grrm confirms twist for character not in show

TheLightning Lord

2 minutes ago, Inigo said:

It will finish his original vision. The broader strokes at least. GRRM seems to have begun making changes to remain relevant rather than what is best for the story. It's not honest

GRRM makes no changes that will change the overall plot he has had in mind since the beginning. He has reiterated this repeatedly, that no matter what the show does, he still has his original vision in his head. If there are differences between the final endings of the show and the books it will be because D&D changed things or because GRRM never gave them enough information to pull of an exactly similar ending to begin with.

It will finish his original vision. The broader strokes at least. GRRM seems to have begun making changes to remain relevant rather than what is best for the story. It's not honest

Well considering the show the last few seasons has butchered several storylines (lady stoneheart and dorne especially) I think martin has no worries about his tale. He planned this twist a while back and I'm pretty sure he informed D&D of it, they just didn't care. The show will never be the "true story", just an adaptation.

8 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Making changes "to stay relevant"? Sorry, but that's a joke. 

4 minutes ago, Sir Dominus said:

Well considering the show the last few seasons has butchered several storylines (lady stoneheart and dorne especially) I think martin has no worries about his tale. He planned this twist a while back and I'm pretty sure he informed D&D of it, they just didn't care. The show will never be the "true story", just an adaptation.

Exactly, and as an adaptation, it fails miserably. 

The first couple of seasons were worthy of being an adaptation, but now its a hollow shell in comparison to the books. All D&D care about is ratings. Which is good for them now, but their legacy will be tarnished by book lovers such as myself.

The first couple of seasons were worthy of being an adaptation, but now its a hollow shell in comparison to the books. All D&D care about is ratings. Which is good for them now, but their legacy will be tarnished by book lovers such as myself.

Well, it hasn't affected LOTR and Harry Potter.

4 minutes ago, Sir Dominus said:

Yup, I agree even if series 2 marks the start of the show's decline for me. But both 2 & 3, while I didn't really like them, were still ok-ish; but 4 & 5? :ack:

Exactly, and as an adaptation, it fails miserably. The first couple of seasons were worthy of being an adaptation, but now its a hollow shell in comparison to the books. All D&D care about is ratings. Which is good for them now, but their legacy will be tarnished by book lovers such as myself.

Tolkien is dead so we don't know how he feels as an author and there are some LoTR readers upset about the scourging of the shire not added in particular. The potter movies stayed mostly faithful to the books. No film or TV adaptation will be exactly perfect. Its impossible. But D&D have twisted the books to the point where its hardly recognized as Martins masterpiece.

5 minutes ago, farerb said:

I can't say anything about HP because I haven't read the books. As to LotR, while I don't like all of the decisions made my Jackson, I like the films very much. Love the books, and as Martin says, "the books are always better". Jackson shows immense respect for the source material. Comparing these adaptations (LotR and GoT) doesn't really work for me for that reason, D&D seem to have very little respect for the source material. 

I wonder how the LotR films would have turned out had Tolkien been around to tell Jackson, 

'no, this idea doesn't work because [insert author's explanation]. 

Because the Ds had this, they had Martin to consult with, and it seems they decided their ideas were better. Just as they seem to have decided that their takes on the characters and plots is better, even with Martin warning them about "butterflies turning into dragons" from the get-go. 

It has been a long time since the show is no more, for me, a faithful adaptation of the books. Not since season 2 and the House of the Undying. And I don't mean removing secondary story lines and characters. I mean completely changing main character's story for just shock value. Jackson stayed much, much more faithful to the book than D&D did.

I have no doubt who is and who will remain the mind behind ASoIaF. GRRM is welcome to change anything he thinks suitable. D&D lost any right to ask GRRM to stay on a previously agreed scenario. In fact, they should never have adapted a story that was not yet finished.

It has been a long time since the show is no more, for me, a faithful adaptation of the books. Not since season 2 and the House of the Undying. And I don't mean removing secondary story lines and characters. I mean completely changing main character's story for just shock value. Jackson stayed much, much more faithful to the book than D&D did.

I have no doubt who is and who will remain the mind behind ASoIaF. GRRM is welcome to change anything he thinks suitable. D&D lost any right to ask GRRM to stay on a previously agreed scenario. In fact, they should never have adapted a story that was not yet finished.

You know what... As much as I've enjoyed certain aspects of the show, I have to agree with your final sentence. I'm sure all parties involved feel a bit ambivalent with how things have ended up.

Archived