Jump to content
Rhaenys_Targaryen

Small Questions v. 10105

Recommended Posts

Over the years I have seen many times that Vance and Piper had 4000 men but not once have I see  anything even hinting this. Is this some misconception that has been accepted as truth or is there really some evidence pointing towards this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Over the years I have seen many times that Vance and Piper had 4000 men but not once have I see  anything even hinting this. Is this some misconception that has been accepted as truth or is there really some evidence pointing towards this?

Nope, probably just one reader's assumption from years ago which spread.

Quote

"The Kingslayer is massing a host at Casterly Rock," Ser Rodrik Cassel answered from the room behind her. "Your brother writes that he has sent riders to the Rock, demanding that Lord Tywin proclaim his intent, but he has had no answer. Edmure has commanded Lord Vance and Lord Piper to guard the pass below the Golden Tooth. He vows to you that he will yield no foot of Tully land without first watering it with Lannister blood." (AGOT Catelyn VII)

Quote

"Less than a fortnight past, they fought a battle in the hills below the Golden Tooth," Robb said. "Uncle Edmure had sent Lord Vance and Lord Piper to hold the pass, but the Kingslayer descended on them and put them to flight. Lord Vance was slain. The last word we had was that Lord Piper was falling back to join your brother and his other bannermen at Riverrun, with Jaime Lannister on his heels." (AGOT Catelyn VIII)

Quote

"Your brother has been covering himself with glory," his father said. "He smashed the Lords Vance and Piper at the Golden Tooth, and met the massed power of the Tullys under the walls of Riverrun. The lords of the Trident have been put to rout." (AGOT Tyrion VII)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was wondering if Beric, Thoros or Sandor know that Gendry is Robert's son.  I think that both Thoros and Sandor probably did meet a young Robert and Renly and isn't Beric from the Stormlands and probably has met a young Robert or Renly.  And both Ned and Brienne know that Gendry is Robert's son just by looking at him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are arya and jon warg? We know they can change into their direwolves but are they completely warg and able to change into other things too?

Bran can change himself into everything alive in the world? And is he the first one who can do this ? This makes him special?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Iman said:

Are arya and jon warg? We know they can change into their direwolves but are they completely warg and able to change into other things too?

Bran can change himself into everything alive in the world? And is he the first one who can do this ? This makes him special?

Arya has slipped into a cat's skin. And for the record, wargs only do wolves and direwolves. If the dude is doing other things, he is a skinchanger. Wargs are subsets of skinchangers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick question lads,

If the lord of a house dies, leaving behind a young son to inherit land and title, does that son become lord right away? Is there a regency of sorts or a Lord Protector? There's a case of this being done thousands of years before the Conquest with House Hightower, and more recently with Baelish at the Vale. What about just a normal House that's not a "Great" house?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Prince Jon Targaryen said:

What about just a normal House that's not a "Great" house?

We don't see that happening if I remember all correctly, but that's probably because it would not add to the story if we did. I assume it is just the same, as the smaller houses will imitate the ways of the great ones.

A regency does not mean that title and power are delayed, especially not the title. It means that de-facto the power is not yet fully in the hands of the wielder: "The king is dead, long live the king!", you know. Same goes for lords of any rank.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Prince Jon Targaryen said:

Quick question lads,

If the lord of a house dies, leaving behind a young son to inherit land and title, does that son become lord right away? Is there a regency of sorts or a Lord Protector? There's a case of this being done thousands of years before the Conquest with House Hightower, and more recently with Baelish at the Vale. What about just a normal House that's not a "Great" house?

Castellans can be appointed to aid the tasks usually performed by the ruling lord/lady until they are able to do so themselves. We see examples in text, although they are limid. Jaime dines with the castellan of Lady Ermesande Hayford at Hayford in Jaime 3, AFFC, and in TPATQ, the castellan of "young Lord Stokeworth" is the one who decides whether Rhaenyra can spent the night at the castle.

If I'm not mistaken,  regent generally are appointed only for the great houses, and Lord Protectors only for those houses that rule a region (or the kingdom).

