Who would you choose?

Rawrmawr

Okay, so I have read through countless warrior/strength/duel tier lists and there are two recurring themes that continue to grab me:

1. It depends on the circumstances. (E.g. Is it a 1v1? Is it a battle? Are they in their prime? Do they have armour? Are they in snow, on a ship, on a tightrope? Are they commanding others?)

2. We don't really have enough evidence to support most characters. (E.g. Ned Stark is generally considered as a fairly average swordsman, yet he survives Arthur Dayne with the help of Mr. Reed. This in itself is a pretty good feat, even though we only know AD from reputation. AD is in most people's top 3 usually, which furthers my point - we do not have enough evidence.)

Now we cannot do anything about my second point, as we can only ever be given the evidence presented to us. However, my idea is that I will give some scenarios and I would like people to make their choice(s). The scenarios will hopefully help to discard the first theme mentioned... hopefully. 

Note: Your choices do not have to win, they just need to present you with your best hope of survival/victory.

Scenario 1:

Someone is fighting for you in a trial by combat situation, much like our good friend Tyrion. You have first pick of everyone in the world at the time of AGoT chapter 1. The crown get to pick second. The fighters will be in the setting of the Game of Thrones show where The Mountain and Viper fight for Tyrion. 

Summary:

1v1, Fighter chooses their own weapon, Fight to the death. 

Who do you choose?

Scenario 2: 

The enemy is 9 Dothraki blood-riders lead by Khal Drogo. They have their normal weapons but they are not mounted. The setting is a field in the Dothraki sea.

You get to choose 5 people we have met in the books (Not heard of, or remembered. They must have been seen at the present time). The choices will be in their prime with weapons they have wielded, no mounts. 

Summary: 

5v10, Fighter chooses weapon previously wielded, fight to the death.

Scenario 3: 

You have 10,000 men-at-arms, 500 knights. Your opponent has the same. 

In an open-field battle setting at say, the trident.

Choose your commander. The opposition has Prime Robert as commander.

Make your choices. If you would like to say why you made them you can, some may find some of these scenarios easy. Give some scenarios of your own.

Scenario 1: Jaime Lannister. It's the safest choice against pretty much anyone the crowd picks. Even the Mountain or Oberyn.

Scenario 2: Garlan Tyrell, Rolland Storm, Sandor Clegane, Oberyn Martell, Qhorin Halfhand. All veteran fighters in close combat, and all the sort of fighters who would fare best against warriors on foot.

Scenario 3: Stannis Baratheon. Despite all the animosity in the world, I think Robert would still hesitate to fight his own brother. Plus Stannis knows him better than most so he'd have an idea on how to oppose him. Plus he will break before he bends.

Scenario 1. Oberyn Martell. in my opinion i think he could beat anybody in the realm. But in my situation, i would say, dont fuck about when you have him down! get the job done, keep your mouth shut and walk away from the body.

Scenario 2. Against Dothraki we need strong fearless fighters who wont piss their pants at the sight of 9 screamers and deadly as fuck sneaky nasty fighters who can really do damage.

I'll go Jorah Mormont. whatevers said about Jorah, the man is a formidable fighter and not much fazes him combat wise. Robert Baratheon, Gregor Clegane. And Oberyn martell and Howland reed to circle the outskirts of the fight inflicting venomous fatal wounds on the Dothraki while the bigger stronger guys engage them.

Scenario 3. Randall Tarly.

Scenario 1: I would pick Jaimes aswell, but during Tyrions trial he already lost his hand. Barristan is an old man. So due to lack of options I would propably pick Garlan Tyrell, although I´m not very happy with this one.

Scenario 2: I don´t think any seasoned veteran knight in hardened plate armour would be terrified of a half-naked dothraki screamer on foot. I´d just copy Flokis list on this one, only switching Oberyn with the mountain. Armour is going to be the dealbreaker on this one.

Scenario 3: Randyll Tarly is the only one that ever beat Robert, he´s got the best chance for all we know. But I honestly don´t think theres a commander around that´s better than robert in this situation.

1. Brienne, thank you. The opponent will not take her seriously and that's curtains. 

2. Bronn, Strong Belwas, Oberyn, Syrio, and Sandor. All of them have proven they can win on foot, and know how to deal with someone in or out of armor. I want fast, fearless, and no effing around. 

3. Tywin.  He has the patience Robert does not, to work every situation (afield or strategic) to his benefit. 

1)  Oddly enough, Bronn.  If we are going with GoT circumstances, and not current, he had the determination and skill to beat anyone. Mountain won, end of story, so how can anyone pick Oberyn?  So those picking Oberyn are admitting the Mountain is better? i do not understand...

2) No armor and no horses? i think Tyrion could handle that solo, but for the sake of playing...Beric-Thoros-Lem-Anguy (would pick them off at distance before they could start their girly screams.)

