Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

38 minutes ago, Widow's Watch said:

His name is never given as far as I remember, but he is still alive in ADWD, The Wayward Bride chapter. He lost a leg when Deepwood was taken.

I wonder if The George was setting him up for something? 

On 4/20/2018 at 10:29 PM, Loose Bolt said:

Robert was already taken and Stannis was younger son, so he would inherit nothing.

Historically Tullies and Baratheons had been enemies so there could had been bad blood between them.

I didn't know that the Tullys and the Baratheons were enemies.  I thought that both houses were raised up because of Aegon.  Can you please explain further. 

41 minutes ago, goldenmaps said:

I didn't know that the Tullys and the Baratheons were enemies.  I thought that both houses were raised up because of Aegon.  Can you please explain further. 

The Storm Kings ruled the Riverlands until the Ironmen took it from them. Tullys fought against both. 

1 hour ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

The Storm Kings ruled the Riverlands until the Ironmen took it from them. Tullys fought against both. 

Wouldn't that have been pre-Baratheon Durrandons, though? I thought the Tullys signed on pretty quickly to the Targaryens, and the Baratheon came in with them (Aegon & Co., that is)?

53 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I was wondering after aegons conquest if there was still enmity. Both Tully and baratheon fought on the same side during Roberts rebellion and both had betrothals to Starks before Roberts rebellion.  Robert and catelyn were OK with Tully and baratheon blood being joined in marriage through sansa and joffrey.  

I understand why the riverlords did not like the storm kings before aegons conquest.  I just haven't heard of a rivalry between the two after aegons conquest.

4 minutes ago, Therae said:

Wouldn't that have been pre-Baratheon Durrandons, though? I thought the Tullys signed on pretty quickly to the Targaryens, and the Baratheon came in with them (Aegon & Co., that is)?

True, but Baratheon married Durrandon, so that the next Lord of Storm's End was as Durrandon with a new name. 

3 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

True, but Baratheon married Durrandon, so that the next Lord of Storm's End was as Durrandon with a new name. 

Maybe that's actually why Orys took Argella's sigil and words for his house, but kept his own name instead of adopting hers--to kind of put a sock in potentially lingering bad feelings for the Durrandons.

During the last battle of the Dance lord Kermit Tully slew lord Borros Baratheon.

Baratheons also rebelled against Aegon V. Unfortunately almost nothing is known about that rebellion, but it is possible that there were some battles or at least raids. So it is likely that bannermen of Tullies and Baratheons killed each other during that rebellion.

57 minutes ago, The Sunland Lord said:

On the Iron Islands, when a person pays the golden price instead of the iron, is he punished, or he is only looked down upon, as a social stigmatization? 

Looked down upon, if he/she is a warrior. We haven't heard anything about someone being punished, IIRC.

Women generally are allowed to wear jewellery which they have bought, in the Old Way (except when they too are warriors, I suspect).

5 minutes ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Looked down upon, if he/she is a warrior. We haven't heard anything about someone being punished, IIRC.

Women generally are allowed to wear jewellery which they have bought, in the Old Way (except when they too are warriors, I suspect).

Thank you for the answer. Your Grace.

23 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Since Tywin did not actually agree to grant a tract of land to Barristan, what did Cersei intend to do with him? 

I always took that as a sign that Varys lied that Tywin had agreed to that - or that he would agree to that as per Cersei and Joffrey's opinion. But it is clear that Varys draws Tywin into this deliberately to incite Barristan against this Lannister grab for power. The idea to blame Selmy for Robert's death and fire him was his brainchild, as he wanted to ensure that the man rediscover his Targaryen loyalties.

And it is this kind of subtle manipulation that makes it very likely that Varys actually considered to draw Ned back in the Targaryen camp, too. It wouldn't have been that difficult.

3 hours ago, Kandrax said:

I will take a stab at this...

Dagmer's siege of Torrhen's Square was the diversion for Theon's capture of Winterfell. Dagmer had to withdraw to the Stony Shore after Rodrik came down on him, but after Rodrick mustered more men to retake Winterfel, he apparently left Torrhen's Square insufficiently defended, and perhaps Dagner had come up with a strategy to take that particular castle, which he must have studied while besieging it. And, well, plot

Archived