AMC's ‘The Terror’ (based on the novel by Dan Simmons)

AncalagonTheBlack

18 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I am up to episode 8 right now and there is something I'd like some more background on. I hope those amongst you who have read the book might help me understand the actions of one character

Reveal hidden contents

I wonder why the doctor tried to kill everyone in the tent and himself. Was he generally acting irrationally due to the lead poisoning or was there something else going on?

I got the impression it was hopelessness/depression and shame mixed with the lead making him irrational. When Mr. Collins told him about his bad thoughts Stanley said something like "we all feel the same" and then it turned out he had just been sitting in that room staring at a picture of his daughter for who knows how long, and I thought he looked a bit funny when Goodsir told him about the lead that he hadn't picked up on.

On 4/3/2018 at 1:44 PM, Trebla said:

My cable provider (Comcast) has the entire season available if you purchase a subscription of AMC Premiere for 4.99. I just watched ep. 4 and am about to watch ep. 5.

Good call! I didn’t know about this option but will definitely take advantage of it now. I watched the first 2 episodes today and was mad I would have to watch it week-to-week soon enough. 

On 15-4-2018 at 4:40 PM, The Drunkard said:

Reveal hidden contents

I got the impression it was hopelessness/depression and shame mixed with the lead making him irrational. When Mr. Collins told him about his bad thoughts Stanley said something like "we all feel the same" and then it turned out he had just been sitting in that room staring at a picture of his daughter for who knows how long, and I thought he looked a bit funny when Goodsir told him about the lead that he hadn't picked up on.

That's the only explanation that makes sense, but I still find it somewhat underwhelming. I still feel like they should have done more to set this up. 

On 15-4-2018 at 3:23 AM, RumHam said:

Reveal hidden contents

Blankey was killed and presumably had his soul sucked out after finding the northwest passage they'd been searching for. I'm pretty sure the forks thing was not in the book, he just realizes he's not gonna make it and is slowing everyone down and hangs back to have one last smoke and meet the creature (who he's escaped from twice at that point, I think they cut his second encounter with it out of the show) I assume the idea was the creature would swallow some forks and suffer internal damage

Tuunbaq survives in the book (and Crozier has his tongue bit off by it to join Lady Silence as one of his shamans.)  but I believe there is some suggestion that eating all those wicked dirty englishmen was making it ill. With the show you can either assume that, (and Hickey's evilness was just the last straw.) or that it was poisoned by eating all the lead poisoned men / the poisoned men at the end.  It seemed like Crozier did choke him but if it wasn't already on its last legs he would have just torn him apart. 

I have no idea what was up with the chains on that guy's face. He also said something like "close..." didn't he? So I thought maybe some deranged people who did that to him were gonna pop out but nope. I think the best answer is again the lead poisoning. He may have even done it to himself for all we know.

If you really liked the show you may consider reading the book. They didn't change much but they did omit a few bits. For example I was disappointed they didn't cover the end of the book when Crozier and Silence discover Terror a few years later in a totally different spot, suggesting that someone did make it back and sailed the ship south a ways. So if they had just stayed on Terror they would have been better off. 

I figured that happened to

Spoiler

Mr. Blankey

, still I hoped he somehow made it through. He was a really great sidecharacter :)

Spoiler

I do still think the fork thing was really bizarre. The beast survived getting hit with a canonball, so I don't see how a few forks would help to kill it ;) 

What Tuunbaq is concerned

Spoiler

I think I very much appreciate the ambiquity of its eventual fate. It allows room for Tuunbaq to be something cryptozoological creature but also for it to be a supernatural creature. I personally believe in my headcanon that Tuunbaq's body was killed by ingesting all that lead, but that the real deathstroke was eating the imperialistically minded Englishmen which made it impossible for the spirit to repair its host body

On the topic of the chains

Spoiler

Out of all the explanations I think I have read so far, I think the one that makes the most sense is that he did indeed do it to himself because of the lead induced madness. It was a great visual representation of their madness, which I can definitely appreciate.

I do think I probably won't read the book. I have read quite a few comparisons between the novel and the series and I kind of feel like the changes that were made for the TV series are generally improvements. There is always some loss in translation of course but fundamental plot points just seem more sensible in the series

Spoiler

Francis and Lady Silence getting together and having children is just :ack: for instance. The series' resolution was so much more poetic I feel.

