Jump to content
Rhaenys_Targaryen

Small Questions v. 10105

Recommended Posts

Tower of Joy questions

Was the tower of joy an existing Tower that Rhaegar re-named, or was it the Tower of Joy before he went there with Lyana?

Is the Tower's location well known?  Is there anything in the books that states that the residents of that rough area know where to find it?

Is there anything in the books that state where, in Dorne, this tower used to stand or other information, such as size, type of stone, etc?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Isobel Harper said:

True, they are not literally Velaryon colors, though also "green" (sea-green), and silver and grey are more or less interchangeable, no?  Maybe I was looking to much into the scene.

Could be she just couldn't find any Targaryen-coloured clothes. Black gets rather warm too. Alternatively, she gave him a green cloak to bring out the lilac in his eyes. If you look at makeup tips green eyes usually get assigned red or purple eyeshadow to make them pop. Why not the opposite? Though I doubt GRRM knows much about makeup... :P

I don't think the nobles always wear their house colours. Cersei wears a lot of green, and she's so proud of being a Lannister you'd think she'd take one of their banners and make a dress out of it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, daccu65 said:

Tower of Joy questions

Was the tower of joy an existing Tower that Rhaegar re-named, or was it the Tower of Joy before he went there with Lyana?

Quote

It was said that Rhaegar had named that place the tower of joy, but for Ned it was a bitter memory. 

So it seems Rhaegar named it that.

13 hours ago, daccu65 said:

Is the Tower's location well known?  Is there anything in the books that states that the residents of that rough area know where to find it?

We don't know. I doubt it was a hidden tower or anything like that. Probably just an unremarkable one that had fallen out of use for whatever reason.

13 hours ago, daccu65 said:

Is there anything in the books that state where, in Dorne, this tower used to stand or other information, such as size, type of stone, etc?

It's on the map of Dorne in the worldbook, but we don't know anything about it's size or construction. Other than what can be inferred from the fact that Ned and a couple other people were apparently able to tear it down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

Can someone tell me what the spoiler tags look like.  I just made a thread and clearly messed it up.  Also I think this question and answer belongs in the OP.

In the first spoiler box thingy, take out the /. So it should be [ spoiler] without the space.

Edited by RumHam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TPTWP

Born between smoke and salt.

I've just noticed...THAT'S A HAM!!

Well, it could be a salmon as well. I wonder if it means something of GRRM was just having some fun.

On second thoughts, a ham is more or less dead meat. Corpses freezing in the ice cells? Jon Snow, maybe?

Eta. In fact, he was butchered as a pig becoming pork.

Edited by finger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2016 at 1:38 AM, HelenaExMachina said:

I guess you are only just reading the books now? Throughout the books, Arya recalls her "dance master's" (I.e. Syrio's) lessons - fear cuts deeper than swords, etc. It's not because he is physically with her, but because she places a high degree of importance on what he taught her.

 

I'm on my 7th read through :). The moment stands out because it is different to all the other times Arya turns to Syrio's advice in his absence. It sounds like a physical voice rather than a thought process. I don't have the book to hand to quote it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, finger said:

TPTWP

Born between smoke and salt.

I've just noticed...THAT'S A HAM!!

Well, it could be a salmon as well. I wonder if it means something of GRRM was just having some fun.

On second thoughts, a ham is more or less dead meat. Corpses freezing in the ice cells? Jon Snow, maybe?

Eta. In fact, he was butchered as a pig becoming pork.

It's a herring! Most likely a red one named Daenerys. Unless you prefer to eat your herring raw, of course. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, finger said:

TPTWP

Born between smoke and salt.

I've just noticed...THAT'S A HAM!!

Well, it could be a salmon as well. I wonder if it means something of GRRM was just having some fun.

On second thoughts, a ham is more or less dead meat. Corpses freezing in the ice cells? Jon Snow, maybe?

Eta. In fact, he was butchered as a pig becoming pork.

It's a herring! Most likely a red one named Daenerys. Unless you prefer to eat your herring raw, of course. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, SonofMag said:

 

I'm on my 7th read through :). The moment stands out because it is different to all the other times Arya turns to Syrio's advice in his absence. It sounds like a physical voice rather than a thought process. I don't have the book to hand to quote it...

Ah I see. I don't have the books to hand either but is this the first time she thinks of his voice/lessons after Meryn? It could just be a case of her first time shock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

It's a herring! Most likely a red one named Daenerys. Unless you prefer to eat your herring raw, of course. 

Matjee's season is coming

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Ah I see. I don't have the books to hand either but is this the first time she thinks of his voice/lessons after Meryn? It could just be a case of her first time shock.

Found it. "Calm as still water, a small voice whispered in her ear. Arya was so startled she almost dropped her bundle". See what I mean? It doesn't sound like the way she gives herself advice in everything that follows. The only things she can see are dead men and horses so I pretty sure Syrio wargs equids :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From Bran II in Storm of Swords, when he is walking with Meera and Jojen

And Barristan the Bold twice donned a mystery knight's armor, the first time when he was only ten.

When was the second time? - I can't seem to find it.

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Clarrisa said:

From Bran II in Storm of Swords, when he is walking with Meera and Jojen

And Barristan the Bold twice donned a mystery knight's armor, the first time when he was only ten.

When was the second time? - I can't seem to find it.

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure we are not told, it's left open.  Maybe there was a tourney at Starfall he tried to win, or maybe it has to be before he joined the Kingsguard otherwise it would be considered dishonorable..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

When she had been presented to him, Cersei had almost drowned in the depths of his sad purple eyes. He has been wounded, she recalled thinking, but I will mend his hurt when we are wed.

This is from Cersei V in Feast. She is, of course, talking about Rhaegar. I'm curious about why she thinks he has been wounded. This is happening during the tournament at Lannisport. Did something happen to Rhaegar? I think Cersei is just making a statement on the appearance of his eyes, like they look sad but I am not sure. I never know if I'm missing something... Thanks for your thoughts! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

why did Catelyn Tully did not keep her surname like Cersei Lannister?

I mean the Tullys are on the same level as Starks, Arryn, Lannisters and Tyrells right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, dantares83 said:

why did Catelyn Tully did not keep her surname like Cersei Lannister?

I mean the Tullys are on the same level as Starks, Arryn, Lannisters and Tyrells right?

So Spake Martin:

Quote

Most of the ladies of Westeros do change their names when they wed, although usage varies. If the wife's family is significantly higher born than the husband's, she may use his name little, if at all.

Cat goes by both Stark and Tully during ASOIAF, often depending on the circumstance (same with Lysa and Olenna). Cersei and Margaery marry into royalty, however, and consorts have not taken their reigning spouses' family names in GRRM's story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nittanian said:

So Spake Martin:

Cat goes by both Stark and Tully during ASOIAF, often depending on the circumstance (same with Lysa and Olenna). Cersei and Margaery marry into royalty, however, and consorts have not taken their reigning spouses' family names in GRRM's story.

The husband might appreciate reminding everyone how tightly his wife's powerful family is tied to the marriage alliance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24-4-2016 at 6:47 PM, Starfell said:

Does anyone know if Red Walder get his name because he's half Lannister, or because of something killy?

That has not been revealed thusfar. Considering he's a fifteen year old page, I doubt he received the nickname because he killed someone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×