What would you ask the GRRM??? UPDATED

The Fattest Leech

1 - What were the circumstances surrounding Squire Dalbridge joining the Night's Watch? In Clash we hear that he was squire to a king (from memory I think Jaehaerys II, but I could be wrong).

2 - How much Dayne blood is required to become Sword of the Morning? Must it be the Lord of Starfall or a son/ of one? Take Edric as an example - should he have a daughter, who subsequently married into another Dornish House (say the Fowlers or Allyrions, for example) and bore a son......that son would be the grandson of the Lord of Starfall, but would not be named Dayne. Would he be eligible to be Sword of the Morning?

3 - In Dance we see Alys Karstark beg Jon's protection as a son of Eddard Stark as she was being forced to marry a man she did not want. What is the protocol for that in Westeros? Can a noble-born woman seek the protection and judgement of her father's/brother's liege lord if she does not want to marry the man chosen for her?

9 hours ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

Since I wouldn't want the story spoiled, I'd ask what were the mechanics behind the dragon hatching.

Yes, that would be very handy to know and it could shed light on a number of other mysteries that were created by the hatching of Drogon, Rhaegal and Viserion. Understanding exactly what occurred and why Dany was able to walk away from Drogos funeral pyre "unburnt" would explain Kings Blood, blood sacrifice, whether only death can pay for life, Targaryen fire resistance, MMD's powers,and a host of others along with the actual question you posed about the mechanics of dragon hatching, it would be the question that keeps on giving if only the George would kindly stumble into it.

Do the Royces follow the Old gods?

How old was Edwyle Stark when Willam died and Artos held his place as Lord?

Is Marillion alive?

Does Hodor/Walder have Frey/Crakehall blood?

How much daughters exactly did Old Nan have?

Are you quite happy the show is off in its own direction leaving you to focus more on the last books?

Did Cregan Stark marry Lynara and begin having kids quickly after the birth of Mariah with Alysanne or did he wait a certain amount of time?

These are only a few, I'd love to corner him and ask loads more! 

But being in the Land of always winter(Scotland) I won't get much chance :(

2 hours ago, dornishdame said:

3 - In Dance we see Alys Karstark beg Jon's protection as a son of Eddard Stark as she was being forced to marry a man she did not want. What is the protocol for that in Westeros? Can a noble-born woman seek the protection and judgement of her father's/brother's liege lord if she does not want to marry the man chosen for her?

That's a very interesting question, though it's not Alys Karstark's case; as Jon says, a castellan (as is her uncle) does not have the authority to arrange marriages. The lord of Karhold, who has the right to decide on Alys' marriage, is Harrion. If he dies (and maybe even while he's not available - that's the loophole Jon used to marry her off, that Lady (by capital L I mean that she's acting as ruling lady here) Alys gave her hand to Sigorn by her own decision) then the lordship goes to Alys herself who could then arrange the issue as she'd see it fit. So Alys' examble is a case of attempted usurpation of the lord/lady's rights and not a dispute of said rights by the affected party.

30 minutes ago, Arrow of the Morning said:

Other interesting questions:

- How Jon Connington reacted when Rhaegar give the crown of roses to Lyanna?

- What inspired you to create the bedding ceremony?

- Will we meet the Arbor in the next ASOIAF books or in some other book?

Good questions! Thank you. We may know the reaction to the first question ;)

The only questions I really want him to answer are the banned ones, and good luck getting a meaningful answer to interesting questions like 'what's up with the oily stones?'.

So seeing as I won't get answers for anything I really want to know, I'd probably ask something topical like:

"The recent 'Winter is Trumping' parody used the Wall to represent fears about Mexican immigration.  Dany's arc could represent the policy of democratization in the middle east; the end of the long summer could represent climate change. Tolkien claimed to cordially dislike allegory. Do you? Are such analogies coincidental? Can you tell us of an allegory you have used?"

What does the northmen who follow the Old Gods think of Trial by Seven ? Could they be judge by those kind of trial ? If not can they at least participate to the fight (fighting for someone who does follow the 7) ?

Concerning the second question, I think no man who doesn't follow the 7 would accept such a trial.

2 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:
3 hours ago, Arrow of the Morning said:

Other interesting questions:

- How Jon Connington reacted when Rhaegar give the crown of roses to Lyanna?

- What inspired you to create the bedding ceremony?

- Will we meet the Arbor in the next ASOIAF books or in some other book?

Good questions! Thank you. We may know the reaction to the first question ;)

We can imagine how JonCon reacted, showing surprise and sadness like "For the Gods, How Rhaegar could do that? Why crowning this Stark girl? That is just...sad, you know." But inside he would be like "WHAAT!!?? First the dornish, now this Northern girl?" But, I would like to hear what George envisioned.

I would ask what the name of the seat of the House Redwyne too. 

So we had Mysticon this past weekend and then Balticon coming up in a few weeks.

If you had the chance to rapid fire... say... one to three questions in a limited amount of time with George, what would they be??? Would you want to know more info pertaining to your own personal theories, or more of the overall plot as it is so far?

There are a few questions that people still ask that we know he will not answer right now for several reasons. This video is a clue as to what questions will get you no where with the author. Just a few chuckles from the audience :thumbsup:

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/george-rr-martin-faces-down-winds-winter-question-barrage-mysticon-515412

1. Why is Melisandre the "most misunderstood character" in the series?

2. Can a woman become High Septa?

3. Can the Faith try followers of other religions?

4. Is there complete religious tolerance in Westeros, or is it up to local lords to determine what religion is followed on their lands (if any?)

5. Has Arianne set her sights on becoming Queen?

6. How important are the wealthiest merchants and lawyers in Westeros?

Is the five part, single syllable form for giant names (Wun Weg Wun Dar Wun) a shout-out to Well Ing Ton Ma Ra? (Wellington Mara, NY Giants co-owner from 1959 to 2005)

Is Jaime Lannister (team colors of red and gold, based on west coast, maybe best at his position ever) a Joe Montana shout-out?

What is the average airspeed of an unladen raven?

Is there a name for the blue leaved, black barked trees around the HotU?

How old is the young weirwood heart tree at Riverrun?

Do you still think you can finish the series in seven books?

31 minutes ago, Ibbison from Ibben said:

Is the five part, single syllable form for giant names (Wun Weg Wun Dar Wun) a shout-out to Well Ing Ton Ma Ra? (Wellington Mara, NY Giants co-owner from 1959 to 2005)

Is Jaime Lannister (team colors of red and gold, based on west coast, maybe best at his position ever) a Joe Montana shout-out?

What is the average airspeed of an unladen raven?

Is there a name for the blue leaved, black barked trees around the HotU?

How old is the young weirwood heart tree at Riverrun?

Do you still think you can finish the series in seven books?

Should I ask if Melisandre floats??? ;)

I like the tree questions. I think those have Brewer chances of being answered more thoroughly like I feel history questions would. 

Archived