Edited by Rhaenys_Targaryen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can someone explain how/why Robert's forces and the Targaryen loyalists ended up on different sides of the Trident? All Robert's battles were fought south of the Trident. The Arryn, Stark, and Tully forces came to Robert's aid at Stoney Sept south of the Trident. I suppose Riverrun would be the most logical place for the rebel forced to gather before the Battle of the Trident. It just seems a bit odd that the armies ended up on opposite sides of the Trident. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Bael's Bastard said:

Can someone explain how/why Robert's forces and the Targaryen loyalists ended up on different sides of the Trident? All Robert's battles were fought south of the Trident. The Arryn, Stark, and Tully forces came to Robert's aid at Stoney Sept south of the Trident. I suppose Riverrun would be the most logical place for the rebel forced to gather before the Battle of the Trident. It just seems a bit odd that the armies ended up on opposite sides of the Trident. 

I think you answered your own question. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably asked before, but I couldn't find it.  Why wasn't it the Kingsguard responsibility to fight Oberyn in the Trial by Battle? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Probably asked before, but I couldn't find it.  Why wasn't it the Kingsguard responsibility to fight Oberyn in the Trial by Battle? 

Because the crown was the accuser, not the accused.

Edited by The Grey Wolf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got interested in all the archaic words grrm uses, but they're hard to find without reading everything (again). I can only remember a few - help please?

I've got: caromed, comely, bane, nuncle, coz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Springwatch said:

I've got interested in all the archaic words grrm uses, but they're hard to find without reading everything (again). I can only remember a few - help please?

I've got: caromed, comely, bane, nuncle, coz

Doughty, craven, seemly, puissant, leal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ran said:

Doughty, craven, seemly, puissant, leal.

Thanks! How could I forget 'craven' - he loves that word.

Really scratching my head here, but added gallant, chivalrous and courteous, and also fair as in 'fair maid'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Springwatch said:

Thanks! How could I forget 'craven' - he loves that word.

Really scratching my head here, but added gallant, chivalrous and courteous, and also fair as in 'fair maid'.

Those I still read in modern English sometimes, especially courteous. I would add "niggard" which I had to look up when I encountered it. After doing a double take.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/15/2018 at 4:18 PM, RumHam said:

Those I still read in modern English sometimes, especially courteous. I would add "niggard" which I had to look up when I encountered it. After doing a double take.

It's a brave author who uses niggard nowadays, and the less the word is used, the wronger it looks. Nice to hear gallant etc. are still in use; and it turns out 'caromed' isn't archaic either - it's sporting, to do with billiards. (Why, grrm??? What does that word do for the atmosphere of the Serpentine Steps?)

Then there's 'anon' - which I thought was archaic and unchangeable, meaning 'soon', 'presently'. As in the phrase 'ever and anon'. But  grmm uses it to mean both 'before' or 'once' (when Alys Karstark says she danced with Jon anon) and future (Jon daydreaming; You'll dance with me anon).

ETA updated list (not fully checked, inc. gallant etc.)

anon, baleful, bane, baseborn, befitted, belike, beset, carouse, chivalrous, churl, comely, courteous, coz, craven, cur, doughty, fair maid, fealty, feign, gallant, highborn, leal, mayhap, misdoubt, niggard, nigh, nonce, nuncle, oft, puissant, rude shelter, seemly, solace, thrall, warg, wench, wight, wroth

Edited by Springwatch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, King Ned Stark said:

How old was (f)Aegon/Young Griff when he was delivered to Jon Connington?  Do we get any kind of approximate age?

Connington served with the Golden Company for five years following his exile in 283 AC. Assuming he would have taken over care for Aegon shortly after leaving the company, that would have been in 288 AC, when Aegon some six years old.

So Aegon was six years old at least. If Connington did not immediately after leaving the company began to train Aegon, the boy would have been a few years older. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Everyone:
Since we are on the subject of Aegon - what are the main theories concerning him?
Why do 80% of the READING population think he's fake?
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×