Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

6 hours ago, Loose Bolt said:

Or why they were loyal to people who had harmed their relatives or even them?

This is explained by Petyr Baelish.

When the Hand says one thing and the Queen says another, who do they follow? The man who pays them.

The Gold Cloaks would be in poverty without their jobs. They follow the orders of Baelish because he's the one paying them and he ordered the defense of the city. It's worth pointing out that many of them deserted anyway.

18 minutes ago, Pride of Driftmark said:

I was always struck by the aftermath of the duel at the Tower of Joy. Why, and much more importantly, HOW IN THE NAME OF SEVEN GODS did Ned and Howland Reed, the only two survivors, manage to PULL DOWN A TOWER? 

War horses and grappling hooks vs un mortared stone? 

9 minutes ago, Ninclow said:

How long would it take, roughly, to journey from Lannisport to Oldtown by ship?

Drink with me, brother. Have a taste of this...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZsY3lcDDtTdBWp1Gx6mfkdtZT6-Gk0kdTGeSC_Dj7WM/edit?usp=drivesdk&ouid=114109604250083040355

Check the tab on Distances by Sea. 

11 hours ago, Ninclow said:

How long would it take, roughly, to journey from Lannisport to Oldtown by ship?

In addition to the spreadsheet @Lost Melnibonean has linked, I'd like to add that in the story, a ship takes as much time as Martin needs it to (meaning it can travel unrealistically quickly, or extremely slow, if the story demands it).

That said, we know from Jorah Mormont that it takes two weeks to sail from Lannisport to Bear Island. Looking at the Lands of Ice and Fire map of Westeros, Lannisport to Oldtown is roughly half the distance between Lannisport and Bear Island, so based on our given travel time I would guess about a week, give or take a few days.

21 hours ago, Pride of Driftmark said:

I was always struck by the aftermath of the duel at the Tower of Joy. Why, and much more importantly, HOW IN THE NAME OF SEVEN GODS did Ned and Howland Reed, the only two survivors, manage to PULL DOWN A TOWER? 

Also, if it had any wooden support structure elements, those could be burned, which would compromise the integrity. Therefore, easier to pull down.

21 hours ago, Pride of Driftmark said:

Maybe I'm too literal with this, but Meera does say that Howland can move castles and make them disappear. I don't know if the magic of the crannogs would work down in Dorne. 

On 1/30/2018 at 11:11 AM, Kandrax said:

Did Martin ever says that most thematic speeches are broken men speech and Varys's riddle about power?

He hasn't quantified any of his writing to say that some are more thematic than others, as such.

On 1/30/2018 at 1:47 AM, Lost Melnibonean said:

Drink with me, brother. Have a taste of this...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZsY3lcDDtTdBWp1Gx6mfkdtZT6-Gk0kdTGeSC_Dj7WM/edit?usp=drivesdk&ouid=114109604250083040355

Check the tab on Distances by Sea. 

Hoe do I like posts from other members? Could I give you like - a virtual hug or something?

20 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

In addition to the spreadsheet @Lost Melnibonean has linked, I'd like to add that in the story, a ship takes as much time as Martin needs it to (meaning it can travel unrealistically quickly, or extremely slow, if the story demands it).

That said, we know from Jorah Mormont that it takes two weeks to sail from Lannisport to Bear Island. Looking at the Lands of Ice and Fire map of Westeros, Lannisport to Oldtown is roughly half the distance between Lannisport and Bear Island, so based on our given travel time I would guess about a week, give or take a few days.

Thanks! :-D

5 hours ago, Lady Anna said:

I dont know if this is the right place but how do you hide a spoiler?

You can also use the code [ spoiler] [ /spoiler] and include your text in the gap

(obviously omit the space between the open square bracket and spoiler, that is just so you can see what I’m typing)

Archived