Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

5 hours ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

This is from Cersei V in Feast. She is, of course, talking about Rhaegar. I'm curious about why she thinks he has been wounded. This is happening during the tournament at Lannisport. Did something happen to Rhaegar? I think Cersei is just making a statement on the appearance of his eyes, like they look sad but I am not sure. I never know if I'm missing something... Thanks for your thoughts! 

I think she's just referring to his general sadness stemming from the fact that a lot of his family were burnt to death so that he could be born. 

21 hours ago, Clarrisa said:

From Bran II in Storm of Swords, when he is walking with Meera and Jojen

And Barristan the Bold twice donned a mystery knight's armor, the first time when he was only ten.

When was the second time? - I can't seem to find it.

Thanks!

It was the tourney when he unhorsed Dunk and Duncan, then was knighted by the King. It would make sense, if he was only 16 tilting at the tourney and was not yet knighted.

Yes here it is.

Knighted in his 16th year by King Aegon V Targaryen, after performing great feats of prowess as a mystery knight in the winter tourney at King’s Landing, defeating Prince Duncan the Small and Ser Duncan the Tall, Lord Commander of the Kingsguard. - ASoS p. 914

59 minutes ago, Ser Leftwich said:

It was the tourney when he unhorsed Dunk and Duncan, then was knighted by the King. It would make sense, if he was only 16 tilting at the tourney and was not yet knighted.

Yes here it is.

Knighted in his 16th year by King Aegon V Targaryen, after performing great feats of prowess as a mystery knight in the winter tourney at King’s Landing, defeating Prince Duncan the Small and Ser Duncan the Tall, Lord Commander of the Kingsguard. - ASoS p. 914

Thank you!

15 hours ago, Isobel Harper said:

Does GRRM use the oxford comma?  I can't tell; he seems to always use two ands instead of commas: "x and y and z."

I did a search and found zero instances. 

20 hours ago, Isobel Harper said:

Does GRRM use the oxford comma?  I can't tell; he seems to always use two ands instead of commas: "x and y and z."

Sometimes he does:

"I've had the cold in me too, lordling." Gared pulled back his hood, giving Ser Waymar a good long look at the stumps where his ears had been. "Two ears, three toes, and the little finger off my left hand. I got off light. We found my brother frozen at his watch, with a smile on his face." (AGOT Prologue)

When the hole was deep enough, he lifted the old man's body in his arms and carried him there. He had been a small man, and slim; stripped of hauberk, helm, and sword belt, he seemed to weigh no more than a bag of leaves. (THK)

The sun was westering as he fed the horses. There were three; his swaybacked stot, the old man's palfrey, and Thunder, his warhorse, who was ridden only in tourney and battle. (THK)

"Ser Gawen of House Swann, Lord of Stonehelm on the Cape of Wrath." A pair of swans, one black and one white, fought furiously on his arms. Lord Gawen's armor, cloak, and horse bardings were a riot of black and white as well, down to the stripes on his scabbard and lance. (THK)

As the sun was going down, Dunk marched their little company down into the cellar and forced them all to have a bath, even those who'd had one just last winter. Afterward Sam Stoops' wife had bowls of stew for all, thick with carrots, onions, and barley. (TSS)

On 26 April 2016 at 1:24 PM, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

This is from Cersei V in Feast. She is, of course, talking about Rhaegar. I'm curious about why she thinks he has been wounded. This is happening during the tournament at Lannisport. Did something happen to Rhaegar? I think Cersei is just making a statement on the appearance of his eyes, like they look sad but I am not sure. I never know if I'm missing something... Thanks for your thoughts! 

Wounded, in my experience, can be used to mean someone who looks hurt emotionally, or has a generally melancholy demeanour. Rhaegar is described as such in the books, so I think Cersei is just noticing his sadness here

topic is small questions ...I have lots.... is LF Robins father? ...is  Summer with Bran?...when King Tom is dead who would be next in line for the iron throne? ....   Is there a map of the land north of the wall?

