Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

That one is familiar even though I don't remember every detail to that one.

Nothing about an Umber heritage to Val you can remember??? You tend to remember lots of stuff :thumbsup:

The only theories I can think of on Val are to do with her Weirwood brooch. Something to do with priestesses and matrilineal heritage or something. I don't really recall too well though since I wasn't really invested in it. I think it was a Victarion Chainbreaker theory but I could even be mistaken about that too. 

Pretty sure Bran Vras had a whole thing about that, too.

Still not Umber-related but I thought it might interest The Fattest Leech anyway. :)

2 hours ago, Sir Matthis Light said:

NP^_^, but theres a theory Blackfyre is Longclaw :huh:? Why lol? They are two diffrent swords lmao. But do you think its possible that Brightroar, BF, and DS will be reclaimed? I know Tommen II took it on his voyage to Valyria and never returned, but it doesn't say he drowned.

Whos Ran? The cartooney pics of Blackfyre and dark sister might not have the smokey color, but they do have ripples if you look closely

I believe Jon Con has Blackfyre, Ilyrio gave it to them in the chapter where he gave them Tyrion.  In an earlier version of the chapter 1 of the chests he gives them is just a sword, I think he wanted it to be less obvious.

At this time I personally think Darksister is a bit of a plot hole, but maybe GRRM can write it well enough to work out.  The last known wielder was BR, who was banished to the wall.  I find it hard to believe he'd be allowed to take the sword under the circumstances, Jeor volunteered he was not exiled.  However if BR didn't take it then why didn't Rhaegar use it?  Maybe there is something I'm missing but I think it's a bit of a hole as I said.

As for Brightroar, idk, it's been mentioned enough times, but I just don't know how it would be recovered.  Some people think the corsair king is Gerion Lannister, if true I think that would be the most likely way for the sword to re-emerge.

1 hour ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

I believe Jon Con has Blackfyre, Ilyrio gave it to them in the chapter where he gave them Tyrion.  In an earlier version of the chapter 1 of the chests he gives them is just a sword, I think he wanted it to be less obvious.

At this time I personally think Darksister is a bit of a plot hole, but maybe GRRM can write it well enough to work out.  The last known wielder was BR, who was banished to the wall.  I find it hard to believe he'd be allowed to take the sword under the circumstances, Jeor volunteered he was not exiled.  However if BR didn't take it then why didn't Rhaegar use it?  Maybe there is something I'm missing but I think it's a bit of a hole as I said.

As for Brightroar, idk, it's been mentioned enough times, but I just don't know how it would be recovered.  Some people think the corsair king is Gerion Lannister, if true I think that would be the most likely way for the sword to re-emerge.

Ohhhh interesting I hope thats true.

47 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

There were 31 weirwoods stumps around the summit of High Heart. Why 31? 

An inversion of the sacred 13? Since this scene is set up so much like Bran in the cave with Bloodraven (who may not be the true 3EC that is calling to Bran), this could be evidence that something is wrong. Added to say, cuz I just thought of this now... isn't this when the Ghost of HH associates Arya with death? This also seems like a clue (or whatever) that something is not as it should be.

Or... it could be the whiskey talking???

1 hour ago, The Fattest Leech said:

An inversion of the sacred 13? Since this scene is set up so much like Bran in the cave with Bloodraven (who may not be the true 3EC that is calling to Bran), this could be evidence that something is wrong. Added to say, cuz I just thought of this now... isn't this when the Ghost of HH associates Arya with death? This also seems like a clue (or whatever) that something is not as it should be.

Or... it could be the whiskey talking???

To whom in ASOIAF is the number 13 sacred? 

27 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Sacred may have been a little cheeky (I warned it you it could be the whiskey), but it is one of those numbers that comes up repeatedly like three and seven. From when girls flower, to how many ships are needed, to the Qartheen, to more ships in another port, thirteen thousand poor fellows, the Nights King ruled for thirteen years in the thirteenth castle, etc. Adding, the Dothraki are weary of things happening in thirteens and there was a heart tree with thirteen marks on it that I am only remembering now and will look more in to in a second after I make more coffee. (I think something else about the Others, but I could be misremembering something.)

