Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

Might be missing something obvious here or just forgetting from the books but IIRC when ‘Alayne’ and her party descend from The Eyrie in Feast, all bar Mord & I think Lothar Brune ride 600ft down in a basket lowered by Oxen & someone states that Mord will kill the Oxen afterwards. Since the group are supposedly running out of time to make their descent as it is how will/did Mord/Brune make the descent?

3 hours ago, SteveTargaryen said:

Might be missing something obvious here or just forgetting from the books but IIRC when ‘Alayne’ and her party descend from The Eyrie in Feast, all bar Mord & I think Lothar Brune ride 600ft down in a basket lowered by Oxen & someone states that Mord will kill the Oxen afterwards. Since the group are supposedly running out of time to make their descent as it is how will/did Mord/Brune make the descent?

Apart from the basket there is chute to climb down to Sky

On 11/17/2018 at 9:15 PM, Springwatch said:

The word 'autumn' appears a lot, but I was expecting 'fall' from an American author. Is GRRM unusual in preferring 'autumn'?

There are different views on the internet about which term became widespread earlier, but both are very old, dating from at least the 1600's. So either would be a good fit for the period.

grammarist.com says:

American writers are indiscriminate, using both fall and autumn, usually depending on which sounds better.

Ok, but I am genuinely curious if GRRM uses 'fall' at all?

Why didn't King Robert just announce his Ned-cession plans publicly before he died (seems he knew he was dying...)? Then everyone would know Ned was not usurping Joff by hearing it direct from Robert and not from a document. 

(Hopefully I'm not conflating The Show Which Shall Not be Named here.)

12 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

To answer my own question, GRRM mentioned in his new Entertainment Weekly interview that the Ancient Egyptians provided inspiration for the Targaryens, although he didn't mention specific rulers. 

I Think it's the Ptolemaic Dynasty. It started with a conquest and lasted 270-something years. Even the whole Aegon and Orys friendship/possibly them being half siblings seems to mirror Alexander/Ptolemy. The main difference is that it's Aegon's descendants who ruled the 7Ks rather than Orys's, but I guess they got their turn at that in the end anyway. 

9 hours ago, 2uenten said:

Why didn't King Robert just announce his Ned-cession plans publicly before he died (seems he knew he was dying...)? Then everyone would know Ned was not usurping Joff by hearing it direct from Robert and not from a document. 

(Hopefully I'm not conflating The Show Which Shall Not be Named here.)

Wasn’t Robert literally hours from death at that point? I imagine the strain of being carried to the small council chambers or wherever would’ve finished him off.

Although I suppose he could’ve called the small council to his deathbed to witness it, if his pride would permit them to see him in that state.

10 hours ago, Darion Storm said:

Wasn’t Robert literally hours from death at that point? I imagine the strain of being carried to the small council chambers or wherever would’ve finished him off.

Although I suppose he could’ve called the small council to his deathbed to witness it, if his pride would permit them to see him in that state.

Robert was also blind to the scheming and corruption around him so wouldnt be particularly concerned they wouldn't honour his wishes

28 minutes ago, kleevedge said:

Is the Late Walder Frey a reference to America in both ww1 & ww2?

I don't see how he could be.  Walder showed up when the war was already over the first time around, America showed while it was still going on.  Not to mention the fact that America didn't switch sides after D-Day and then invade the UK the 2nd time around.

It is very common for people to leverage a situation in war.  It is fair to say America got itself a hell of a deal in WW2, just like Walder did with Robb, but given how normal that is I don't think we could say it was the inspiration.

I am sure someone else asked this before, so apologies, but...

Comparing Theon III and Davos IV of ADWD it looks like there is a contuinity error. In fact:

In Theon III, Ramsey returns at the keep of lord Stout, after the 16 days search for the missing Freys.
When he's back, Roose informs him that Stannis has taken Deepwood Motte and that he has decided to move his son wedding with fArya to Winterfell. 

In Davos IV, however, first we have Robett Glover telling Davos that Stannis has taken Deepwood.
Then we have Lord Manderly telling Davos that he is about to leave with the Freys that during that trip will disappear, for Ramsey's wedding... but he also says "I have to go to Winterfell".

The weird thing being, that given Theon III it looks like that the news of Stannis taking back Deepwood came while Ransey was away, in his 16 days seach of the missing Freys. Therefore after lord Marderley left Withe Harbor and arrived at Barrowton without the Freys. And more importantly, that only then, during those 16 days of Ramsey's search, Roose decided to move the wedding to Winterfell.
If so, lord Manderly by the time he met Davos, had not reasons to say "I have to go to Winterfell".

My question is: has anyone ever "officially" confirmed (more or less) that is indeed nothing more than a continuity error?

Or is there any discussion on the subject you may suggest me?

Thank you

7 hours ago, lalt said:

Comparing Theon III and Davos IV of ADWD it looks like there is a contuinity error. In fact:

In Theon III, Ramsey returns at the keep of lord Stout, after the 16 days search for the missing Freys.
When he's back, Roose informs him that Stannis has taken Deepwood Motte and that he has decided to move his son wedding with fArya to Winterfell. 

In Davos IV, however, first we have Robett Glover telling Davos that Stannis has taken Deepwood.
Then we have Lord Manderly telling Davos that he is about to leave with the Freys that during that trip will disappear, for Ramsey's wedding... but he also says "I have to go to Winterfell".

