Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

thank you for the link.

jaime rests his head against a weirwood stump in A Storm of Swords - Jaime VI.

"Jaime stretched out near the fire and propped a rolled-up bearskin against a stump as a pillow for his head. The wench would have told him he had to eat before he slept, to keep his strength up, but he was more tired than hungry. He closed his eyes, and hoped to dream of Cersei. The fever dreams were all so vivid . ."

He's rolled up against (what i believe to be a weirwood) a stump and reacts to the "fever dreams" ... I'm sure this has been considered right?

42 minutes ago, Yaya said:

thank you for the link.

jaime rests his head against a weirwood stump in A Storm of Swords - Jaime VI.

"Jaime stretched out near the fire and propped a rolled-up bearskin against a stump as a pillow for his head. The wench would have told him he had to eat before he slept, to keep his strength up, but he was more tired than hungry. He closed his eyes, and hoped to dream of Cersei. The fever dreams were all so vivid . ."

He's rolled up against (what i believe to be a weirwood) a stump and reacts to the "fever dreams" ... I'm sure this has been considered right?

Yes, here is my take on it. 

If R+L=J is true and let's say Jon finds out about it, how do you think he'd react to it? You think he'd feel ashamed that his birth was done only to fulfill a prophecy but instead led thousands to their deaths? I think he'd resent Rhaegar and still consider Ned as his real father despite not being so.

7 hours ago, Drekinn said:

If R+L=J is true and let's say Jon finds out about it, how do you think he'd react to it? You think he'd feel ashamed that his birth was done only to fulfill a prophecy but instead led thousands to their deaths? I think he'd resent Rhaegar and still consider Ned as his real father despite not being so.

Well, we don't know for sure what Rhaegar's motives were at this point.  As such, I don't think we can make any assumptions on how Jon would react to anything prophecy related.  That said, I tend to think learning the truth of his parentage would be bittersweet for Jon.  This is what Jon thinks in AGoT:

There was no place for him in Winterfell, no place in King's Landing either. Even his own mother had not had a place for him. The thought of her made him sad. He wondered who she had been, what she had looked like, why his father had left her. Because she was a whore or an adulteress, fool. Something dark and dishonorable, or else why was Lord Eddard too ashamed to speak of her? (Jon V in Thrones)

Finding out Lyanna was his mother would fill a hole that exists in Jon's life and in his own sense of identity.  He needs to understand that Ned didn't speak of his mother not because he was ashamed of her, but because he loved her too much.  It was too painful for him to talk about her in any real detail.  That Lyanna is his mother would be the sweet part.  The bitter pill for Jon to swallow will be the consequences of Lyanna being identified as his mother - Ned Stark is not his biological father.  And I think Jon will find that a lot harder to deal with than finding out about Lyanna.  Jon's entire sense of self is based upon him being Ned Stark's son, and his actions are about proving himself worthy of being called Ned Stark's son.

Jon put his heels into his horse and broke into a gallop, racing down the kingsroad, as if to outrun his doubts. Jon was not afraid of death, but he did not want to die like that, trussed and bound and beheaded like a common brigand. If he must perish, let it be with a sword in his hand, fighting his father's killers. He was no true Stark, had never been one … but he could die like one. Let them say that Eddard Stark had fathered four sons, not three. (Jon IX in Thrones)

In part, I think, because Jon has never known who his mother is, he has built an identity around being a son of Ned Stark, and it will hit him hard when he finds out that who he is is based on a lie.  A lie that Ned told to protect him and ensure that he lived, but a lie nonetheless.  Ygritte was right - Jon knew nothing, least of all who he really is.  It will be difficult for him to accept any man than isn't Ned Stark as his father.  And to Jon, I think that regardless of biology, Ned Stark will remain his father for the rest of his life.  It may not have been Ned that impregnated Jon's mother, but he clothed and fed Jon; he raised him; he put a sword in his hand and saw that he learned how to fight; he taught Jon the meaning of honor and justice; he treated Jon as if he were his son.  To Jon, Ned Stark will always be his father - Rhaegar a mere biological fact.  

