Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

On 8.4.2016 at 4:03 AM, RumHam said:

Cressen followed Stannis to Dragonstone, if I remember right.

I missed that one, thanks @RumHam

On 8.4.2016 at 4:56 AM, corbon said:

Also, it seems as though Maester Walys died during the war, or its lead up (maybe he went south with Rickard?)
Possibly Luwin was sent to Winterfell to replace Walys and stopped at Riverrun on the way as he knew Catelyn would be there?

This next puzzle piece seems to fit all too well, thanks @corbon

That makes a small theory I could not have come up with.

On 8.4.2016 at 5:15 AM, HelenaExMachina said:

[...] He may also have been Riverrun's Maester who accompanied Catelyn in the absence of any other companions. That would give both Lysa and Cat a familiar face when they left their homes to join their husbands. Cat would be going to a rather different culture, so it would make sense if she had some kind of companion.

And this adds a possible twist, could be either this or the other. Nice! Thanks @HelenaExMachina

On 8-4-2016 at 5:15 AM, HelenaExMachina said:

That's a good explanation. He may also have been Riverrun's Maester who accompanied Catelyn in the absence of any other companions. That would give both Lysa and Cat a familiar face when they left their homes to join their husbands. Cat would be going to a rather different culture, so it would make sense if she had some kind of companion.

Catelyn speaks of "old Maester Kym", when thinking of her own youth and her time at Riverrun, and Baelish tells Lysa that "[Hoster's] old maester" (who helped Hoster abort Lysa and Petyr's child) is dead. Since Lysa's abortion will have taken place in 282 AC (the only year the duel between Petyr and Brandon could have taken place), making Luwin the previous maester at Riverrun requires Hoster's maester (Kym) to have died, been replaced by Luwin, who was then replaced by yet another maester when he left for Riverrun, all in the timespan of a year and a half (-ish).

If Lywin had been Kym's replacement, he would have been a relatively new face, so I doubt he would have been the first choice to send along with Catelyn, if a familiar face is what Hoster was going for.

So, not likely. Thanks @Rhaenys_Targaryen

eta: I had no recollection of that, so I looked it up:

[...] Catelyn found herself yearning for the thin quavering tones of Septon Osmynd, long dead. Osmynd would have listened patiently to the tale of what she had seen and felt in Renly's pavilion, and he might have known what it meant as well, and what she must do to lay to rest the shadows that stalked her dreams. Osmynd, my father, Uncle Brynden, old Maester Kym, they always seemed to know everything, but now there is only me, and it seems I know nothing, not even my duty. How can I do my duty if I do not know where it lies?

early in ACoK 45 Catelyn VI

Regarding Luwin moving to Winterfell with Catelyn, I had the thought that there were two maesters at the time: Maester Kym who was the senior maester, and then Luwin as a "younger" replacement/assistant, like with Cressen and Pylos. And then perhaps Walys died in Winterfell and everyone figured that Luwin could take over that post, and sent him on his way with Catelyn. Then he would be a familiar face to her, Winterfell would have a new maester, and the Citadel could send someone else to aid Maester Kym - probably Maester Vyman who is there now and unfamiliar to Catelyn.

2 hours ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

Did anyone claim to see Ashara Dayne jump at Starfall?

I'm just curious why it was assumed that she jumped. If her body was never recovered why do people assume she jumped rather than simply left or was taken? 

It's like, welp she's not here, must have jumped out the window....

I believe Edric Dayne claims this happened. Of course it before he was born. Its the official Dayne version at least.

5 hours ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

Did anyone claim to see Ashara Dayne jump at Starfall?

Not that we know of. (Edric claims that is what she did, he does not claim that anyone saw her).

I'm just curious why it was assumed that she jumped. If her body was never recovered why do people assume she jumped rather than simply left or was taken? 

Because thats what the Daynes told people, I guess. Or she left a note. Or thats just their best guess.

It's like, welp she's not here, must have jumped out the window....

Pretty much. Of course, there may be a lot more t it that we don't know...

Hey guys,

Any of you know in which chapter Jon learns of Robb's death, then Bran and Rickon's presumed death off the top of yall's heads? If not I'll keep combing A Search of Ice and Fire :)

ETA: Bran and Rickon he learns of in Jon VI, Storm

I feel like he learns about Robb off page, but this doesn't seem right :dunno:

16 minutes ago, Roddy Darwin said:

Hey guys,

Any of you know in which chapter Jon learns of Robb's death, then Bran and Rickon's presumed death off the top of yall's heads? If not I'll keep combing A Search of Ice and Fire :)

The best way to find something like that is probably to use the chapter summaries on the wiki. There are links to the previous and next chapter for that POV so you can scan through them until you find it. Here's the Bran and Rickon one:

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/A_Storm_of_Swords-Chapter_48

Hi guys,

random question but if it has been discussed in a thread elsewhere any handy links would be much appreciated.

