Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

44 minutes ago, The Dames do Moan said:

Is it ever confirmed anywhere in the cannon that Cersei somehow had Robert killed by the Boar? I think of it like it’s a given but don’t remember a specific POV where it’s confirmed.

To say Cersei had Robert killed by the boar is a bit much. Cersei gave Lancel the fortified wine, which made Robert too drunk to stand against the boar. She explains it herself in the second quote. The first demonstrates that, had Robert not encountered the boar, there would have been some other accident, doubtless..

AGOT, Eddard 15:

"Oh, indeed. Cersei gave him the wineskins, and told him it was Robert's favorite vintage." The eunuch shrugged. "A hunter lives a perilous life. If the boar had not done for Robert, it would have been a fall from a horse, the bite of a wood adder, an arrow gone astray … the forest is the abbatoir of the gods. It was not wine that killed the king. It was your mercy."

And ACOK, Tyrion I

“I  have  some  new  friends,”  Tyrion  confessed.  “You  won’t  like  them  at  all.  How  did  you  kill Robert?”

“He did  that  himself.  All  we did  was  help.  When  Lancel  saw  that  Robert  was  going  after  boar, he  gave  him  strong  wine.  His  favorite sour  red,  but  fortified,  three times  as  potent  as  he was  used to.  The  great  stinking  fool  loved  it.  He  could  have  stopped swilling  it  down  anytime  he  cared to, but  no,  he  drained  one  skin and  told  Lancel  to  fetch another.  The  boar  did  the  rest.  You  should have  been at  the  feast,  Tyrion.  There has  never  been  a boar  so  delicious.  They  cooked  it  with mushrooms  and  apples,  and  it  tasted  like  triumph.” 

On 12/22/2018 at 2:11 AM, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

To say Cersei had Robert killed by the boar is a bit much. Cersei gave Lancel the fortified wine, which made Robert too drunk to stand against the boar. She explains it herself in the second quote. The first demonstrates that, had Robert not encountered the boar, there would have been some other accident, doubtless..

AGOT, Eddard 15:

"Oh, indeed. Cersei gave him the wineskins, and told him it was Robert's favorite vintage." The eunuch shrugged. "A hunter lives a perilous life. If the boar had not done for Robert, it would have been a fall from a horse, the bite of a wood adder, an arrow gone astray … the forest is the abbatoir of the gods. It was not wine that killed the king. It was your mercy."

And ACOK, Tyrion I

“I  have  some  new  friends,”  Tyrion  confessed.  “You  won’t  like  them  at  all.  How  did  you  kill Robert?”

“He did  that  himself.  All  we did  was  help.  When  Lancel  saw  that  Robert  was  going  after  boar, he  gave  him  strong  wine.  His  favorite sour  red,  but  fortified,  three times  as  potent  as  he was  used to.  The  great  stinking  fool  loved  it.  He  could  have  stopped swilling  it  down  anytime  he  cared to, but  no,  he  drained  one  skin and  told  Lancel  to  fetch another.  The  boar  did  the  rest.  You  should have  been at  the  feast,  Tyrion.  There has  never  been  a boar  so  delicious.  They  cooked  it  with mushrooms  and  apples,  and  it  tasted  like  triumph.” 

Appreciate ya

thanks as always

I'm sure a million other people noticed already, but I wanted to smack myself for it.

No. Tywin mistrusted laughter. 

Tyrion is Tywin's son, not you

--------------

Why couldn't you just come joust with us, the way the king wanted? You wouldn't have gotten hurt. What would that have cost m'lord, to climb up on our dog and ride a tilt to please the boy? It was just a bit of fun.

"They would have laughed at me,"

-------------

I've read ASOIAF more times than Tyrion would shake his stick at Lemore, but somehow that connection was obvious but never really spelled out. Well durrrr. That Jaime questions his aunt right after her quotes only underscores her point. Tywin wouldn't have needed to question himself.

8 hours ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

I'm sure a million other people noticed already, but I wanted to smack myself for it.

