What would you ask the GRRM??? UPDATED

The Fattest Leech

So we had Mysticon this past weekend and then Balticon coming up in a few weeks. If you had the chance to rapid fire... say... one to three questions in a limited amount of time with George, what would they be??? Would you want to know more info pertaining to your own personal theories, or more of the overall plot as it is so far?

There are a few questions that people still ask that we know he will not answer right now for several reasons. This video is a clue as to what questions will get you no where with the author. Just a few chuckles from the audience :thumbsup:

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/george-rr-martin-faces-down-winds-winter-question-barrage-mysticon-515412

1. Why is Melisandre the "most misunderstood character" in the series?

2. Can a woman become High Septa?

3. Can the Faith try followers of other religions?

4. Is there complete religious tolerance in Westeros, or is it up to local lords to determine what religion is followed on their lands (if any?)

5. Has Arianne set her sights on becoming Queen?

6. How important are the wealthiest merchants and lawyers in Westeros?

Two others.

How long did the poisoner last, after he was tied to Dany's horse?

What was the fate of the Meereenese wine seller's daughters and their father?

1. Where does magic come from?

2. Which would he rather eat: a chicken the size of a dragon or twenty chicken-sized dragons?

Not in one sitting, mind.

It doesn’t matter what question I would ask. The response would be, keep reading.

m777z

Mar. 4th, 2016 04:12 pm (UTC)

Preview chapters?

Do you have any plans to release another TWOW preview chapter before season 6, like you did before the last two seasons?

(Regardless, I really appreciate that you take the time to update us on your life and work on your blog. Thanks for all you do!)

Link | Reply | Thread

grrm

Mar. 4th, 2016 08:22 pm (UTC)

Re: Preview chapters?

Maybe. Though I've already released and/or read a lot of chapters.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/4/2016 at 6:45 PM, SeanF said:

1. Why is Melisandre the "most misunderstood character" in the series?

2. Can a woman become High Septa?

3. Can the Faith try followers of other religions?

4. Is there complete religious tolerance in Westeros, or is it up to local lords to determine what religion is followed on their lands (if any?)

5. Has Arianne set her sights on becoming Queen?

6. How important are the wealthiest merchants and lawyers in Westeros?

Two others.

How long did the poisoner last, after he was tied to Dany's horse?

What was the fate of the Meereenese wine seller's daughters and their father?

I'm sensing a theme with these last two??? :cool4:

I will be at Balticon in the donation/dinner with George on May 26. Sadly, I was bumped from the head table and moved to the other "peon" tables because the website hadn't updated any availability info... but I still get a full course with the guy.

Thanks to all who have added questions so far and keep any new questions coming. I will have plenty o'notecards ready to fire! :)

Perhaps related to your wineseller question...

Re: Skahaz - Because of his different complexion and the way his name relates to the Skahazadhan, is he of an older native bloodline than the ruling Ghiscari (similar to First Men v. Andals)?

On 23 March 2016 at 9:36 PM, The Fattest Leech said:

I will be at Balticon in the donation/dinner with George on May 26. Sadly, I was bumped from the head table and moved to the other "peon" tables because the website hadn't updated any availability info... but I still get a full course with the guy.

Thanks to all who have added questions so far and keep any new questions coming. I will have plenty o'notecards ready to fire! :)

Steer clear of the roast pork ;) 

Also, you should settle your other thread and ask about consciousness when skinchanging, and whether one is able to function while skinchanging, whether that depends on individual ability and so on.

6 minutes ago, bemused said:

Perhaps related to your wineseller question...

Re: Skahaz - Because of his different complexion and the way his name relates to the Skahazadhan, is he of an older native bloodline than the ruling Ghiscari (similar to First Men v. Andals)?

This isn't really conclusive, but I always read this quote as Skahaz being of lower tier/less distinguished nobility

“Skahaz is Kandaq, Hizdahr Loraq. Your Radiance will forgive me, but only one who is not herself Ghiscari would not understand the difference. Oft have I heard that yours is the blood of Aegon the Conqueror, Jaehaerys the Wise, and Daeron the Dragon. The noble Hizdahr is of the blood of Mazdhan the Magnificent, Hazrak the Handsome, and Zharaq the Liberator.”
“His forebears are as dead as mine. Will Hizdahr raise their shades to defend Meereen against its enemies? I need a man with ships and swords. You offer me ancestors.”
“We are an old people. Ancestors are important to us. Wed Hizdahr zo Loraq..."

21 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

This isn't really conclusive, but I always read this quote as Skahaz being of lower tier/less distinguished nobility

Yes, but consider the source (the GG).. It's possible that Hizdahr claims to be able to trace his bloodline back to Old Ghis - tentatively, or not. (Heroic sounding ancestors, tapestries of Old Ghis' victories) 

Meereen began as / became a Ghiscari outpost, but it may already have been populated  by a weaker people, whose descendants don't consider themselves less noble.

On 23/3/2016 at 11:36 PM, The Fattest Leech said:

That's great! Have a nice time!

I thought of one more question: there's an apparent symbolism in Drogon's colouring, but is there a specific intended symbolism in the colours of the other two dragons? (or is it simply that they had to have a description and he just came up with those combinations)

On 2/27/2016 at 5:09 PM, The Fattest Leech said:

So we had Mysticon this past weekend and then Balticon coming up in a few weeks.

If you had the chance to rapid fire... say... one to three questions in a limited amount of time with George, what would they be??? Would you want to know more info pertaining to your own personal theories, or more of the overall plot as it is so far?

There are a few questions that people still ask that we know he will not answer right now for several reasons. This video is a clue as to what questions will get you no where with the author. Just a few chuckles from the audience :thumbsup:

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/george-rr-martin-faces-down-winds-winter-question-barrage-mysticon-515412

1. Did the God-on-Earth come from a race of space-faring aliens?

2. Did the Starks once rule all of Westeros during the Long Night?

3. Is Planetos part of the Thousand Worlds?

2 hours ago, bemused said:

Yes, but consider the source (the GG).. It's possible that Hizdahr claims to be able to trace his bloodline back to Old Ghis - tentatively, or not. (Heroic sounding ancestors, tapestries of Old Ghis' victories) 

Meereen began as / became a Ghiscari outpost, but it may already have been populated  by a weaker people, whose descendants don't consider themselves less noble.

Ah, I see what you mean now, got it. Interesting thought. I hadn't noticed Skahaz had a different complexion before.

• 1 month later...

Resurrecting the topic! Sorry for that. :D

I though in more questions

1) If you were a Hedge Knight or a Mystery Knight what would be your personal device?

2) Did you based some events in the books in the War of the Sicilian Vespers? 

3) Was Brandon Stark (Ned's brother) based in a real life person? If yes, who is he?

4) What was the fate of Blood and Cheese?

5) Which Kingsguard replaced Sir Gwayne Gaunt?

I'd ask him which passage, scene, or chapter in the series he was most proud of as a writer and why.

And I'd tell him he wasn't allowed to say the Red Wedding.

I have no idea what he'd say, but - purely in terms of language and atmosphere - he ought to be very proud of the Tower of Joy sequence and Bran's last gorgeous chapter under the weirwood.

De-lurking briefly with a small question I'd love to hear Martin comment on:

What happened to the other 31,000 gold dragons Sandor Clegane won at the Hand's Tourney? Spent on wine? Whores? Growing interest in the Iron Bank? Invested in mutual funds? Seems to me the former Lannister Hound would be set for life if that money was still around somewhere.

Archived