Jump to content
Rhaenys_Targaryen

Small Questions v. 10105

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

My TWoIaF e-book says 282.

“When the madness of King Aerys II became too much to be borne, it was to Lord Robert that the lords of the realm turned. In 282 AC, at the ford of the Trident, Robert Baratheon slew Rhaegar Targaryen, Prince of Dragonstone, and shattered his host, effectively ending three centuries of rule by the House of the Dragon. Soon thereafter he ascended the Iron Throne himself as Robert I Baratheon, the progenitor of a glorious new dynasty.”

Now, I had it on pre-order. Maybe it's a mistake that was later fixed for later editions and the search of I&F website didn't correct it accordingly?

Also, you may find the thread linked below interesting... 

 

 

Thanks for the link. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Hidden Dragon said:

Hello All,

I discovered a difference between the hardcopy text in TWOIAF and what asearchoficeandfire says, which makes me wonder 1) which version is correct (my copy of TWOIAF or the website), and 2) perhaps, more importantly, what other differences between the two are floating out there.

Here is what I found.  In the section on the Stormlands: House Baratheon (page 231 of TWOIAF, first line of the page) it reads "In 283, at the ford of the Trident, Robert Baratheon slew Rhaegar Targaryen, Prince of Dragonstone, and shattered his host, effectively ending three centuries of rule by the House of the Dragon."   The asearchoficeandfire website, however, shows 282 not 283 in that sentence. 

I know the one number difference may not be huge, (and, yes, I think 283 is the correct year) but I think many of us rely upon the site for quick search/reference and it shook my confidence in the site some.

Can anyone shed some light or comment on this? 

Thanks much.

Did you buy the copy this year? The ebook version seems to have upgraded from v3.1r4 (where it's still 282) to v3.1r5 this year, so I guess they made this change only in most recent prints.

I'll check if there're other changes in v3.1r5. Maybe they finally found a way to fix the Iron Islands issue!

Edited by zionius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, zionius said:

Did you buy the copy this year? The ebook version seems to have upgraded from v3.1r4 (where it's still 282) to v3.1r5 this year, so I guess they made this change only in most recent prints.

I'll check if there're other changes in v3.1r5.

I bought the book in December of 2017 (Christmas present to myself).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

My TWoIaF e-book says 282.

“When the madness of King Aerys II became too much to be borne, it was to Lord Robert that the lords of the realm turned. In 282 AC, at the ford of the Trident, Robert Baratheon slew Rhaegar Targaryen, Prince of Dragonstone, and shattered his host, effectively ending three centuries of rule by the House of the Dragon. Soon thereafter he ascended the Iron Throne himself as Robert I Baratheon, the progenitor of a glorious new dynasty.”

Now, I had it on pre-order. Maybe it's a mistake that was later fixed for later editions and the search of I&F website didn't correct it accordingly?

Also, you may find the thread linked below interesting...

 

 

@kissdbyfireThe error is listed in the thread you provided as confirmed and corrected.  To be clear, the error is 282 and the correct year for the battle of the Trident is 283.

So that confirms the search website has an error in it.  Makes me wonder what other errors are there.  I guess its best to double check key points if using the search site.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Hidden Dragon said:

@kissdbyfireThe error is listed in the thread you provided as confirmed and corrected.  To be clear, the error is 282 and the correct year for the battle of the Trident is 283.

So that confirms the search website has an error in it.  Makes me wonder what other errors are there.  I guess its best to double check key points if using the search site.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Errata_of_The_World_of_Ice_%26_Fire

https://redd.it/7bmaof 

I'll update the errata once I checked the latest version. 

13 minutes ago, The Hidden Dragon said:

I bought the book in December of 2017 (Christmas present to myself).  

Then I believe yours is the latest version. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Hidden Dragon said:

@kissdbyfireThe error is listed in the thread you provided as confirmed and corrected.  To be clear, the error is 282 and the correct year for the battle of the Trident is 283.