No. Tywin mistrusted laughter. 

Tyrion is Tywin's son, not you

--------------

Why couldn't you just come joust with us, the way the king wanted? You wouldn't have gotten hurt. What would that have cost m'lord, to climb up on our dog and ride a tilt to please the boy? It was just a bit of fun.

"They would have laughed at me,"

-------------

I've read ASOIAF more times than Tyrion would shake his stick at Lemore, but somehow that connection was obvious but never really spelled out. Well durrrr. That Jaime questions his aunt right after her quotes only underscores her point. Tywin wouldn't have needed to question himself.

So....did you have a question? :P 

(I think you probably meant to post in wow I never noticed that)

• 2 weeks later...

@DominusNovus No, we don't.

But if you'd like an opnion on this, that's what I've answered previously in this same thread:

Spoiler
  1. Oldstones is located between Seagard and Raventree Hall, so that, cartographically speaking, there is a chance of being a Blackwood or Mallister possession.
  2. However, I tend to believe that Oldstone is located in the lands of one of the branches of House Vance, since:
  • it was the andal Armistead Vance who defeated Tristfer IV Mudd ("the Hammer") and had Edmure Tully switch to his side, granting him the lands where Riverrun would be raised; (my point - Vance took Mudd's lands and retained the northernmost part of them)
  • both branches of House Vance, House Tully, House Blackwood, House Bracken, and House Smallwood all made an alliance against Humfrey I Teague. We know the locations of all the rebel houses' seats (save both House Vances') and they all are contigous neighbors of each other from north to south, respectively. So, it sounded to me like both Houses Vance were the northernmost of them. (my point - it fits well with my previous assumption)

Looking back to it, I feel my last arguments lack accuracy. However, I think it still makes a good point, especially considering the little information we have.

Question regarding the Baratheon position relative to the Stormlords:

We know that the Tyrells are held in some small amount of scorn by their bannermen, due to being elevated Stewards. Meanwhile, House Tully has a similar problem, since they were raised up over the Riverlands by Aegon, even if their House has just as good a pedigree as any Andal house on their region.

Do we know of any similar friction with the Baratheons, a house established by a bastard? Or did the stormlords decide that they’re basically just the Durrandon dynasty, and due the same level of respect as that ancient house? Or that, since Orys is a Targ bastard, thats not so bad?

How do other people pronounce Velaryon? I always found that name to be a little uninspired, but reading Fire and Blood has given me a better appreciation of this family. I've heard several people pronounce it the same as Valyrian, but I personally say Vel-arhhh(like a pirate)-ree-on. That makes more sense to me. 

2 minutes ago, GoWesteros said:

How do other people pronounce Velaryon? I always found that name to be a little uninspired, but reading Fire and Blood has given me a better appreciation of this family. I've heard several people pronounce it the same as Valyrian, but I personally say Vel-arhhh(like a pirate)-ree-on. That makes more sense to me. 

I suck at this but Ve- lah - rion as well. 

3 minutes ago, GoWesteros said:

'rion' like lion? I think that is where we differ friend. I would say reeon. I suppose it really could be either.

Nah, I was thinking like Dondarrion. I told ya I suck at this. 

10 minutes ago, DominusNovus said:

Do we have any particular ideas of where bats can be found in quantity? I know that Harrenhal is fairly famous for its bats, and Sothoryos has its vampire bats. Anywhere else?

Bloodraven's cave

As Hodor he explored the caves. He found chambers full of bones, shafts that plunged deep into the earth, a place where the skeletons of gigantic bats hung upside down from the ceiling. (ADWD Bran III)

Casterly Rock

The Rock has been a habitation for men for thousands of years. Before the coming of the First Men it seems likely that the children of the forest and giants made their homes in the great sea-carved caverns at its base. Bears, lions, wolves, and bats have also been known to make their lairs within, along with countless lesser creatures. (TWOIAF Casterly Rock)

Archived