Jump to content
Rhaenys_Targaryen

Small Questions v. 10105

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, The Sunland Lord said:

Can someone recommend what else to read connected to ASOIAF? Probably gonna purchase the World, but what else? 

 

If you have not read A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms, you must do it now. It's as good as, if not better than, ASOIAF. 

In addition to the The World of Ice and Fire, you should read The Princess and the Queen, The Rogue Prince, and The Sons of the Dragon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

If you have not read A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms, you must do it now. It's as good as, if not better than, ASOIAF. 

In addition to the The World of Ice and Fire, you should read The Princess and the Queen, The Rogue Prince, and The Sons of the Dragon. 

Thank you. I'll listen to your advice. Depends what they have in the book stores on the other hand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, The Sunland Lord said:

Thank you. I'll listen to your advice. Depends what they have in the book stores on the other hand

Just wait for Fire and Blood (it is getting released in November), because it contains all the texts from The Princess and the QueenThe Rogue Prince and The Sons of the Dragons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Dagmer's siege of Torrhen's Square was the diversion for Theon's capture of Winterfell. Dagmer had to withdraw to the Stony Shore after Rodrik came down on him, but after Rodrick mustered more men to retake Winterfel, he apparently left Torrhen's Square insufficiently defended, and perhaps Dagner had come up with a strategy to take that particular castle, which he must have studied while besieging it. And, well, plot

What about IB who weren't under Theon's command?

Barrowton lays near small river.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Sunland Lord said:

Thank you. I'll listen to your advice. Depends what they have in the book stores on the other hand.

I agree with Wondering Wolf. The other works are contained in anthologies, which are actually pretty good and contain some stuff by other great authors (excellent if you want to expand your fantasy reading beyond GRRM and want a bit of a taster). But if you only want them for the ASOIAF stuff they will not be worth the money, and you are better off waiting until November for Fire and Blood. 

A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms is worth it though, as it collects the three dunk and egg novels together and they are wonderful

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Kandrax said:

What about IB who weren't under Theon's command?

Barrowton lays near small river.

If it is navigable, perhaps Balon missed an opportunity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

Just wait for Fire and Blood (it is getting released in November), because it contains all the texts from The Princess and the QueenThe Rogue Prince and The Sons of the Dragons.

 

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I agree with Wondering Wolf. The other works are contained in anthologies, which are actually pretty good and contain some stuff by other great authors (excellent if you want to expand your fantasy reading beyond GRRM and want a bit of a taster). But if you only want them for the ASOIAF stuff they will not be worth the money, and you are better off waiting until November for Fire and Blood. 

A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms is worth it though, as it collects the three dunk and egg novels together and they are wonderful

Thank you both, but I already saw to @Lost Melnibonean's advice. :)

It was the last edition they had there, and anyhow besides ASOIAF it was all they had from the George at the moment.

So it was kind of written in the flames already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, The Sunland Lord said:

 

Thank you both, but I already saw to @Lost Melnibonean's advice. :)

It was the last edition they had there, and anyhow besides ASOIAF it was all they had from the George at the moment.

So it was kind of written in the flames already.

Hope you enjoy the three tales as much as I did. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

If it is navigable, perhaps Balon missed an opportunity. 

Balon did not seem to be the person who "saw all the angles."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone recall an interview with either Anne Groell or Jane Johnson, from maybe 2 or 3 years ago, where she mentions something about reading a Bran chapter? I could have sworn it existed but now I can’t find it and I’m wondering if I mixed a few things up in my mind.

@Rhaenys_Targaryen maybe? @RumHam?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Does anyone recall an interview with either Anne Groell or Jane Johnson, from maybe 2 or 3 years ago, where she mentions something about reading a Bran chapter? I could have sworn it existed but now I can’t find it and I’m wondering if I mixed a few things up in my mind.

@Rhaenys_Targaryen maybe? @RumHam?

Maybe you're thinking of this?  

Quote

 

We know that the producers of the TV show Game of Thrones know in broad strokes the ending of the main character arcs of A Song of Ice and Fire. Without giving anything away, do you know the ending, too?


No. George is a very secretive fellow, and guards his secrets well. I do know a few things from AWOW, but mainly because we had to shorten a few elements in the book as it was already getting too long, and he had to reveal a few secrets so I could help him redirect parts of the plot a bit. I do know the endpoint of Bran’s story line—and Daniel Abraham, who has been adapting the graphic novel of AGOT for me, knows where Tyrion ends up. (I am jealous of that!) But much in the way all of you have been keeping secrets from show watchers who have not yet read the books (and I continue to be impressed by how secret you all kept the Red Wedding), I also will never tell what I know. George has somehow managed to swear us all to this amazing conspiracy of silence, which I admire and appreciate and fully participate in! I had a very amusing lunch with Daniel in which we very pointedly did not tell each other what the other one knew. In short, like you, I Keep George’s Secrets.

 

https://winteriscoming.net/2014/05/29/george-r-r-martins-editor-anne-groell-answers-fan-questions-live-qa-hopes-twow-reasonably-soon/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

good Friday night all ... my question/request is for comments regarding the kindle ebooks.  
i only get the chapter numbers listed: not the names on the table of contents, is that just me? 
i wanted to be able to be selective in chapter reading (without some sort of cheat sheet) but i am THWARTED. 
can anyone check to see if their kindle edition only lists chapter numbers and not chapters with names, like the PAPER books have?

(because this really, really, really P!$$3$ me off)

 

:)  beeeeeerr  GO JETS!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My ebook (admittedly this is kobo, not kindle) lists chapter names (Sansa, Bran, Arya etc). As the ebooks are supposed to copy the hard copies they ought really to have the contents as chapter names and not numbers. Maybe try and get in touch with Amazon about the error

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018/4/28 at 10:53 AM, Yaya said:

can anyone check to see if their kindle edition only lists chapter numbers and not chapters with names, like the PAPER books have?

The kindle version don't have chapter names. You have to use Calibre and DeDRM to creat a reader-friendly version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/27/2018 at 5:44 AM, Lord Varys said:

I always took that as a sign that Varys lied that Tywin had agreed to that - or that he would agree to that as per Cersei and Joffrey's opinion. But it is clear that Varys draws Tywin into this deliberately to incite Barristan against this Lannister grab for power. The idea to blame Selmy for Robert's death and fire him was his brainchild, as he wanted to ensure that the man rediscover his Targaryen loyalties.

And it is this kind of subtle manipulation that makes it very likely that Varys actually considered to draw Ned back in the Targaryen camp, too. It wouldn't have been that difficult.

In case "If one Hand can die, why not a second? You have danced the dance before, my friend" referred to JonCon and Ned (an unlikely option, George knew little of JonCon and fAegon back in 1996), Varys surely tried to smuggle Ned to the Targs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2018 at 5:22 PM, zionius said:

In case "If one Hand can die, why not a second? You have danced the dance before, my friend" referred to JonCon and Ned (an unlikely option, George knew little of JonCon and fAegon back in 1996), Varys surely tried to smuggle Ned to the Targs.

While unrelated to your point, which by the way makes sense, I noticed that Jon Connington has a Ned vibe about him. And also Young Griff reminds me of the Young Wolf. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×