenfork?

2 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

So this means all the other branches of Vances, not that we'll ever see them anyway, have a dragon(whatever the color) for their coa, right?  Oh and also, does the dragons(their color) symbolize anything in universe? say like Wayfarer's Watch branch have land extending to Blackwater Rush and Atranta branch being near Greenfork?

The colors were, I suspect, random. All the arms in the two sets of heraldry are references to works of Jack Vance, with the dragons representing his story "The Dragon Masters".

33 minutes ago, Ran said:

The colors were, I suspect, random. All the arms in the two sets of heraldry are references to works of Jack Vance, with the dragons representing his story "The Dragon Masters".

I know, that's why I said in universe. They could both have a red dragon and we could then assume if we see any other branches, they'd have a red dragon on sigil as well. But with one green one black, I thought perhaps there's a reason behind it, in universe.

Actually, I asked George about why the Vances had dragons if they were creatures that existed only in Valyria, and his response was that there were dragons all over, once. So the Vance dragons were, at that time, part of their heraldry before the Conquest and had nothing to do with the Targaryens.

So this means, say Seadragon point gets the name from actual dragons, right?

Also this also means other houses with Dragon coas have nothing to do with them as well, unless we are told so, right? 

Does this mean house Willum, with a dragon skeleton, come from a line of dragonslayers? Davos the Dragonslayer perhaps?

On 10/29/2018 at 8:27 PM, 2uenten said:

Am I missing any reason for why Ned brought Ice with him to King's Landing? Too big to use for anything but beheadings and making Tywin jealous. (And just why is it so big to begin with, who was it for...) 

It is a symbol of his power. 

On 11/4/2018 at 3:58 AM, Darion Storm said:

But young enough not to have gray hair, unless he dies the hair on his chest. 

Archived