When arriving at Yunkai, Daenerys tells the commanders from the Yunkish army that

"Five hundred of your Stormcrows against ten thousand of my Unsullied," said Dany. "I am only a young girl and do not understand the ways of war, yet these odds seem poor to me."

However, Daenerys, in Astapor, only bought (and later freed) 8600 Unsullied, and 5000 uncut boys still in training. 

So, is Dany rounding up her numbers (perhaps exaggerating on purpose)? Or did more Unsullied join her along the march from Astapor to Yunkai? Is there anything in the text about this?

1 hour ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

When arriving at Yunkai, Daenerys tells the commanders from the Yunkish army that

"Five hundred of your Stormcrows against ten thousand of my Unsullied," said Dany. "I am only a young girl and do not understand the ways of war, yet these odds seem poor to me."

However, Daenerys, in Astapor, only bought (and later freed) 8600 Unsullied, and 5000 uncut boys still in training. 

So, is Dany rounding up her numbers (perhaps exaggerating on purpose)? Or did more Unsullied join her along the march from Astapor to Yunkai? Is there anything in the text about this?

I have always assumed 10k was an exaggerated rounding. I think Renly had the same problem. 

On 7/12/2016 at 2:47 PM, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Thanks!

Also from ASOS Jon VI:

Donal Noye turned the maester's blades in the fire. "A dozen true men made it back. Dolorous Edd, Giant, your friend the Aurochs. We had the tale from them."

Only a dozen? Two hundred men had left Castle Black with Lord Commander Mormont, two hundred of the Watch's best.

hello with another question!

regarding:  direwolves sculpted with the stark kings in the crypts of winterfell - this would suggest to me that previous stark people had direwolf companions like Eddard's children have/have had. 

has this been discussed much?

3 minutes ago, Ckram said:

That's a hard one. I have not found any evidence. The books don't even mention if there is a direwolf statue at Rickard's tomb.

It's more certain that they are decorative.

I would say it's suggestive... the author wants us to wonder. 

10 hours ago, Ckram said:

The books don't even mention if there is a direwolf statue at Rickard's tomb.

"The Lords of Winterfell watched them pass. Their likenesses were carved into the stones that sealed the tombs. In long rows they sat, blind eyes staring out into eternal darkness, while great stone direwolves curled round their feet." - AGoT, Eddard I.

While it doesn't say for certain that Rickard's tomb has a direwolf, this does imply that each tomb has one.

As for the original question, you are correct - we have no evidence that the earlier Starks had actual direwolf companions (though I wouldn't be surprised to find that some of them did). 

I think the safe assumption would be that the direwolves in the crypts are indeed meant only as a decoration.

11 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

I don't think the actual email has been posted online, but the confirmation is mentioned here

Thank you! That's the best I have been able to find as well, though I was hoping to have more info or a direct quote. It seems crazy that Rhaegar would think Aegon would be asoiaf, when he has no ice. 

If there is anything more substantial I would love to find it!

5 hours ago, Aegon VII said:

Thank you! That's the best I have been able to find as well, though I was hoping to have more info or a direct quote. It seems crazy that Rhaegar would think Aegon would be asoiaf, when he has no ice. 

Presumably he interpreted the ice to be the Others and the fire to be the Targaryens and their dragons. It was probably only after meeting Lyanna that the other meaning came to him.

7 hours ago, Aegon VII said:

Do take more that Rhaegar says "his is he song of ice and fire", not "he is the song...". Ii think Rhaegar was thinking more along the lines of "fire (Aegon) against ice (others)", as RumHam said.

On 7/15/2016 at 5:08 PM, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Is it stated anywhere how many men the Ghiscari legions contains?

Not that I can find yet. From "The Windblown":

It was a hundred leagues from Astapor to Yunkai by the old Ghiscari coast road, and another fifty from Yunkai to Meereen. The free companies, well mounted, could reach Yunkai in six days of hard riding, or eight at a more leisurely pace. The legions from Old Ghis would take half again as long, marching afoot, and the Yunkai'i and their slave soldiers …

Should this be New Ghis, whose legions are mentioned a few times in ADWD? Old Ghis was ruined by Valyria.

Archived