3) Roose Bolton.  I am not sold Tywin would have burned the Stony Sept.  He would have considered it, but I feel as though Roose is the only one who would have actually, "pulled the trigger" Robert had rage and momentum, burning some innocent village would help to quell that and make the next village re-consider supporting Robert.

Scenario 1: The fun choice would be Syrio Forel but if it is my life at stake I would choose Wun Weg Wun Dar Wun

Scenario 2: The fun choice would be "Big Bucket" Wull, ''Greatjon" Umber, Chella,  Timett son of Timett,  Shagga. The safe choice  any 5 Unsullied- they did very well against The Dothraki in the past

Scenario 3:  Randyll Tarly - he kicked Robert's ass once so it's safe to asume that he can do it again

1) Kingslayer. Best sword at the start of the series.

2) Sandor, Gregor, Mance Rayder, Jaime Lannister, and Barristan Selmy suited up as heavy as they can go. This is the most Interesting and hard to determine. Lots of strategies may work. The Dothraki get a lot of their advantage from being mounted. Take that away and what you have are fearless unarmored archers with blades that will not pierce heavy armor. I think the simplest solution is suit everyone up heavy and let the Dothraki come to them.

3) Randyll Tarly. Served Robert the Rebel his only defeat.

Scenario 1: Jaime

Scenario 2: Gregor, Sandor, Garlan, Wun Wun and Greatjon.

Remember that Dotrakhi are not familiar with knights and dont know how to fight them, just pick biggest guys with a lot of armor and you are safe.

Scenario 3: Stannis Baratheon.

5 hours ago, King Floki of the Ironborn said:

Scenario 3: Stannis Baratheon. Despite all the animosity in the world, I think Robert would still hesitate to fight his own brother. Plus Stannis knows him better than most so he'd have an idea on how to oppose him. Plus he will break before he bends.

good call on that one... I was struggling to think of someone for that scenario. I think I'm going to steal your answer haha.

scenario 1: Barristan Selmy - if I have to go down (and I'm assuming I will against the mountain) then I want the greatest living knight protecting me. Plus when he loses and I die people may think I wasnt guilty because Barristan was my guy

scenario 2: Gregor, Sandor, Jaime, the halfhand and syrio

scenario 3: see above

Scenario 1: Eddard Stark. He beat Dayne, who was supposedly the best in the kingdom. I would feel comfortable with him going up against the Mountain and being able to out-maneuver him. Kingslayer, not so much.

Scenario 2: Throwing out big dudes in plate armor against Dothraki screamers is a death wish. Just because they haven't fought against armored warriors doesn't mean they are suddenly inept. They're not just going to start hacking at the shield or breastplate to no avail. Remember, Drogo has never had his braid cut, so he must be somewhat cunning in battle. In full armor, fighting two on one, you would get gassed real quick, your guard would lower, and parrying would slow down, leaving joints vulnerable to attack(weakest part of armor).

With that said, my 5 are: Jorah Mormont, Benjen Stark, Loras Tyrell, Brienne of Tarth, and Daario Naharis.

Scenario 3: Rhaegar Targaryen. I want a rematch.

Scenario 1: I would choose Bronn- his strategy has been shown to work before and is quite similar to Oberyn's (who only lost because of his arrogance) I think Bronn would be able to handle just about anyone, and is ruthless enough to just get the job done. No toying around (Jaime) or demanding confessions (Viper)

Scenario 2: Even dismounted, the Dothraki are fierce opponents. That said, I would choose Jorah (who's already killed one of Drogo's bloodrider's before), The Hound, Barristan Selmy (even at his age he killed Hizdhar's bodyguard; who was using an arakh; in ADWD), Mance Rayder (used a greatsword and surprising speed to defeat Jon in a spar) and finally Oberyn (his spear's range counter's any Dothraki skill, and in this case he has no personal grievance)

Scenario 3- I'd love to say Robb, but his skill lies with cavalry based ambush's. So I'd say Tarly, who dealt Robert (and actually the rebels as a whole) their only defeat. He was actually outnumbered in that battle, if I remember correctly. Imagine what he could do with an equally sized army.

1. Oberyn. He took down Gregor, so I figure I'll be safe.

2. 5 vs 10 is still not fair to the Dothraki, as they're unarmored and unhorsed. I'll take Jaime, Sandor, Oberyn, Barristan, Robert.

3. This sounds like a regular battle, which means luck will play a huge part. Gods dispense luck. GRRM is the god of this universe and he has his favorites. I'll take Tyrion or Dany. God will weigh things in their favor. 