• 1 month later...
24 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Uh, what?   There might be a season two?

For what it's worth when they first announced the show it was described as an anthology. I'm not sure if that means more arctic misadventures or a version of Simmon's other book about people being fucked on Everest while it's cold or whatever. The concerning part is when one of the showrunners says:

“Dave and I aren’t coming back for Season 2 by our choice. We’re just really excited to see what AMC does with what we’ve done. I’d like to go onto a smaller canvas [for my next project]. We’re both exhausted.”

I'm guessing AMC plans on making The Terror 2: Knockoff of The Thing and the producers didn't want to be involved. 

Which is not to say that I wouldn't watch the shit out of that. It's never made clear in the first season that the inuit aren't worshiping a shape shifting alien taking the form of a polar bear. 

I hope that's not what they do. I think they should make each season be about some pre-20th century mysterious disappearance, with supernatural elements added. Maybe such as

1. The Mary Celeste abandonment

2. The disappearance of the IX Legion into Britain in the 2nd Century.

3. The Vivaldi Brothers trying to sail out into the Atlantic to reach Asia in the 13th century.

4. The Roanoke Colonists

5. Aaron Burr's daughter disappearing at sea

6. The disappearance of Jesse Evans

22 hours ago, Fall Bass said:

I hope that's not what they do. I think they should make each season be about some pre-20th century mysterious disappearance, with supernatural elements added. Maybe such as

Yes please!

Although it's not that mysterious......They got their arses handed to them by the Celts obviously! B)

4 hours ago, The Number 10 said:

Although it's not that mysterious......They got their arses handed to them by the Celts obviously!

But what if . . . it wasn't just the Celts! What if this was in the midst of the Antonine Plague, and they were secretly getting picked off by the Elves/Aes Sidhe/etc? 

I joke about that, but it could be pretty entertaining. Have them trying to keep things together amidst the rising death toll from the disease, from raids and people found dead from mysterious wounds, from strange fey creatures in the forests, etc. 

On 5/22/2018 at 3:49 PM, Fall Bass said:

1. The Mary Celeste abandonment

3. The Vivaldi Brothers trying to sail out into the Atlantic to reach Asia in the 13th century.

4. The Roanoke Colonists

5. Aaron Burr's daughter disappearing at sea

6. The disappearance of Jesse Evans

Well you just gave me three new wikipedia articles to read, so thanks! I've always been fascinated by Roanoke and would love that. Dunno much about the IX Legion other than that they vanished. I could see AMC opting for the Mary Celeste just so AMC could reuse the ship set they built...

But I just don't hold out much hope that season two will be as great. With different show runners and no source material to draw from (presumably, but again I'm assuming AMC will be cheap.) It'll essentially be a different show. 

• 1 month later...

Didn't see that coming:

The new season will be set during World War II and follow the horrific journey of Japanese-Americans from life in Southern California to internment camps and war in the Pacific. Season 2 will be executive-produced by True Blood's Alexander Woo with Godzilla's Max Borenstein serving as the new showrunner. 10 new episodes are expected to arrive sometime in 2019.

http://www.tvguide.com/news/the-terrror-renewed-season-2/

FWIW, Borenstein was one of the five writers working on a pitch for an HBO successor. This news strongly suggests he's the project that was dropped for consideration, either because he decided showrunning The Terror was a better opportunity  or HBO wasn't taken with his pitch.

• 3 months later...

Derek Mio To Star In AMC Anthology Series

The next iteration will be set during World War II and center on an uncanny specter that menaces a Japanese-American community from its home in Southern California to the internment camps to the war in the Pacific. The 10-episode Season 2 is expected to air on AMC in 2019.

I still don't like that the showrunner's big credit is working on True Blood and seemingly no one from season one is involved. But I'll keep an open mind. 

• 6 months later...

The Terror: Infamy, will arrive on Monday, Aug. 12

Set during World War II, The Terror: Infamy centers on a series of bizarre deaths that haunt a Japanese-American community — and a young man’s journey to understand and combat the malevolent entity responsible. The cast includes Derek Mio (Greek), Kiki Sukezane (Lost in Space), George Takei (Star Trek), Cristina Rodlo (Universo’s El Vato), Shingo Usami, Naoko Mori (Absolutely Fabulous) and Miki Ishikawa (Hit).

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived