Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

37 minutes ago, Kal-L said:

I've read several times that the Starks had an original ancestral sword named "Ice" before they got their Valyrian sword 400 years ago. I wondered where it was mentioned ?

Catelyn's first chapter:

Catelyn had no love for swords, but she could not deny that Ice had its own beauty. It had been forged in Valyria, before the Doom had come to the old Freehold, when the ironsmiths had worked their metal with spells as well as hammers. Four hundred years old it was, and as sharp as the day it was forged. The name it bore was older still, a legacy from the age of heroes, when the Starks were Kings in the North.

32 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Snip

Thanks mate ! But in that case we don't know of what steel the sword was made of, I mean it could very well be regular steel or the same metal as Dawn. I'm saying this because a lot of people were hoping the Starks would regain their original sword.

28 minutes ago, Kal-L said:

Thanks mate ! But in that case we don't know of what steel the sword was made of, I mean it could very well be regular steel or the same metal as Dawn. I'm saying this because a lot of people were hoping the Starks would regain their original sword.

Exactly, but if you think of its name first, then imagine the sword of an other, I think that may be what we are meant to dream of.

What color is Petyr Baelish's coat of arms?  House Baelish's is a grey titan head on a light green field; Petyr Baelish changed his personal sigil to the mockingbird, but there is no mention of the color of Petyr's personal arms is made as far as I remember.

3 hours ago, Isobel Harper said:

What color is Petyr Baelish's coat of arms?  House Baelish's is a grey titan head on a light green field; Petyr Baelish changed his personal sigil to the mockingbird, but there is no mention of the color of Petyr's personal arms is made as far as I remember.

This is the sigil from the wiki

We never see the actual sigil in the books. 

He showed her a ribbon. Catelyn felt her breath catch in her throat. The seal was a mockingbird, in grey wax. "Petyr," she said. So soon. Something must have happened to Ser Rodrik. She looked at the head guardsman. "Do you know who I am?"

"I'm Sansa Stark," she said, ill at ease. The man wore a heavy cloak with a fur collar, fastened with a silver mockingbird, and he had the effortless manner of a high lord, but she did not know him. "I have not had the honor, my lord."

Littlefinger came calling an hour after the Grand Maester had left, clad in a plum-colored doublet with a mockingbird embroidered on the breast in black thread, and a striped cloak of black and white. "I cannot visit long, my lord," he announced. "Lady Tanda expects me to lunch with her. No doubt she will roast me a fatted calf. If it's near as fatted as her daughter, I'm like to rupture and die. And how is your leg?"

So we see the mockingbird but never see the actual coat of arms.

What was Tywins plan regarding who rules Casterly Rock after him? I know he ALWAYS regarded Jamie as his true Heir(Which he was) but Aerys stole him and made him Kingsguard. And he knows Cersei is a dumb bitch, also he denies Tyrion as heir. I don't get what his succession plan were?

(Now this is a what-If) Rheagar kills Robert and calls the council and deposes his father, or even Joff dies and Tywin dies with him and Tyrions is on a mission to the Ironbank by his father, and the blame is put on Oberyn. Who is Lord of Casterly? I know Cersei believes she has "Friends" but would Kevan and the other Westernmen allow this? History shows Men prefer men(Giggity) to rule over them, and not a Woman.

But people do hate Tyrion because a Dwarf, so I wanna know the what ifs too.

3 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Do we know how/where the released chapters of TWOW fit in to this? Mainly the Theon chapter.

No idea. Personally I'm inclined to think that it would take place before Jon get's the Pink Letter. I don't necessarily think everything in the letter is true but I don't see how it would benefit Ramsey to lie about defeating Stannis. Jon could easily find out if that wasn't true. 

Martin had this to say about it:

(The chronology, as usual, is tricky. This chapter will be found eventually at the beginning of WINDS, but as you will be able to tell from context, it actually takes place before some of the chapters at the end of DANCE).

http://grrm.livejournal.com/257002.html

14 minutes ago, RumHam said:

No idea. Personally I'm inclined to think that it would take place before Jon get's the Pink Letter. I don't necessarily think everything in the letter is true but I don't see how it would benefit Ramsey to lie about defeating Stannis. Jon could easily find out if that wasn't true. 

Martin had this to say about it:

http://grrm.livejournal.com/257002.html

Thanks. I know before the pink letter, I didn't know if it was ever "officially" established which chapter in particular. Sam with  Arianne and Alayne and the wet one. 

Ser Robert Strong is presumably the reanimated corpse of Gregor Clegane, and will champion for Cersei in Trial by Combat(which always makes me think of Trial by Stone in the Dark Crystal.... Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrmmmm).... who do you think will rise to challenge it (as it may be a wraith/demon that resides in place of Gregors' own spirit/soul, a la what some people on these boards believe has taken over Catelyn Stark  Lady Stoneheart this is fun, WHEEEEEEEEE! 

6 hours ago, Ser Warren Royce said:

Ser Robert Strong is presumably the reanimated corpse of Gregor Clegane, and will champion for Cersei in Trial by Combat(which always makes me think of Trial by Stone in the Dark Crystal.... Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrmmmm).... who do you think will rise to challenge it (as it may be a wraith/demon that resides in place of Gregors' own spirit/soul, a la what some people on these boards believe has taken over Catelyn Stark  Lady Stoneheart this is fun, WHEEEEEEEEE! 

Welcome to the forum, @Ser Warren Royce.

Your question is not a small one, there's no handy but hidden answer available. There are probably quite many threads discussing your question, maybe you want to go looking for "Cleganebowl" for a start.

And as I wrote, that's not the answer, only one of the options the fandom came up with.

Sorry, my mistake, thanks for the warm greetings, though.

This is semi serious..... who will Tyrion bitch slap next? -titters giddily- I mean, if there's ever a Lego Game of Thrones or anything like that, one of his attacks should be a bitch slap.... I mean in the game it'd be love tap or something, but LOOOOOOOOOOOL

I was just perusing the Wiki and came upon the Nights Watch entry. It states the top positions of the NW being Lord Commander, First Ranger, First Builder and Lord Steward. Why are the Stewards called such? First Steward is also used and  they're the only one of the three second-tier ranks to have Lord in their title. Do we know why?

"I had a dream myself last night. I was kissing this tavern wench I used to know. Are you going to pay me for that, old woman?”

The wench is dead,” the woman hissed. “Only worms may kiss her now.”

Is an allusion to this...

FRIAR BARNARDINE. Thou hast committed--

BARABAS. Fornication: but that was in another country; And besides, the wench is dead.

The Jew of Malta

What is the significance of The woods witch's use of it here? Keep in mind that Petyr uses the line twice describing "Alayne's" mum. Petyr's use seems to be his character explaining away his indirect responsibility for Catelyn's death. 

Archived