Scenario 1- Jamie Lannister: Don't know if we come across anyone alive in the books that is better (Possibly Barristan if he was in his prime) 

Scenario 2- Jamie Lannister, Oberyn Martell, Gregor Clegane, Strong Belwas, Syrio Forel: Good mix of fighters their speed, skill and strength should stand me well

Scenario 3- Rob Stark or Blackfish: Simply because they won many decisive victories against a much favoured Tywin Lannister 

1. Two-handed Jaime. Barristan is an expert on fighting, and while he hated Jaime as a person refers to him as one of the best.

2. The Brothers Clegane, Oberyn, Bronn, and Jorah. I specifically would want a variety of fighters and styles to keep the Dothraki off-balance, and all of these characters can keep their composure in a situation like this.

3. Randyll Tarly. He's the only commander to ever beat Robert, and he pretty much gives you a perfect hybrid of Stannis, Tywin, and Robert himself.

1) Jaime

2) For unmounted combat against unarmoured opponents, you can't go better than Mance, the Halfhand and Bronn. My only concern is that they'd fight as individuals rather than as a group. I'll also add Jaime again. I'll also have Selmy, who will be responsible for keeping the Dothraki away from me.

Wait, do they have do to be human? I'll actually go with Drogon, Viserion, Rhaegal, Wun Weg Wun Dar Wun, and I'll throw in Selmy for the same reason as above.

3) My first choice for a battle commander would usually be Stannis, but how he'll behave against Robert and vice-versa is completely unpredictable. Stannis usually keeps a calm head, except where Robert is concerned. Stannis will either be the best or worst person to choose to fight against his brother, depending on how they got again that situation. How Robert will react to fighting Stannis is also hard to predict - it may could work for or against me.

Having said that, I'll have go with the Blackfish.

1. Bronze Yohn Royce - He is the size of the Hound, an experienced veteran of wars and tournaments. He beats Thoros of Myr in a melee and is able to knock down Ned and Rodrik Cassel at the same time.

Probably second choice Garlan Tyrell.

2. Bronze Yohn, Areo Hotah, the Hound, Garlan Tyrell and Brienne of Tarth. 4 of them are huge people who will be protected by armor and carve the Dothraki like turducken. Garlan is good at fighting several opponents.

3. Stannis Baratheon. He is a great general. He is more tactical than Robert so that's a bonus. I don't think someone similar to Robert Baratheon (leads from the front, huge morale, who dares wins tactics) would be a good choice, they'd just do an inferior version of him.

55 minutes ago, The Kind Of Kindly Man said:

Scenario 3- Rob Stark or Blackfish: Simply because they won many decisive victories against a much favoured Tywin Lannister 

3. When did they beat TYWIN? During the Wo5K, Tywin was in 3 battles. Greek Fork (Roose Bolton was the opposing general, Blackfish and Robb were in the Wispering Wood), Battle of the Fords (against Edmure and the Rivermen, Blackfish was with Robb in Westerlands), and Blackwater (against Stannis, Robb and Blackfish still in Westerlands).

1 minute ago, GallowsKnight said:

2. Bronze Yohn, Areo Hotah, the Hound, Garlan Tyrell and Brienne of Tarth. 4 of them are huge people who will be protected by armor and carve the Dothraki like turducken. Garlan is good at fighting several opponents.

2. Who among these do you not consider huge? Garlan? I always pictured him at least as big as Brienne.

27 minutes ago, Raisin' Bran said:

3. When did they beat TYWIN? During the Wo5K, Tywin was in 3 battles. Greek Fork (Roose Bolton was the opposing general, Blackfish and Robb were in the Wispering Wood), Battle of the Fords (against Edmure and the Rivermen, Blackfish was with Robb in Westerlands), and Blackwater (against Stannis, Robb and Blackfish still in Westerlands).

2. Who among these do you not consider huge? Garlan? I always pictured him at least as big as Brienne.

Garlan is probably quite tall by Westerosi and modern standards. I know he is taller than Loras. But I don't think he is Briene/Yohn/Hound/Hotah size. But I'm not clear actually on his exact height.

6 hours ago, PyroclasticFlow said:

Scenario 2: Throwing out big dudes in plate armor against Dothraki screamers is a death wish. Just because they haven't fought against armored warriors doesn't mean they are suddenly inept. They're not just going to start hacking at the shield or breastplate to no avail. Remember, Drogo has never had his braid cut, so he must be somewhat cunning in battle. In full armor, fighting two on one, you would get gassed real quick, your guard would lower, and parrying would slow down, leaving joints vulnerable to attack(weakest part of armor).

10 versus 5 isn't 2 versus 1. These things don't scale identically. With 5 knights you can fight back to back. Limiting the available space to fight. Dothraki have to fight 1 after each other or bunch up.

Dothraki Arakhs aren't designed to stab. They aren't Khophesh like swords fromt the show either. They are basically curved scimitars. Those joints aren't going to be as vulnerable.

Drogo is cunning fighting other Dothraki and perhaps the occasional Bravo or Sell Sword. Not fully armoured trained from birth knights.

Archived