I know there's been a brief mention of the Stark warg abilities in this thread already but I've just been re-reading ADwD and there is a passage in a Jon chapter about when he's dreaming as Ghost. In it, it seemed as though he could see where Shaggydog and Nymeria were. Not just sense them but actually see their surroundings (unless I've remembered it wrong!). Obviously with Summer he could not sense him at all.

I am just wondering, it this the only instance where in a warg dream the dreamer has bee able to see not only though the eyes of their own direwolf but of the other direwolves too? is this a Jon ability or is it what makes Ghost different to the others? 

7 hours ago, Roddy Darwin said:

I feel like he learns about Robb off page, but this doesn't seem right :dunno:

It appears Jon is told off-page by Stannis or one of his followers after Mance's host is defeated.

The enemy was emerging from the forest, from the east, the northeast, the north; three great columns of heavy horse, all dark glinting steel and bright wool surcoats. Not the men of Eastwatch, those had been no more than a line of scouts. An army. The king? Jon was as confused as the wildlings. Could Robb have returned? Had the boy on the Iron Throne finally bestirred himself? "You best get back inside the tent," he told Val. (ASOS Jon X)

"I need the north."

The north. "I . . . my brother Robb was King in the North . . ."

"Your brother was the rightful Lord of Winterfell. If he had stayed home and done his duty, instead of crowning himself and riding off to conquer the riverlands, he might be alive today. Be that as it may. You are not Robb, no more than I am Robert." (ASOS Jon XI)

Regarding Luwin, I have always thought Cat spoke inaccurately because that is how people speak. Her point was that nakedness does not matter because he has seen her in childbirth. Ned, Cat and Luwin all know their own history and would be aware of where Cat had given birth, but saying 'helped give birth to four of my five children' is a bit of a mouthful, saying 'all my children' is simpler and if it is incorrect because Luwin began serving them sometime before Sansa's birth then it would be a pointless sidetrack to the conversation for anybody to clarify her comment.

41 minutes ago, Buried Treasure said:

Regarding Luwin, I have always thought Cat spoke inaccurately because that is how people speak. Her point was that nakedness does not matter because he has seen her in childbirth. Ned, Cat and Luwin all know their own history and would be aware of where Cat had given birth, but saying 'helped give birth to four of my five children' is a bit of a mouthful, saying 'all my children' is simpler and if it is incorrect because Luwin began serving them sometime before Sansa's birth then it would be a pointless sidetrack to the conversation for anybody to clarify her comment.

I agree. 

10 hours ago, Buried Treasure said:

Surely she would just say "my children" then? The 'all' is entirely superfluous unless its actually accurate (and even then, its not at all necessary I guess, so still superfluous).
Point being, if she's just inaccurate-through-casual-language here there are even simpler and smoother ways to say the same thing that aren't inaccurate.

6 minutes ago, Adam Targaryen said:

Why did Catelyn have to bargain with the Freys when House Frey is sworn to House Tully? Don't the Tullys have power over them? Couldn't the Stark army have fought them if they refused to let them through the bridge?

Yes House Frey is sworn to House Tully. But that means nothing if they decide they don't want it to. House Bolton was sworn to Robb, and look where that ended up. Plus, Catelyn is not Lady Tully, so really has no power to demand the Freys do anything anyway. Not that I think that is why they refused, but it's worth mentioning. 

And yes, the Stark army could try to attack. But, as is pointed out in the text, they don't have the time or resources to besiege (they are only on one side of the river) and trying to storm the castle would be suicide. Even if they managed to take the Twins, they'd be in no shape to confront Tywin or Jaime.

6 minutes ago, Adam Targaryen said:

Why did Catelyn have to bargain with the Freys when House Frey is sworn to House Tully? Don't the Tullys have power over them? Couldn't the Stark army have fought them if they refused to let them through the bridge?

The whole point was speed, in order to get to Riverrun before the Lannister's knew they split the Northern army. Robb could not have forced the Frey's out of both sides of the Twins, in time, perhaps at all.

“Lord Frey would be a fool to try and bar our way,” Theon Greyjoy said with his customary easy confidence. “We have five times his numbers. You can take the Twins if you need to, Robb.”

“Not easily,” Catelyn warned them, “and not in time. While you were mounting your siege, Tywin Lannister would bring up his host and assault you from the rear.”  - AGoT p. 641

5 hours ago, Adam Targaryen said:

Because its not so straightforward as that. This is effectively a rebellion against the King. The Freys can argue, and have it be true, that Robb is acting against the King. their King, in moving his army south. Who ranks higher, the King or the Lord Paramount?

Remember that Stannis had a hard time deciding whether to support Robert or not. And thats his own brother and a clear cut case of the King acting unlawfully against Robert (demanding his head when he had committed no crime and in fact had had a crime committed against him by the crown already).

12 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Did Tyrion leave the cached wildfire buried under King's Landing? Or was it all used during the Battle on the Blackwater? 

There had to be a bit left if Cersei was able to use it to burn the Tower of the Hand, right? Or did she have them make more?

Archived