Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

9 minutes ago, Yevah said:

Robert was king in King's Landing. Stannis was at Dragonstone. Renly was on the small counsel. Who was ruling at Storm's End? I know it passed to Renly but how was he ruling it while in King's Landing?

Renly had appointed Cortnay Penrose as his castellan, so presumably, Cortnay, possibly aided by Storm's End's maester, ruled the castle in Renly's absence.

19 minutes ago, dantares83 said:

why didnt he do anything then?

because keeping her just there in place was the most favourable thing for his own cause.

14 minutes ago, Yevah said:

Robert was king in King's Landing. Stannis was at Dragonstone. Renly was on the small counsel. Who was ruling at Storm's End? I know it passed to Renly but how was he ruling it while in King's Landing?

His castellan in his stead, as usual.

eta: @Rhaenys_Targaryen is too fast for me:

3 minutes ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Renly had appointed Cortnay Penrose as his castellan, so presumably, Cortnay, possibly aided by Storm's End's maester, ruled the castle in Renly's absence.

While her handmaids prepared the meal, Dany laid out the clothing she'd had made to her brother's measure: a tunic and leggings of crisp white linen, leather sandals that laced up to the knee, a bronze medallion belt, a leather vest painted with fire-breathing dragons. The Dothraki would respect him more if he looked less a beggar, she hoped, and perhaps he would forgive her for shaming him that day in the grass. He was still her king, after all, and her brother. They were both blood of the dragon.

She was arranging the last of his gifts—a sandsilk cloak, green as grass, with a pale grey border that would bring out the silver in his hair—when Viserys arrived, dragging Doreah by the arm.

Why was Daenerys giving Viserys a gift of Velaryon colors?  Any theories of this?

3 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

He kept her hidden in plain sight. 

3 hours ago, Jon Weirgaryen said:

because keeping her just there in place was the most favourable thing for his own cause.

why not just kill her since he was planning to betray the starks by then?

25 minutes ago, dantares83 said:

Because your plans can go either way, and as long as you have not yet carried them out, more favourable ways may play out. In any case, a hostage of your own is pretty much always better than a murdered Stark cub. And with the Arya-marriage-plan already in place, who better than the real Arya?

I think this bit from Dance is supposed to be a hint that he at least knew she was highborn. 

[Reek] did not understand. "My lord? I said—"

"—my lord, when you should have said m'lord. Your tongue betrays your birth with every word you say. If you want to sound a proper peasant, say it as if you had mud in your mouth, or were too stupid to realize it was two words, not just one."

I tend to think he didn't know it was Arya, at least at the time. It could have clicked for him later.

If he did know it was Arya, the only explanation I can think of is he wasn't sure and was waiting to see what she'd do. If she came to him and said "I'm your liege's sister" (and it's pretty weird that she didn't.) then he could be pretty sure it was her. If he just asks this random girl who looks like Arya Stark if she is Arya Stark then there's a good chance she might lie and claim to be Arya when she's not. Plus this way he keeps her close but has plausible deniability. If he acknowledged who she was he'd be expected to send her on home, and lose that potential bargaining chip. Remember the SSM about how he was keeping his options open basically right up until his dinner with Jaime and Brienne.

40 minutes ago, dantares83 said:

Arya is a very valuable hostage.  He hadn't officially switched sides at this point.  By making her a cupbearer, he essentially had her held hostage without her knowing it.  Roose couldn't acknowledge that he held Arya or that he knew who she was, otherwise at this point in the story he would obligated to return her to Robb. 

If Arya had not escaped Harrenhal, Roose would be free to use her in anyway he wanted.  If the Freys got cold feet at the Red Wedding, he could return her to Robb and likely receive lots of gratitude and reward from her return.  If the Red Wedding ensued as it did and he still held Arya, Roose could either sell her back to the Lannisters or use her a leverage to gain the North.  Given that Jeyne Poole (in the guise of Arya) married Ramsey, Roose would have likely married Arya off to him.

eta: :ninja:'d

I don't think Roose knew that his cupbearer was Arya. If he had, there was no way that he would have told her he was going to leave her behind in Harrenhal with Vargo Hoat. That was the catalyst for her decision to run off with Hotpie and Gendry. 

