Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

2 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Who had Blackfyre during the Dance of the Dragons? 

The sword was not mentioned by name in The Rogue Prince or The Princess and the Queen, but we can presume that it was with Viserys I in the Red Keep when he died, so Aegon II would have had access to it. And I think we can presume that Aegon took the sword into battle. Apparently, Aemond did not take into battle after Aegon was put out of action. Since Aegon was stripped of his finery and disguised as a fisherman, I think we can assume that the sword remained in King's Landing when he left as Rhaenyra arrived. But neither Rhaenyra nor Daemon took it up, and I don't see any indication that she carried it with her when she slipped out of King’s Landing. 

ETA

It woulda been cool, though, if Ser Criston Cole had given it to Prince Aemond. 

1 hour ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

The sword was not mentioned by name in The Rogue Prince or The Princess and the Queen, but we can presume that it was with Viserys I in the Red Keep when he died, so Aegon II would have had access to it. And I think we can presume that Aegon took the sword into battle. Apparently, Aemond did not take into battle after Aegon was put out of action. Since Aegon was stripped of his finery and disguised as a fisherman, I think we can assume that the sword remained in King's Landing when he left as Rhaenyra arrived. But neither Rhaenyra nor Daemon took it up, and I don't see any indication that she carried it with her when she slipped out of King’s Landing. 

ETA

It woulda been cool, though, if Ser Criston Cole had given it to Prince Aemond. 

Not by name but it is briefly mentioned:

Every visible symbol of legitimacy belonged to Aegon. He sat the Iron Throne. He lived in the Red Keep. He wore the Conquerer’s crown, wielded the Conquerer’s sword, and had been anointed by a septon of the Faith before the eyes of tens of thousands.

8 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Well, there you go! 

How you been RH? 

Alright, yourself? I've been mostly visiting the entertainment sub-forum lately. I feel like traffic on the board slowed down a bit around the time of the forum upgrade and eventually I just stopped checking the general forum. But this thread is still in my activity feed since it's almost a year old.

Once there's a date for Winds I'd imagine a lot of people will drift back as they start their re-reads. 

On 08/12/2017 at 3:39 PM, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

How was Cersei able to get Aerys to select Jaime for the Kingsguard?

Not a question easy to answer. If you didn't read already, I think you'd appreciate these threads - 1  2  3

On 12/12/2017 at 7:50 PM, King Merrett I Frey said:

What is summer fever? Some characters are reported to have died of it.

This sounds like a name that people on Westeros give to any unidentifiable disease that coincidentally occurred in the summer and have fever as symptom (ie appendicitis, meningitis).

The thought that westerosi give nicknames to unidentifiable diseases fist came to me when I was wondering what a "bad belly" was.

On 13/12/2017 at 1:32 PM, Lost Melnibonean said:

Renly was about 6 at the time of Robert’s Rebellion, and 9 when Joffrey was born, yet he was named Lord of Storm's End, presumably, in perpetuity. Do we know who Renly's regent and castellan were? For whom did he squire? (Renly was 12 during Greyjoy's Rebellion.) 

Castellan

According to the wiki, Ser Harbert was already old in 271 and he lived to met Patchface, who came to Storm's End in Steffon's ship in 278. I find unlikely that he outlived Robert's Rebellion and the siege of Storm's End. So, he must have died around this time.

Renly was named Lord some time after the assault on Dragonstone, which took place in 284. Edric Storm, born in 287, was raised in Storm's End under Penrose's tutelage. Penrose was castellan when Renly was named to the small council and was still castellan during War of the five kings. So, my guess is that Penrose was Renly's Castellan since he was named Lord.

Squired

Nobody, I guess.

Loras, born in 282, was Renly's page and squire. The usual age to become a page is around 7, so Loras went to SE circa 289, when Renly was around 12. Renly became Lord when he was 7+ (age to become page), so I don't think he had time to be a squire (which usually begins around 9-10 yo). Note: the youngest knights in Westeros were 15 yo, supposedly after 5 years training.

I'm not saying Renly was aiming to become a knight, just showing that squiring period is often larger than 2 years.

Just read Davos POV aSoS - not sure which # where in Balon & Robb are both dead (after Stannis put leeches in the fire & said their names) & Mel is trying to talk Stannis into giving her Roberts bastard to burn to wake the stone dragon & I got to wondering: they don't have any dragon eggs we are aware of so what stone does Mel think she is waking the dragon from? 

3 hours ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

Just read Davos POV aSoS - not sure which # where in Balon & Robb are both dead (after Stannis put leeches in the fire & said their names) & Mel is trying to talk Stannis into giving her Roberts bastard to burn to wake the stone dragon & I got to wondering: they don't have any dragon eggs we are aware of so what stone does Mel think she is waking the dragon from? 

