Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

18 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Did Tyrion leave the cached wildfire buried under King's Landing? Or was it all used during the Battle on the Blackwater? 

5 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

There had to be a bit left if Cersei was able to use it to burn the Tower of the Hand, right? Or did she have them make more?

This implies that the wildfire Cersei used was newly made

Jaime ignored that. “If these flames spread beyond the tower, you may end up burning down the castle whether you mean to or not. Wildfire is treacherous.”
“Lord Hallyne has assured me that his pyromancers can control the fire.” The Guild of Alchemists had been brewing fresh wildfire for a fortnight. “Let all of King’s Landing see the flames. It will be a lesson to our enemies.”

11 minutes ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

This implies that the wildfire Cersei used was newly made

Jaime ignored that. “If these flames spread beyond the tower, you may end up burning down the castle whether you mean to or not. Wildfire is treacherous.”
“Lord Hallyne has assured me that his pyromancers can control the fire.” The Guild of Alchemists had been brewing fresh wildfire for a fortnight. “Let all of King’s Landing see the flames. It will be a lesson to our enemies.”

Gotcha.

I guess not all of the wildfire was used. Just what was found (300 under the dragonpit), already stored and made a Cersei's request just before the Blackwater (and then after for the Tower burning).

Storm, Jamie V says this.

"So His Grace commanded his alchemists to place caches of wildfire all over King's Landing. Beneath Baelor's Sept and the hovels of Flea Bottom, under stables and storehouses, at all seven gates, even in the cellars of the Red Keep itself."

6 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Gotcha.

I guess not all of the wildfire was used. Just what was found (300 under the dragonpit), already stored and made a Cersei's request just before the Blackwater (and then after for the Tower burning).

Storm, Jamie V says this.

"So His Grace commanded his alchemists to place caches of wildfire all over King's Landing. Beneath Baelor's Sept and the hovels of Flea Bottom, under stables and storehouses, at all seven gates, even in the cellars of the Red Keep itself."

The wildfire under Baelor's Sept had also been found before the Blackwater, and presumably used in the battle.

I know there is a saying or quote or something that states something like...

"If the brothers fall, so does the wall"

I have been searching the search site with no results. It could be my search word combo. Does this sound familiar to anyone else?

10 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I know there is a saying or quote or something that states something like...

"If the brothers fall, so does the wall"

I have been searching the search site with no results. It could be my search word combo. Does this sound familiar to anyone else?

It's said in connection with Coldhands not passing the Wall

The monsters cannot pass so long as the Wall stands and the men of the Night's Watch stay true, that's what Old Nan used to say. He came to meet us at the Wall, but he could not pass. He sent Sam instead, with that wildling girl." 

Meera's gloved hand tightened around the shaft of her frog spear. "Who sent you? Who is this three-eyed crow?"

Bran I a Dance with Dragons

28 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Awesome! That was quick. Thank you :thumbsup:

I kept searching in a Jon and Sam POV.

I knew it was Bran but thought it was in one of the Old Nan stories. As a general rule of thumb I assume anything to do with Northern history and/or Northern myths/legends comes from Bran's POV 

I think this qualifies as a "small question."

With all the focus on lemongate, I kind of forgot how this is usually read:

The door loomed before her, the red door, so close, so close, the hall was a blur around her, the cold receding behind. And now the stone was gone and she flew across the Dothraki sea, high and higher, the green rippling beneath, and all that lived and breathed fled in terror from the shadow of her wings. She could smell home, she could see it, there, just beyond that door, green fields and great stone houses and arms to keep her warm, there. She threw open the door.
GOT, Daenerys IX

So here the red door is associated with "green fields and great stone houses."

We all know there are no green fields in Braavos, right? So what's the common take on this quote?

9 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

We all know there are no green fields in Braavos, right? So what's the common take on this quote?

Waking the Dragon will get her home, the red door, the Dothraki Sea, and Westeros, but whose arms will keep her warm? She opens the door and sees the dragon...

And saw her brother Rhaegar, mounted on a stallion as black as his armor. Fire glimmered red through the narrow eye slit of his helm. "The last dragon," Ser Jorah's voice whispered faintly. "The last, the last." Dany lifted his polished black visor. The face within was her own.

But she, not Rhaegar, is the last dragon.

Come, drink with me brother. Have a taste of this...

5 hours ago, Rippounet said:

It's not a literal memory here. It's about her idea of home, and what she most desires. The green fields and great stone houses means Westeros. She thinks of that as her true home and ultimate destiny, due to what Viserys has taught her as she has grown up. Or so I read it anyway

9 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

It's not a literal memory here. It's about her idea of home, and what she most desires. The green fields and great stone houses means Westeros. She thinks of that as her true home and ultimate destiny, due to what Viserys has taught her as she has grown up. Or so I read it anyway

^So do I. When the readers met her, the house with the red door is the only home she'd known. Afters, she feels home when she dreams of the Dothraki see, however she'd become a queen at Slavers' Bay. I think this has to play in the aftermath.

12 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Sounds like all of the old stuff, at least the stuff that was found, was used. Otherwise, Cersei wouldna need new stuff. 

Was Viserion's size ever compared to Rhaegal's size? 

There's this, but it does not indicate which of the two is larger (assuming such a thing is what you are looking for)

Rhaegal and Viserion were the size of small dogs, Drogon only a little larger, and any dog would have outweighed them; they were all wings and neck and tail, lighter than they looked.

According to Quentyn, Rhaegel's head is comparable in size to a horse's head, but he makes no comparable statement regarding Viserion

The dragon’s head was larger than a horse’s, and the neck stretched on and on, uncoiling like some great green serpent as the head rose, until those two glowing bronze eyes were staring down at him.

2 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

There's this, but it does not indicate which of the two is larger (assuming such a thing is what you are looking for)

Rhaegal and Viserion were the size of small dogs, Drogon only a little larger, and any dog would have outweighed them; they were all wings and neck and tail, lighter than they looked.

According to Quentyn, Rhaegel's head is comparable in size to a horse's head, but he makes no comparable statement regarding Viserion

The dragon’s head was larger than a horse’s, and the neck stretched on and on, uncoiling like some great green serpent as the head rose, until those two glowing bronze eyes were staring down at him.

Thanks but as you suspect, I am looking for relative size between the two. 

1 hour ago, winterfellbeyondthewall said:

Do we know who put the enchantment on the NF door, so that no one else than a Nights Watch brother could pass? Who put the enchantments on the wall itself any ways? The CotF maybe? 

Brandon the Builder, was it not? We do not know it.

Archived