There seems to just be that one reference to the number thirty-one in this instance... which happens to be at weirwoods. It was just an idea, you don't have to accept it (it is from me), but there are no other clear references to thirty-one I can recall or find. Since Arya was starting down her dark path about here and we have Ghost of HH reaction to her, and the weird Bloodraveney scene under the hill around this time. It feels like a what is up is down type of situation.

49 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

LM, the trend is that absolutely all things and absolutely all people in Martin’s books are a representation of something or something else. I need to understand that Martin, in his supreme wisdom uses every mythical creation from every source imaginable since the beginning of time. Martin’s story is a continuing saga of repeating every other work of fantasy fiction that is known to man. It’s all in the parallelism & symbolism rather than in ambiguity & vagueness of his writing or storytelling.

It is time that I face the undeniable fact that Martin’s story is so in depth & so complicated by layers that I will never ever comprehend his actual story. :smoking:

11 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

LM, the trend is that absolutely all things and absolutely all people in Martin’s books are a representation of something or something else. I need to understand that Martin, in his supreme wisdom uses every mythical creation from every source imaginable since the beginning of time. Martin’s story is a continuing saga of repeating every other work of fantasy fiction that is known to man. It’s all in the parallelism & symbolism rather than in ambiguity & vagueness of his writing or storytelling.

It is time that I face the undeniable fact that Martin’s story is so in depth & so complicated by layers that I will never ever comprehend his actual story. :smoking:

Well dayum! If I knew it was "screw with a MILF" day then I would have put on something extra comfortable. ;)

20 hours ago, Sir Matthis Light said:

NP^_^, but theres a theory Blackfyre is Longclaw :huh:? Why lol? They are two diffrent swords lmao. But do you think its possible that Brightroar, BF, and DS will be reclaimed? I know Tommen II took it on his voyage to Valyria and never returned, but it doesn't say he drowned.

Whos Ran? The cartooney pics of Blackfyre and dark sister might not have the smokey color, but they do have ripples if you look closely

Sorry, Ran is the forum user name of Elio Garcia one of the co-authors of the book. I still can't see the ripples in those images but I'll grab my book later and look closer. 

Edit: I do see marks on Blackfyre and Dark Sister, but they're not what I would call ripples. 

4 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Yes. RumHam should be along shortly with the SSM...

I only had to copy it from a few pages back

I assume that the Night's Watch does not pay the Black Brothers any wages in coin for their service - they get their provisions for free, after all.

What I was wondering...how do the Brothers pay the whores in Moletown? Since they're not using coin, do they pay in naturalia filched from Night Watch' stores?

I guess some women so far north would choose such a life (given that life is relatively harsher than farther south), even if they are not paid in coin...

A lot of the Mole's Town transactions are paid by barter, certaintly, but there is coin at the Wall... not much, though, especially these days... (see following answer). Some coin comes north with the highborn brothers... someone like Ser Waymar Royce undoubtedly arrived well heeled, and I imagine families send gifts and such as well... and there's trade that goes in and out of Eastwatch...

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Various_ASoIaF_Questions

8 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Only thing that springs to mind is the Night's King was the 13th Lord Commander. I am sure there are other things but the only thing off the top of my head.

On 12.3.2016 at 5:13 AM, Lord Wraith said:

Only thing that springs to mind is the Night's King was the 13th Lord Commander. I am sure there are other things but the only thing off the top of my head.

Thirteen is a bad numer, it is known! Just ask Jhiqui and Irri! (Dany III Dance)

9 minutes ago, The Snow Bear said:

Thirteen is a bad numer, it is known! Just ask Jhiqui and Irri! (Dany III Dance)

Good...

“Thirteen is a bad number, Khaleesi,” murmured Jhiqui, in the Dothraki tongue. “It is known.”

“It is known,” Irri agreed.

Archived