5 hours ago, dantares83 said:

why didn't Roose Bolton recognized Arya in Clash of Kings?

i mean she is his lord's daughter. 

To answer the original question, why would he recognize her? It's not clear when, or even if, they met before. If he had been introduced to Arya, it would have been years ago, when she was much younger. Roose would have marked Robb (his future liege lord), but it's unlikely he would have paid much attention to Arya.

4 minutes ago, Lommy's Shade said:

I don't think Roose knew that his cupbearer was Arya. If he had, there was no way that he would have told her he was going to leave her behind in Harrenhal with Vargo Hoat. That was the catalyst for her decision to run off with Hotpie and Gendry. 

This could be part of the whole "he's not 100% sure and trying to prompt her to reveal herself to him" thing. Remind me again what her reason for not doing so was? I'm not being sarcastic I really don't remember. 

23 minutes ago, RumHam said:

This could be part of the whole "he's not 100% sure and trying to prompt her to reveal herself to him" thing. Remind me again what her reason for not doing so was? I'm not being sarcastic I really don't remember. 

After she becomes Roose's cupbearer, she thinks the following...

She wished that Robett Glover and Ser Helman Tallhart would come back to Harrenhal, though; they had marched too quickly, before she’d been able to decide whether to trust them with her secret. 

So, she's not just looking for a northern Lord, she's looking for one who she feels is trustworthy and she can rely on. Roose, I would imagine, fails her test.

By the way, about my lord vs m'lord...

She bit her lip, groping for another name. Lommy had called her Lumpyhead, Sansa used Horseface, and her father’s men once dubbed her Arya Underfoot, but she did not think any of those were the sort of name he wanted.

“Nymeria,” she said. “Only she called me Nan for short.”

“You will call me my lord when you speak to me, Nan,” the lord said mildly. “You are too young to be a Brave Companion, I think, and of the wrong sex. Are you afraid of leeches, child?”

“They’re only leeches. My lord.”

“My squire could take a lesson from you, it would seem. Frequent leechings are the secret of a long life. A man must purge himself of bad blood. You will do, I think. For so long as I remain at Harrenhal, Nan, you shall be my cupbearer, and serve me at table and in chambers.”

This time she knew better than to say that she’d sooner work in the stables. “Yes, your lord. I mean, my lord.” 

It was Roose himself who told her to call him "my lord". So he may not have taken notice that she said my lord instead of m'lord.

22 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Nor do I, so I'd better re-read before answering... but I remember the Boltons used to be not-so-friendly bannermen of the Starks. And Roose is not actually inspiring trust.

3 hours ago, dantares83 said:

He was keeping his options open when he took Harrenhal. He materially betrayed Robb after he read Fat Walda's letter. Perhaps he reasoned the lass wouldna survive Vargo's lordship. 

5 hours ago, Isobel Harper said:

While her handmaids prepared the meal, Dany laid out the clothing she'd had made to her brother's measure: a tunic and leggings of crisp white linen, leather sandals that laced up to the knee, a bronze medallion belt, a leather vest painted with fire-breathing dragons. The Dothraki would respect him more if he looked less a beggar, she hoped, and perhaps he would forgive her for shaming him that day in the grass. He was still her king, after all, and her brother. They were both blood of the dragon.

She was arranging the last of his gifts—a sandsilk cloak, green as grass, with a pale grey border that would bring out the silver in his hair—when Viserys arrived, dragging Doreah by the arm.

Why was Daenerys giving Viserys a gift of Velaryon colors?  Any theories of this?

Those aren't Velaryon colours. Velaryon is sea green (more turquoise than grass green) and silver (not grey)

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Those aren't Velaryon colours. Velaryon is sea green (more turquoise than grass green) and silver (not grey)

True, they are not literally Velaryon colors, though also "green" (sea-green), and silver and grey are more or less interchangeable, no?  Maybe I was looking to much into the scene.

Archived