So that confirms the search website has an error in it.  Makes me wonder what other errors are there.  I guess its best to double check key points if using the search site.

I think the thread I linked lists others as well? It's been a while since I read it.

My guess is they used the e-book just as it came out. If so, the search will have whatever mistakes were there initially. 

And come to think of it, the same may be true.for all the other books as well. I know there are minor mistakes here and there, and those may appear in texts from the search of I&F. :dunno:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just redownloaded my Kindle version from Amazon, but it still shows 282 for that excerpt. I checked my settings with Amazon and Automatic Book Updates are turned on. Has TWOIAF been updated for other formats but not yet with Amazon?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Nittanian said:

I just redownloaded my Kindle version from Amazon, but it still shows 282 for that excerpt. I checked my settings with Amazon and Automatic Book Updates are turned on. Has TWOIAF been updated for other formats but not yet with Amazon?

I got a notification re updating purchases but that was a while back. I ignored it and ended up forgetting all about it until now. I'm gonna go see what it was all about now though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Nittanian said:

I just redownloaded my Kindle version from Amazon, but it still shows 282 for that excerpt. I checked my settings with Amazon and Automatic Book Updates are turned on. Has TWOIAF been updated for other formats but not yet with Amazon?

Have you checked the version number on the copyright page? It should be v3.1r5 for the latest Bantam Kindle version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope, had two updates for 2 other books, totally unrelated to TWoIaF. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I think the thread I linked lists others as well? It's been a while since I read it.

My guess is they used the e-book just as it came out. If so, the search will have whatever mistakes were there initially. 

And come to think of it, the same may be true.for all the other books as well. I know there are minor mistakes here and there, and those may appear in texts from the search of I&F. :dunno:

Yes, there is a list of errors confirmed and corrected.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

My e-book says only "v3.1".

That's a very old version, I guest sometime between 2014 and 2015. All prints/kindle versions after 2017 got the "greet deeds" in The Age of Heros section fixed. You may check other changes between v3.1 and v3.1r4 in my reddit post.

Edited by zionius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, zionius said:

Have you checked the version number on the copyright page? It should be v3.1r5 for the latest Bantam Kindle version.

Yep, v3.1_r5, but the stormlands chapter still states, "In 282 AC, at the ford of the Trident, Robert Baratheon slew Rhaegar Targaryen, Prince of Dragonstone, and shattered his host ...".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, zionius said:

That's a very old version, I guest sometime between 2014 and 2015. All prints/kindle versions after 2017 got the "greet deeds" in The Age of Heros section fixed. You may check other changes between v3.1 and v3.1r4 in my reddit post.

Well, when was it first out? That's how old my version is! :D

But apparently no updates available.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nittanian said:

Yep, v3.1_r5, but the stormlands chapter still states, "In 282 AC, at the ford of the Trident, Robert Baratheon slew Rhaegar Targaryen, Prince of Dragonstone, and shattered his host ...".

Well, sometimes they only update the hardcopy while kindle version remains the same. Such as in the case of Jeyne Westerling's hips. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, zionius said:

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Errata_of_The_World_of_Ice_%26_Fire

https://redd.it/7bmaof 

I'll update the errata once I checked the latest version. 

Then I believe yours is the latest version. 

The error of 282 AC actually being 283 AC is already in the errata!

All the errors listed in the earlier linked thread are in the errata as well, as a couple of others :) If you come across any others, please add them! :D 

Edited by Rhaenys_Targaryen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Lady Olenna squirmed forward. "Even when I was a girl younger than you, it was well known that in the Red Keep the very walls have ears.

Sansa I, Storm 6

Olenna was born just a few years before Bloodraven was removed from office by Egg, so was Olenna referring to Bloodraven's legacy as Mastrr of Whisperers and Hand of the King? Do we know who Egg's spymaster and hand were? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×