8 hours ago, Orrin Storm said:

Can anyone recall if Jon has an opinion of Roose Bolton before the Red Wedding, OR/AND does he have one from a POV after? 

I've only been able to find these quotes, all from ADWD:

Arya was always quick and clever, but in the end she's just a little girl, and Roose Bolton is not the sort who would be careless with a prize of such great worth.

What if Bolton never had his sister? This wedding could well be just some ruse to lure Stannis into a trap. Eddard Stark had never had any reason to complain of the Lord of the Dreadfort, so far as Jon knew, but even so he had never trusted him, with his whispery voice and his pale, pale eyes.

"Even in the north men fear the wroth of Tywin Lannister. Boltons make bad enemies as well. It is not happenstance that put a flayed man on their banners. They north rode with Robb, bled with him, died for him. They have supped on grief and death, and now you come to offer them another serving. Do you blame them if they hang back? Forgive me, Your Grace, but some will look at you and see only another doomed pretender."

"I see." Jon's tone was wary. What does he want of me? "I have no love for Lord Bolton or his son, but the Night's Watch cannot take up arms against them. Our vows prohibit—"

17 minutes ago, ghostdancer said:

topic is small questions ...I have lots.... (1) is LF Robins father? ...(2) is  Summer with Bran?...(3)when King Tom is dead who would be next in line for the iron throne? ....   (4)Is there a map of the land north of the wall?

(1) LF being Robert Arryn's father is a theory, nothing has yet been proven. Robert was born in early 292 AC. Meanwhile, LF was appointed a position in Gulltown in 289 AC. Because he was so good in his job, he was brought to KL by Jon Arryn, but we don't know when that happened (and thus, we don't know whether LF had arrived at court before or after Lysa had become pregnant with Robert). With Robert's birth in early 292 AC, Lysa will have gotten pregnant mid-291 AC. Meanwhile, LF came to court after he had "soon" distinguished himself. What is soon? At the moment, we can't say.

(2) Summer enters the cave with Bran

The next he knew, he was lying on a bed of pine needles beneath a dark stone roof. The cave. I’m in the cave. His mouth still tasted of blood where he’d bitten his tongue, but a fire was burning to his right, the heat washing over his face, and he had never felt anything so good. Summer was there, sniffing round him, and Hodor, soaking wet. Meera cradled Jojen’s head in her lap. And the Arya thing
stood over them, clutching her torch.

And remains there, going outside at times to hunt

The moon was a crescent, thin and sharp as the blade of a knife. Snowflakes drifted down soundlessly to cloak the soldier pines and sentinels in white. The drifts grew so deep that they covered the entrance to the caves, leaving a white wall that Summer had to dig through whenever he went outside to join his pack and hunt. Bran did not oft range with them in those days, but some nights he watched them from above.

(3) As Tommen has no children, nor any brothers, presumably, Myrcella is his heir, being the only sibling Tommen has left.

(4) In the story, maps are mentioned of the lands north of the Wall, but they only go so far (IIRC, Sam mentions them in Clash and Storm, when on the Great Ranging). The Land of Always Winter does not appear to have been mapped. For us fans, we have the map "Beyond the Wall" in The Lands of Ice and Fire, displaying the Wall, the lands of the Haunted Forest, the Frostfangs and the lands of the Thenns, and north of that only the ice that is the Land of Always Winter.

35 minutes ago, DarkSister1001 said:

The bedwarmer that Illyrio sent to Tyrion said that she was bought for the king.  Would that be (f)Aegon?

I'd assume Viserys. 

33 minutes ago, ghostdancer said:

THX RT....not a book reader ...yet. I keep bouncing around this site trying to gain knowledge.... getting spoilers from the books..but that only confuses me ...just trying to enjoy the film version.

;) 

3 hours ago, ghostdancer said:

THX RT....not a book reader ...yet. I keep bouncing around this site trying to gain knowledge.... getting spoilers from the books..but that only confuses me ...just trying to enjoy the film version.

They've really evolved into two different stories. 

Archived