Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

5 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

No thank you. As you suggested, the debate is endless. There is no definite answer. I am pretty sure I am right, but even if I turn out to be wrong, I don't think it really matters. 

No problem. If you change your mind let me know. I'd like to read your thinking on the matter.

This may not be a small question but anyways... 

What is to be made of this scene from Dany VIII in Dance

Her noble husband was soon fast asleep. Daenerys could only twist and turn beside him. She wanted to shake him, wake him, make him hold her, kiss her, fuck her again, but even if he did, he would fall back to sleep again afterward, leaving her alone in the darkness. She wondered what Daario was doing. Was he restless as well? Was he thinking about her? Did he love her, truly? Did he hate her for marrying Hizdahr? I should never have taken him into my bed. He was only a sellsword, no fit consort for a queen, and yet …

I knew that all along, but I did it anyway.

“My queen?” said a soft voice in the darkness. Dany flinched.

“Who is there?”

“Only Missandei.” The Naathi scribe moved closer to the bed. “This one heard you crying.”

“Crying? I was not crying. Why would I cry? I have my peace, I have my king, I have everything a queen might wish for. You had a bad dream, that was all.”

“As you say, Your Grace.” She bowed and made to go.

“Stay,” said Dany. “I do not wish to be alone.”

Dany was crying here, right?

When does Tyrion find out Barristan is with Dany?  It seems Illyrio mentions him almost in passing and Tyrion ponders it later when Illyrio is sleeping:

“Let us hope this dream was not prophetic. You are a clever imp, just as Varys said, and Daenerys will have need of clever men about her. Ser Barristan is a valiant knight and true; but none, I think, has ever called him cunning.”

Am I missing something before this?

7 hours ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

This may not be a small question but anyways... 

What is to be made of this scene from Dany VIII in Dance

Dany was crying here, right?

I think the point is that she loves Daario and is grieving for what might have been, and is now impossible.

58 minutes ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

I think the point is that she loves Daario and is grieving for what might have been, and is now impossible.

I should have used the bold feature. 

I was more curious about the interaction between Dany and Missandei. My best guess is that Dany was actually crying, but that is not 100% clear from the text. And if she was crying it is obvious that Missandei knows. So why does Dany lie to her? The most obvious answer is so Missandei isn't seeing Dany being vulnerable, but Missandei has already witnessed so much with Dany why should she be like that? 

I guess I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts or ideas about this.

4 hours ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

I was more curious about the interaction between Dany and Missandei. My best guess is that Dany was actually crying, but that is not 100% clear from the text. And if she was crying it is obvious that Missandei knows. So why does Dany lie to her? The most obvious answer is so Missandei isn't seeing Dany being vulnerable, but Missandei has already witnessed so much with Dany why should she be like that? 

I took Dany's initial reaction as just a instinctive reaction, putting up her guard as not to be seen vunerable, as you said. She was caught off guard, and unaware that Missandei was present, afterall. I think once it registered to her who it was, and that Missandei knew, she let her guard down again. Her telling Missandei to stay was her way of opening up to her, and admitting that she was upset, and crying.

15 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Thanks for the SSM, Rhaenys_Targaryen. I missed that one.  Since he was heir it would make sense for him to have been married prior to Aegon III's death. Maybe Daeron's wife just hasn't been invented yet.

Well, Daeron was only fourteen years old. Definitly not too young for a betrothal, but not necessarily at an age where the absence of a betrothal was odd. Look at Rhaenyra, for example. She was Viserys's heir, and discussions about who she should marry had been ongoing for a while, but a decision was only made when she was 16-17 years old.

Like I said, perhaps he was married but his wife is simply not mentioned in neither text nor family tree (we know of several Targaryens for this is the case). He could even have been betrothed without it having been mentioned, especially considering the text focuses on the war during Daeron's reign, and not much else.

But perhaps he was neither. Perhaps he was waiting to make a decision about his own wife, and basing his decision on how hiw wars turned out. (For example, if Dorne remained subdued and the Stepstones could be made pirate-free to allow for trade, Daeron might not believe it to be necessary to make an alliance by offering his own hand in marriage, and instead taken his youngest sister to wife, whereas any troubles in his plans (as happened) would need him to keep the option of betrothing himself to the daughter of a wealthy and powerful ally open).

There are several possibilities.

14 hours ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

I think not wanting to appear vulnerable is part of it, but maybe also that she doesn't want anyone to know how unhappy she is or how much she still wants Daario. Of course anyone with eyes already knows it, but Dany may not be aware of how widespread such knowledge is. Could be partly denial on her part as well. Telling herself that she has everything she should want and everything she should need, so there's no point in feeling like she's missing something.