The weird thing being, that given Theon III it looks like that the news of Stannis taking back Deepwood came while Ransey was away, in his 16 days seach of the missing Freys. Therefore after lord Marderley left Withe Harbor and arrived at Barrowton without the Freys. And more importantly, that only then, during those 16 days of Ramsey's search, Roose decided to move the wedding to Winterfell.
If so, lord Manderly by the time he met Davos, had not reasons to say "I have to go to Winterfell".

My question is: has anyone ever "officially" confirmed (more or less) that is indeed nothing more than a continuity error?

Thank you

I have never seen an official confirmation of the discrepancy. I have seen this topic come up several times since Dance without satisfactory resolution. The curious issue is why Wyman said he had to go to Winterfell in Davos IV when Roose summoned all to Barrowton and Wyman did go to Barrowton. The easiest answer is that Roose summoned the lords to Barrowton with the intention of marching to Winterfell together. The problem with that is Roose apparently doesn't decide to have wedding at Winterfell until Reek III. So Wyman was either anticipating Roose's decision or the George made a mistake.

8 hours ago, lalt said:

Thank you

33 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I have never seen an official confirmation of the discrepancy. I have seen this topic come up several times since Dance without satisfactory resolution. The curious issue is why Wyman said he had to go to Winterfell in Davos IV when Roose summoned all to Barrowton and Wyman did go to Barrowton. The easiest answer is that Roose summoned the lords to Barrowton with the intention of marching to Winterfell together. The problem with that is Roose apparently doesn't decide to have wedding at Winterfell until Reek III. So Wyman was either anticipating Roose's decision or the George made a mistake.

Correct me if I am wrong or it has been discussed already, but by the time Davos meets Manderly, and Wyman makes the, "I have to go to Winterfell" remark, doesn't Manderly already have Wex in his possession? Wex had the information on Rickon, and we know via Wylla and the privy talk that Wyman is on team Stark, so it seems Davos was the last player piece Wyman needed to be able to end the Bolton mummer's farce in Winterfell. Wyman had been planning on retaking Winterfell for a little while no matter what Roose was planning wedding-wise. Roose just smoothed the entry in to Winterfell for Manderly by inviting him in. Wyman has known for a while that it was Ramsay who committed the Winterfell blood and fire treason.

• "It was the Bastard who murdered Ser Rodrik and the men of Winterfell," said Lord Wyman. "He slew Greyjoy's ironmen as well. Wex saw men cut down trying to yield. When we asked how he escaped, he took a chunk of chalk and drew a tree with a face."

3 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

The problem with that is Roose apparently doesn't decide to have wedding at Winterfell until Reek III. So Wyman was either anticipating Roose's decision or the George made a mistake.

Yes. And as said in particularly, reading Reek III, it looks like Roose takes the decision only after Manderley's arrival without the Freys at Barrowton and Stannis takes Deepwood. To be more precise, while Ramsey is searching for them. Something that Manderly cannot take for grant before leaving WH. Furthermore, Roose says that the wedding has to be moved because Stannis may decide to attack the Dreadfort.

To avoid that, they need to provoke those who joined Stannis cause, such as the mountains clans, moving the wedding to Winterfell.

Putting the dots together, I personally believe an error is more likely.

But sure the issue is interesting, because:

3 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Correct me if I am wrong or it has been discussed already, but by the time Davos meets Manderly, and Wyman makes the, "I have to go to Winterfell" remark, doesn't Manderly already have Wex in his possession? Wex had the information on Rickon, and we know via Wylla and the privy talk that Wyman is on team Stark, so it seems Davos was the last player piece Wyman needed to be able to end the Bolton mummer's farce in Winterfell. Wyman had been planning on retaking Winterfell for a little while no matter what Roose was planning wedding-wise. Roose just smoothed the entry in to Winterfell for Manderly by inviting him in. Wyman has known for a while that it was Ramsay who committed the Winterfell blood and fire treason.

• "It was the Bastard who murdered Ser Rodrik and the men of Winterfell," said Lord Wyman. "He slew Greyjoy's ironmen as well. Wex saw men cut down trying to yield. When we asked how he escaped, he took a chunk of chalk and drew a tree with a face.

Yes, you're right. And that's why I asked if there is any confirmation that it is a mistake or not.

Because the only possible explaination - if it's not an error - is that Wayman knowing (of course) what he was about to do and therefore that the Freys were about the disappear, was planning something else too: to use the days spent waiting or searching for them, to convince Roose, or more likely other northern lords to suggest Roose, to move the wedding to Winterfell. And once there, trying to figure out if Wex's words were true... or how much.

Wayman was giving feasts even in those days in Barrowton: as we know, that is how he covers his plots, usually.

And, that could explain... Lady Dustin asking Theon to show her the cripts. 

If Wayman is trying to take other people to his side (and he should, if he's arming a fleet, then if he's ready to fight), then it's not that unrealistic to believe he tried to do so since Borrowton. Even more so, because that is probably the first time in a while (surely after the Red Wedding) that he is meeting those people. And Wayman, doesn't trust anybody. Not even his master. He believes to be surronded by spies, etc... so it could be..

Archived