Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

1 minute ago, DarkSister1001 said:

Every single time I think of Jon's fate at the end of ADwD or Season 5 all I can think of is Billy Crystal in Princess Bride.  "He's only mostly dead."

We can only hope his resurrection involves bellows and chocolate.

10 hours ago, Gregor'sBrainTumor said:

Is there any indication of the current or future significance of the Isle of Faces? 

I remember an interview where Martin was asked if the Green Men were going to play a role in later books, and he replied something to the effect of "gee I can't sneak anything past you guys." I can't find it though, maybe someone else remembers what I'm talking about. I think it was very old. 

First of all, I'm really sorry for my intrustion in this part of the forum because I'm not a book reader, if you allow me to ask a question, when I look to the stories I have a personnal opinion that the main characters got and are getting too much help from the author, I have the feeling that GRRM is spawing characters just to help the main characters, maybe i'm wrong but I never seen a main character progressing in his story on his own, they got help in every corner of the story, am I wrong about this view? I'm asking this question because this point of view made me look at the story as a bit unrealistic and unbelievable, thanks 

1 hour ago, House Cambodia said:

^ How does someone 'progress' without interacting with others?

Sorry but this exactly my problem, for many occurences I didn't see those like interactions, I see it like the characters accompanying the main characters in their journeys are just there to make their lifes easier, and each time a main character got a problem some other characters will come and resolve his problem to make him progress in his story, 

^ You mean like Tyrion coming to help Daenerys, Jaime helping  Brienne, Littlefinger helping Sansa, the Hound helping Arya - they are 'just there to make their lives easier'? Not sure many would agree with you. All the main characters have their own motivations and agendas. Whilst the books show that much more deeply, I'd say the show does a decent enough job.

8 hours ago, RumHam said:

I remember an interview where Martin was asked if the Green Men were going to play a role in later books, and he replied something to the effect of "gee I can't sneak anything past you guys." I can't find it though, maybe someone else remembers what I'm talking about. I think it was very old. 

If it's the one I'm thinking of it comes from a fairly long transcript of...well, I guess it was just a talk with GRRM and a few others (I think Ran and Linda are asking questions during it, as well as others). It is pretty much what you said though. "I was wondering if would ever see the Isle of faces..." "Gee, I can't slip anything by you...yes" (paraphrasing)

10 hours ago, Asma Ben Hamouda said:

First of all, I'm really sorry for my intrustion in this part of the forum because I'm not a book reader, if you allow me to ask a question, when I look to the stories I have a personnal opinion that the main characters got and are getting too much help from the author, I have the feeling that GRRM is spawing characters just to help the main characters, maybe i'm wrong but I never seen a main character progressing in his story on his own, they got help in every corner of the story, am I wrong about this view? I'm asking this question because this point of view made me look at the story as a bit unrealistic and unbelievable, thanks 

I think I found your problem.  I've got nothing against the show, but the shift in format fundamentally alters the way characters are developed.  Each book chapter is written from the point of view of a character so we get their internal thoughts and a much better understanding of who they are.

11 hours ago, Asma Ben Hamouda said:

How else would the story progress?  They can't all just die. (GRRM, if you're reading this please don't take that as a challenge).

In Clash of Kings, Robb finds a goat track that enables him to bypass the Golden Tooth and enter the Westerlands unmolested. It's just wide enough for his cavalry to ride single file.

So how the hell did he get all that fodder that he nabbed back to the Riverlands? Let's assume the track is wide enough for a wagon, but what about the thousands of cattle that one of the Mormont gels is driving east? They can't go past the Tooth. Can you drive cattle single file down a goat track? Or is there another way?

In AGoT, when Robb and Jon find the direwolf pups, the party finds that the mother died because of an antler lodged in neck (assumed to be from a fight). Catelyn interprets this as a divine sign (direwolf killed by stag). Did this prophecy come true when Joffrey had Ned killed? Or is it yet to come, as Joffrey was no true Baratheon? I've been puzzling over it for a while. Could be connected to Stannis, who is currently up North and has spent a good amount of time at the Wall with Jon... and if not Jon, there are other Starks in the North as well.

4 minutes ago, Fox of House McCloud said:

In AGoT, when Robb and Jon find the direwolf pups, the party finds that the mother died because of an antler lodged in neck (assumed to be from a fight). Catelyn interprets this as a divine sign (direwolf killed by stag). Did this prophecy come true when Joffrey had Ned killed? Or is it yet to come, as Joffrey was no true Baratheon? I've been puzzling over it for a while. Could be connected to Stannis, who is currently up North and has spent a good amount of time at the Wall with Jon... and if not Jon, there are other Starks in the North as well.

IMO it has already come to pass.  Either bc Robert put Ned in a dangerous position by asking him to be Hand or bc Joff, a Baratheon in name at least, ordered his head struck off. 

5 minutes ago, Fox of House McCloud said:

I don't feel like it was a prophecy per se, nor that it referred to any particular person - more an omen that the stag (House Baratheon) would be the end of the direwolf (House Stark), or at least a danger to it. Which it was: in choosing to aid his old friend Robert Baratheon, Ned set in motion a series of events which would lead to the almost total destruction of his house.

6 hours ago, The Wolves said:

What are the twelve houses of the havens? 

Jon mentions it in one of his ASOS chapters when talking about stars and I just wanted to know if GRRM have ever named them. Thanks. 

Twelve houses of the heavens are constellations. They have different names in different cultures, but in Westeros they are known as:

- Crone's Lantern

- Galley

-Ghost

- Ice Dragon

- King's Crown (called Cradle by the Free Folk)

- Moonmaid 

- Shadowcat

- Sow

- Stallion (called Horned Lord by the Free Folk)

- Sword of the Morning

There are also 7 known Wanderers (most likely planets). Followers of the Faith of the Seven belive that each of them is associted with one of gods. Red Wanderer is Smith, it's also known as Thief among the Free Folk.

You can read more about astronomy of Westeros here: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Astronomy

Archived