50 minutes ago, Sandokan I Ironborn said:

Hi,

Just read Red Wedding chapters,

came back on Ghost of High Heart chapters (pretty nice foreshadowings there!). I was just thinking about "the grief of Summerhall"... what happened at Summerhall ? Maybe I missed something in the text, so I didn't create a topic for that.

Summerhall burned down the day Rhaegar was born. Aegon V, Duncan the Tall, Duncan the Small, Jenny of Oldstones and others died. The exact circumstances of what happened are unclear but Aegon was trying to hatch dragon eggs. 

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Tragedy_at_Summerhall

I have a question about the number of GoT seasons. Which of the following is true:

1. Has the 7th season been confirmed as the FINAL season? 
2. Has it been confirmed that there will be at least one other season after season 7?
3. Or is nothing certain yet? 

18 minutes ago, Liaraeyne said:

I have a question about the number of GoT seasons. Which of the following is true:

2. Has it been confirmed that there will be at least one other season after season 7?

This is the forum for discussion about the books. 

24 minutes ago, Liaraeyne said:

1. No

2. Not yet but it is only a matter of time. According to HBO's programming director, D&D are still figuring out how many episodes will be required.

http://winteriscoming.net/2017/01/14/game-thrones-season-8-still-hold-number-epiodes/

17 hours ago, RumHam said:

Summerhall burned down the day Rhaegar was born. Aegon V, Duncan the Tall, Duncan the Small, Jenny of Oldstones and others died. The exact circumstances of what happened are unclear but Aegon was trying to hatch dragon eggs. 

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Tragedy_at_Summerhall

Oh, interesting ! Thanks for the link, so we still don't now why these lords were together at this accurate place ? Has this castle something to do with dragon magic, or something ? And was the Ghost of High Heart present there ? (she talks about "Jenny" in ASOS, so...)

24 minutes ago, Sandokan I Ironborn said:

Oh, interesting ! Thanks for the link, so we still don't now why these lords were together at this accurate place ? Has this castle something to do with dragon magic, or something ? And was the Ghost of High Heart present there ? (she talks about "Jenny" in ASOS, so...)

Well, Summerhall was a Targaryen castle. But it was the most recently constructed one, built after Dragons went extinct. So I don't think it was chosen for any association with dragon magic. If that was what they were going for they probably would have chosen Dragonstone. (Which probably would not have been destroyed by the fire since it's made of that sculpted Valyrian stone.)

Aegon V's father Maeker held Sumerhall for a while while Aegon was young, so it may be that Aegon chose it because he just liked the place. We can probably safely assume they ruled out the Red Keep because they were concerned about the population of King's Landing should anything go wrong. 

Yes, the Ghost of High Heart was there and her "Jenny" was Jenny of Oldstones. There's a blurb in the worldbook about how Jenny brought a woods witch who she claimed was a child of the forest with her when she came to court. 

1 hour ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Should we assume that Ronnel Harclay was killed during the mutiny at Craster's Keep since that was the last time we heard from him, and he had been raised to a position of some prominence? 

He presumably died at Craster's Keep or during the journey south. 

Grenn stepped to the other side of the bed. "I fell asleep."

Jon's throat was dry. "Water," he gasped. Grenn brought it, and held it to his lips. "I saw the Fist," he said, after a long swallow. "The blood, and the dead horses . . . Noye said a dozen made it back . . . who?"

"Dywen did. Giant, Dolorous Edd, Sweet Donnel Hill, Ulmer, Left Hand Lew, Garth Greyfeather. Four or five more. Me." (ASOS Jon VI)

Named by Grenn:
1 Dywen
2 Bedwyck / Giant
3 Eddison Tollett
4 Donnel Hill
5 Ulmer
6 Left Hand Lew
7 Garth Greyfeather
8 Grenn

others confirmed alive:
9 Black Bernarr 
10 Kedge Whiteye 
11 Goady
12 Tim Stone

There may be stragglers as well; Jarman/Jarmen Buckwell returns to CB after being sent out on a scouting mission by Jeor.

11 minutes ago, Nittanian said:

He presumably died at Craster's Keep or during the journey south. 

Named by Grenn:
1 Dywen
2 Bedwyck / Giant
3 Eddison Tollett
4 Donnel Hill
5 Ulmer
6 Left Hand Lew
7 Garth Greyfeather
8 Grenn

others confirmed alive:
9 Black Bernarr 
10 Kedge Whiteye 
11 Goady
12 Tim Stone

There may be stragglers as well; Jarman/Jarmen Buckwell returns to CB after being sent out on a scouting mission by Jeor.

Should his entry in the Wiki be edited to reflect that? 

Archived