Dragonstone was built using Valyrian magic to look like a bunch of dragons of various sizes. I'm pretty sure at one point Davos wonders what it would be like if Melisandre was successful and they sprung to life. 

edit:

And the dragons were everywhere. The Great Hall was a dragon lying on its belly. Men entered through its open mouth. The kitchens were a dragon curled up in a ball, with the smoke and steam of the ovens vented through its nostrils. The towers were dragons hunched above the walls or poised for flight; the Windwyrm seemed to scream defiance, while Sea Dragon Tower gazed serenely out across the waves. Smaller dragons framed the gates. Dragon claws emerged from walls to grasp at torches, great stone wings enfolded the smith and armory, and tails formed arches, bridges, and exterior stairs.

Davos had often heard it said that the wizards of Valyria did not cut and chisel as common masons did, but worked stone with fire and magic as a potter might work clay. But now he wondered. What if they were real dragons, somehow turned to stone?

"If the red woman brings them to life, the castle will come crashing down, I am thinking. What kind of dragons are full of rooms and stairs and furniture? And windows. And chimneys. And privy shafts."

29 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Dragonstone was built using Valyrian magic to look like a bunch of dragons of various sizes. I'm pretty sure at one point Davos wonders what it would be like if Melisandre was successful and they sprung to life. 

edit:

Yep. I just wondered if this is the stone Mel thought she was going to turn to a dragon as well. 

8 hours ago, maudisdottir said:

Not really a question more an observation - what’s with all the “what if...?” threads lately? Seems like every new post is some hypothetical scenario of what might (but didn’t) happen.

Perhaps it's a function of waiting so long to find out what will actually happen. 

24 minutes ago, RhaegoTheUnborn said:

Is it just me or is Ser Jorah a dick in the final three books? After "Arstan" and Strong Belwas is introduced, his character really takes a turn for the worse. He becomes so cynical like each and every time Daenaerys doesn't rely on him during her conquest.

It is not just you :P Even Daenerys notices this. I can't think of the exact quote, but it is something like, "Aah shit. I just know Jorah is gonna hate this."

Jorah is constantly trying to steer Dany one way, all the while she feels the need to go her own way for her reasons. This probably also has to do with Jorah and his seeing Daenerys as his first wife and Lynesse Hightower combo... who he idolizes as his "Jenny" figure in his head. The unobtainable woman. It may change :dunno:

8 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

It is not just you :P Even Daenerys notices this. I can't think of the exact quote, but it is something like, "Aah shit. I just know Jorah is gonna hate this."

Jorah is constantly trying to steer Dany one way, all the while she feels the need to go her own way for her reasons. This probably also has to do with Jorah and his seeing Daenerys as his first wife and Lynesse Hightower combo... who he idolizes as his "Jenny" figure in his head. The unobtainable woman. It may change :dunno:

He falls for Daenerys and expresses his feelings, but the feeling is unrequited. That is accompanied by her developing independence. He was possessive, and he hoped to keep her submissive. 

2 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

He falls for Daenerys and expresses his feelings, but the feeling is unrequited. That is accompanied by her developing independence. He was possessive, and he hoped to keep her submissive. 

Yeah, Jorah has a bad habit of trying to be the male hero knight to women in a George RR Martin story.

1 hour ago, RhaegoTheUnborn said:

That's pretty douchey of him.

It is.

14 hours ago, RhaegoTheUnborn said:

Is it just me or is Ser Jorah a dick in the final three books? After "Arstan" and Strong Belwas is introduced, his character really takes a turn for the worse. He becomes so cynical like each and every time Daenaerys doesn't rely on him during her conquest.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only person who took issue with Jorah actions towards Daenerys. It isn't just the warning away from other men or randomly kissing her, it is the fact that he is completely unrepentant about it nor does he even truly grasp the irony of the things he says given we the reader knew he was a spy since AGoT. When he and Barristan went to Dany to ask her forgiveness, I remember thinking... what the hell, Jorah?!

37 minutes ago, Crona said:

I don’t know where to ask this...but I’m looking into women who had difficult pregnancies and were sickly. Is it just Naerys and Elia? Would Lysa also be a part of this category?

I don't think of Lysa as sickly, and I think her fertility issues were probably on Jon Arryn's end since she got pregnant prior to her marriage. Her and Catelyn's mother may qualify though. She died in childbirth and there's a line in the first book that makes it sound like she was sick a lot.

Nonetheless, during all those years of Catelyn's girlhood, it had been Brynden the Blackfish to whom Lord Hoster's children had run with their tears and their tales, when Father was too busy and Mother too ill.

I can't think of anyone else at the moment.

Archived